SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

daveangel

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 8:27 am

Quote BTW: where did we wind up on the question of commas? Oxford-Harvard convention or... just accept that it is wrong on all sorts of levels .. embrace life without superfluous commas
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

rmax

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 8:45 am

So we have had a major discussion about the Oxford Comma in my group. We have decided the following:Oxford comma should be applied when there is list, but removed in all other cases. To extend TS's example:There were some baskets filled fruits: apples, oranges and strawberriesThis implies that there is a basket filled with apples and another filled oranges and strawberrieswhere as:There were some baskets filled fruits: apples, oranges, and strawberriesimpliex that there are three baskets, one with apples one with oranges and one with strawberries.However we have still not resolved the:if(a,b,c){<code.}if(abc){ <code>}if(abc) { <code> }or multiples thereof....

Cuchulainn

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 8:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote BTW: where did we wind up on the question of commas? Oxford-Harvard convention or... just accept that it is wrong on all sorts of levels .. embrace life without superfluous commasThat's what Molly Bloom did.

daveangel

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 9:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote BTW: where did we wind up on the question of commas? Oxford-Harvard convention or... just accept that it is wrong on all sorts of levels .. embrace life without superfluous commasThat's what Molly Bloom did.Did she find happiness ? I couldn't get through the soliloquy

Cuchulainn

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 10:11 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote BTW: where did we wind up on the question of commas? Oxford-Harvard convention or... just accept that it is wrong on all sorts of levels .. embrace life without superfluous commasThat's what Molly Bloom did.Did she find happiness ? I couldn't get through the soliloquyIn scholary circles the answer seems to be "yes, yes, yes" or "yes yes yes".
Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 10:43 am

So the proper thread title should be:"Rand'm, photo's, 'n post's"
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on July 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 11:04 am

Note the lack of oxford comma in the list of David's David, David, David

daveangel

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 11:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNote the lack of oxford comma in the list of David's David, David, Davidnoted - but shouldn't that be Davids ?

rmax

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 12:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNote the lack of oxford comma in the list of David's David, David, Davidnoted - but shouldn't that be Davids ?D'oh. Correct! So much for me being a pedant!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by rmax on July 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Since we have some people with an allegiance to Oxford and others to Harvard here (and some people who despise both of these great institutions), perhaps we should employ the term "serial comma" to avoid any unpleasantness.Here is an entire website devoted to extolling and explicating the comma: Comma CloutYou will be delighted to find that it covers other hotly contentious topics as well:Punctuation Fascination.gr8 grammarApostrophe AbuseApostrophe CatastrophesApostrophe PoliceApostrophismcApItAl cRiMeSGrammar PoliceGuide to PunctuationThe "blog" of "unnecessary"quotation marksThe Comma
Last edited by trackstar on July 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 12:51 pm

What about:HyphenventilationSemicolonic TreatmentsExclamation BakesPeriod Dramas

rmax

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 1:03 pm

For me the best source of how to write well is The Economist Style GuideIn most cases it is correct unless there is something technical (e.g. disagree with their use of the term "Funding" would be laughed out of every institution if I argued that one). IMHO required reading.

trackstar

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

To Traden's List we could add:Dangling ModifiersPropositionsLinguistics of all varietiesfollowed by Malapropismand finally, Conjugation, Conjunction and Declension (Boy, would that be a grammatical night to remember!)
Last edited by trackstar on July 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 2:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNote the lack of oxford comma in the list of David's David, David, Davidnoted - but shouldn't that be Davids ?D'oh. Correct! So much for me being a pedant!!!!!!!!!!Almost.I think " Davids " is not complete. If you use " Davids' " it gives a pointer to the context, i.e. the film.

Cuchulainn

Random photo's

July 13th, 2011, 5:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarSince we have some people with an allegiance to Oxford and others to Harvard here (and some people who despise both of these great institutions), perhaps we should employ the term "serial comma" to avoid any unpleasantness.Here is an entire website devoted to extolling and explicating the comma: Comma CloutYou will be delighted to find that it covers other hotly contentious topics as well:Punctuation Fascination.gr8 grammarApostrophe AbuseApostrophe CatastrophesApostrophe PoliceApostrophismcApItAl cRiMeSGrammar PoliceGuide to PunctuationThe "blog" of "unnecessary"quotation marksThe CommaQuoteFrom gramma's grammar she has it that if there is a third person, mascarine, phelinine or nuder, being spoken abad it moods prosodes from a person speaking to her second which is the direct object that has been spoken to, with and at. Take the dative with his oblative5 for, even if obsolete, it is always of interest, so spake gramma on the impetus of her imperative, only mind your genderous towards his reflexives such that I was to your grappa I don't mind the commas, its your apostrophe's I'm worried about.. All of you.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On