SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: norway

May 16th, 2020, 11:46 pm

What's the level of veterinary care in Norway, Oslo? Are they capable of comprehending that some people love non-human animals, in particular felines, more than other people, and providing adequate services?

bearish

May 17th, 2020, 1:42 pm

The average Norwegian would probably be skeptical, but you should find plenty of kindred spirits amongst those who have self-selected into a career dedicated to serving animals. I don’t specifically know about cats, but there is certainly the opportunity to spend inordinate amounts of money on dog care.

Cuchulainn

May 17th, 2020, 2:49 pm

What's the level of veterinary care in Norway, Oslo? Are they capable of comprehending that some people love non-human animals, in particular felines, more than other people, and providing adequate services?
Dr. Pol

katastrofa

May 17th, 2020, 7:36 pm

The average Norwegian would probably be skeptical, but you should find plenty of kindred spirits amongst those who have self-selected into a career dedicated to serving animals. I don’t specifically know about cats, but there is certainly the opportunity to spend inordinate amounts of money on dog care.
Thanks. Sounds like the UK (but hopefully at a higher standard, like most things I tried in Oslo).
From my experience, a good indicator of a serious vet is the consultation fee. If it's high, they won't perform unnecessary procedures, vaccinations, etc. to top up the bill.

katastrofa

May 26th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Økologisk kylling is more expensive than organic chicken. I wonder why. You feed your cats with elg og hval?

katastrofa

May 29th, 2020, 9:23 pm

I have a serious question. If someone decides to live in this beautiful country far from the maddening crowd, but owns properties in the EU or not in the EU and earns abroad, do they still have to pay A HELL LOT OF MONEY in wealth tax??? No country for Russian oligarchs ;-(

bearish

May 29th, 2020, 11:10 pm

Given that the current top wealth tax rate is something like 0.7%, you need a lot of property to generate “A HELL OF A LOT OF MONEY” in wealth tax obligations. If you are following the saga of Mr Tangen and the oil fund, you can see how it’s done. But I haven’t chosen to go down this path for other reasons, so am hardly qualified to offer more than a drive-by opinion.

katastrofa

May 30th, 2020, 11:34 am

I've read that state + municipal tax is 0.85% in total. Not a lot of money if I was Talsen, but I hoped renting my flat in London would cover my rent in Oslo.

BTW, isn't it crazy in itself that just one person is in charge of the actual hell lot of money that the oil fund is?

Cuchulainn

May 30th, 2020, 1:08 pm

I have a serious question. If someone decides to live in this beautiful country far from the maddening crowd, but owns properties in the EU or not in the EU and earns abroad, do they still have to pay A HELL LOT OF MONEY in wealth tax??? No country for Russian oligarchs ;-(
Thomas Hardy
Far from the Madding Crowd.

Cuchulainn

May 30th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Økologisk kylling is more expensive than organic chicken. I wonder why. You feed your cats with elg og hval?
Bigger environmental clawprint?
Price (fancy name) = 2 X price (lingua franca name)

bearish

May 30th, 2020, 3:03 pm

I've read that state + municipal tax is 0.85% in total. Not a lot of money if I was Talsen, but I hoped renting my flat in London would cover my rent in Oslo.

BTW, isn't it crazy in itself that just one person is in charge of the actual hell lot of money that the oil fund is?
My understanding of the operation of the oil fund is that it is not all that different from other large, largely passive and rule bound asset managers. As such, one should probably not overstate the importance of the CEO/CIO from an investments perspective, but especially in times of trouble and turbulence (should such things ever occur again) they are likely to serve as lightning rods to the press and politicians. Why somebody of Tangen's wealth and stature would actually want the job is a bit of mystery to me, but maybe I have the question the wrong way around. Because of his wealth he can shrug off the millions of dollars (or tens of millions of kroner, as it may be) per year that it will cost him to take the job and relocate to Norway; and with his stature in the international finance community as a long-term successful hedge fund manager he can ignore what the little people in Norway think of him. I don't know - this still only argues that the cost side of the story is smaller than I would initially perceive, and does not address the benefits. 

katastrofa

May 30th, 2020, 5:54 pm

I've always though that, out of statistics, one can't be a successful HF manager indefinitely :-)

Born in a nice place like Kristiansand, Tangen must be terribly proud to be Norwegian, plus men never stop being ambitious - they just get lazy. "CEO of the Norwegian Pension Fund, one of the world's largest funds" might sound appealing to him. Just thinking.

katastrofa

June 5th, 2020, 12:42 pm

In the meantime up there in Alta...

(BTW, correctamundment: the wealth tax for properties is for 30% of their market value)

bearish

June 5th, 2020, 1:16 pm

The mudslide tax, on the other hand, 100%!

Cuchulainn

June 5th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Deforestation, wells, most likely.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On