Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ExSan

People overly aggressive on Wilmott

July 29th, 2011, 3:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsAnd what do you think it's the reason.abuse of anonimity
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

trackstar

July 29th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Well, there is some liberation in that and personally, I think it's fine when people cut loose on each other, as long as both parties are anonymous.It is a bit unfair when one of them has a known identity.So farmer v eman, ppauper v Jan Dash, random Wilmotters against kurtosis or numbersix...Then you should either reveal yourself or hold yourself to a higher standard.Aside from that, let it rip.
Last edited by trackstar on July 28th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermion

July 29th, 2011, 5:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarWell, there is some liberation in that and personally, I think it's fine when people cut loose on each other, as long as both parties are anonymous.It is a bit unfair when one of them has a known identity.So farmer v eman, ppauper v Jan Dash, random Wilmotters against kurtosis or numbersix...Then you should either reveal yourself or hold yourself to a higher standard.Aside from that, let it rip. I do not hide my identity either. I think anyone who speaks in a public forum -- particularly if they criticize another -- should not hide behind anonymity. It's pure cowardice. A snake in the grass. But it is so typical of those who thrive on capitalist corruption to defend it here without disclosing their own role.

trackstar

July 29th, 2011, 5:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI never come across aggression here, must be my narrow interest for limited types topics?Or you live in a society where bizarre behavior is the norm.

GiusCo

July 29th, 2011, 5:29 pm

This website is the best I've found in a while. Such a field is rival to twoplustwo's for poker: smart people, stars, ordinary folks and outsiders in healthy amount.I'm not sure I would ever land one energy job in London but I'm sure I want to come here twice a week and taste the road.

farmer

July 29th, 2011, 5:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionBut it is so typical of those who thrive on capitalist corruption to defend it here without disclosing their own role.I don't participate in capitalism. I inherited money, and my main interest is corrupting young girls.

Anthis

July 29th, 2011, 7:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsSo, we're notoriously rude people here -- with some exceptions. Trackstar, you're lovely.Do you think this is real-life quanty cynical behavior or standard online aggressiveness or a lethal combination of the two.No one is aggresive here. Its just the discussions that are intense. Exception is farmer, when he is bashed by his wife, he comes over here to calm....

tags

July 29th, 2011, 8:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GiusCoThis website is the best I've found in a while. Such a field is rival to twoplustwo's for poker: smart people, stars, ordinary folks and outsiders in healthy amount.I'm not sure I would ever land one energy job in London but I'm sure I want to come here twice a week and taste the road.i agree with you Giusco !wilmott is one of my most preferred websites.i don't think i have ever replied harshly to messages on the forums.this morning i was fired by a guy on a french website dedicated to trading.too bad, i simply that no one pushes him to answer the questions.and that's it.

ExSan

July 29th, 2011, 8:16 pm

so far Brainteaser Forum is clean,
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

Traden4Alpha

July 29th, 2011, 8:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: ExSanso far Brainteaser Forum is clean,not for me! I've seen some intense hysteria over there. It has high kurtosis though.. I can give you that.Ah, yes. The arctan and inverse ABS debates!

Traden4Alpha

July 29th, 2011, 8:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThe brainteasers section sometimes reveals a glimpse what insanity lies beneath: it's either scary polite -full of humble and bird-and-bees - reactions, or snaps into slayer scene's from Wolfenstein -running around with machine guns with the noses powdered- Exactly! When someone goes ballistic over Israel, Islam, or political ideology, then it's easy to excuse the behaviour as a product of naturally emotional topics. But arctan?!?!?!I guess that's why they call some functions irrational.