Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

CrashedMint
Topic Author

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 3:21 pm

Very insightful. Edit: The Economist likes it too. ;-)
Last edited by CrashedMint on July 31st, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 4:12 pm

yes, but also very very gross

CrashedMint
Topic Author

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 4:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsyes, but also very very grossactually compared to the tea party's stance on a lot of issues i'd say it's decent, wholesome, fun for the whole family material
Last edited by CrashedMint on July 30th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 5:00 pm

Talking about gross and you, I just re-read american psycho. How great is that? EDIT: gross PB, not you
Last edited by DevonFangs on July 30th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frenchX

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 6:21 pm

The chinese wouldn't laugh too much if the worst would happen since they are the major holder of Tbill.@Devon : Is American Psycho good ? I have heard mixed review about this book. The movie is great though.
Last edited by frenchX on July 30th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 6:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXThe chinese wouldn't laugh too much if the worst would happen since they are the major holder of Tbill.@Devon : Is American Psycho good ? I have heard mixed review about this book. The movie is great though.i will answer anyways the film basically is the tamed-down version of the book. So if you like the film you will probably like the book even more.

frenchX

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 7:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXThe chinese wouldn't laugh too much if the worst would happen since they are the major holder of Tbill.@Devon : Is American Psycho good ? I have heard mixed review about this book. The movie is great though.i will answer anyways the film basically is the tamed-down version of the book. So if you like the film you will probably like the book even more.Thanks CrashedMint, I have never doubted that you are a great fan of this film (as me for Cowboy Bebop ).

CrashedMint
Topic Author

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 7:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXThe chinese wouldn't laugh too much if the worst would happen since they are the major holder of Tbill.@Devon : Is American Psycho good ? I have heard mixed review about this book. The movie is great though.i will answer anyways the film basically is the tamed-down version of the book. So if you like the film you will probably like the book even more.Thanks CrashedMint, I have never doubted that you are a great fan of this film (as me for Cowboy Bebop ).actually in a weird way one of the movie's themes is very close to that jesse james film (the one from Andrew Dominik and Brad Pitt) which btw is AWESOME.

ppauper

tea party explained

July 31st, 2011, 11:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintVery insightful.how so: the House passed Boehner's bill but the Senate rejected it.

hayes

tea party explained

August 1st, 2011, 5:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintVery insightful.how so: the House passed Boehner's bill but the Senate rejected it.For someone who follows US politics so closely, I'm surprised you don't already know the answer to that question. Here you go.Either Boeher's bill or the Democratic one could've been the best in the world and neither had a chance of getting through both houses. The only solution was always going to come when the President and Republican leaders decided that enough political points had been scored and mud had been thrown, (until next time).I got sick of reading about it this weekend so instead I watched The West Wing version "Lockdown" and pretended that that was real life.

ppauper

tea party explained

August 1st, 2011, 8:14 am

I'm actually wondering whether the Senate is violating Article I, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution as money bills must originate in the House. Obama, the House and the Senate all share responsibility for the current situation, and for CM to blame the tea party when the House has passed a bill is disingenuous.The budget deficit needs tackling, and the sooner the better.

hayes

tea party explained

August 1st, 2011, 9:32 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI'm actually wondering whether the Senate is violating Article I, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution as money bills must originate in the House. Obama, the House and the Senate all share responsibility for the current situation, and for CM to blame the tea party when the House has passed a bill is disingenuous.The budget deficit needs tackling, and the sooner the better.Sounds like the system needs sorting too. It is easy to say this with hindsight, but the current set of processes has clearly failed at multiple points over the last few days (and decades).I think the Tea Party Movement has polarised politics rather than aided partisanship, but at the end of the day they're a vocal, well organised minority group doing a very good job on speaking up for their members. I'm pretty sure that during the early Bush Jnr days (and much earlier) there was already talk of polarised politics and the TP weren't around then. Maybe the Tea Party Movement is a symptom, rather than a cause.

farmer

tea party explained

August 1st, 2011, 9:45 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesI think the Tea Party Movement has polarised politicsObama is governing against the will of the people. He passed his healthcare takeover against huge opposition in the polls. The bigger government gets, and the more it gets into people's lives, the more it destroys individual choice and preference. But when the government approaches dictatorship and runs roughshod over individuality and freedom, like a typical totalitarian you blame the individual citizen for being "polarized" in his own interests. Lol, I guess the people should be particles with no charge at all.

farmer

tea party explained

August 1st, 2011, 9:52 am

And of course when someone wants to destroy the country, there will be polarization with people who want to preserve it. Obama wants to raise tax rates? Of course the higher rates he has in mind will never get paid and revenues will drop. The only way to raise revenue by raising rates at this point, is to raise rates on people with children making around $100,000 a year. They have no choice but to keep working, keep working in the US, and pay the higher rates. Everyone else just goes offshore, goes on welfare, goes off the books, or does something that results in lower revenue.

farmer

tea party explained

August 1st, 2011, 9:55 am

People voted for Obama because he is black, not because they wanted their country destroyed.They deserve to have it destroyed, but you can't blame them for wanting to worm out of it now, or call them "polarized" lol...