SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector

Re: norway

April 5th, 2018, 11:11 am

Viking seafarers may have navigated with legendary crystals

"A millennium ago, Viking navigators may have used crystals known as “sunstones” to navigate between Norway and settlements in Greenland. "

"can split a beam of sunlight to form two images, with polarized light taking a slightly different path than the main beam. By looking at the sky through such a crystal and then rotating it so the two images are equally bright, it’s possible to spot the rings of polarized light that surround the sun, even under cloudy skies."

I have a decent size sunstone!

tw

April 5th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Sounds like hippie new age stuff

No wonder the real tough vikings went to Normandy

:)
Viking seafarers may have navigated with legendary crystals

"A millennium ago, Viking navigators may have used crystals known as “sunstones” to navigate between Norway and settlements in Greenland. "

"can split a beam of sunlight to form two images, with polarized light taking a slightly different path than the main beam. By looking at the sky through such a crystal and then rotating it so the two images are equally bright, it’s possible to spot the rings of polarized light that surround the sun, even under cloudy skies."

I have a decent size sunstone!

Traden4Alpha

April 5th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Interesting! I too have a sunstone -- a largish brick-crystal of calcite.

It's also important to note all the cues a sailor has for navigation: the wind, orientation of ocean waves, clouds, sun, polarization, and even magnetism (many animals and perhaps some humans have internal magnetic compasses.)

In the context of a seafaring people, those individuals who have the best sense/knowledge of direction would both be fitter in the Darwinian sense and likely to be made navigators on ships.

Cuchulainn

April 6th, 2018, 10:37 am

Born in the ice-blue waters of the festooned Norwegian coast; amplified (by an aberration of world currents, for which marine geographers have yet to find a suitable explanation) along the much grayer range of the Californian Pacific; viewed by some as a typhoon, by some as a tsunami, and by some as a storm in a teacup — a tidal wave is hitting the shores of the computing world.  

ppauper
Topic Author

June 25th, 2018, 5:14 am

Collector

June 25th, 2018, 10:03 am

I though that advertisement just was to keep the britons out?

ppauper
Topic Author

June 25th, 2018, 10:30 am

touché

Cuchulainn

June 25th, 2018, 11:35 am

touché
And what about other nations?

Collector

June 25th, 2018, 2:20 pm

touché
the same advertisement likely to attract the french and the Swedes?

Cuchulainn

June 25th, 2018, 4:39 pm

touché
the same advertisement likely to attract the french and the Swedes?
Stop! don't encourage them.

Collector

July 18th, 2018, 3:29 pm

Drought disastrous for mushroom season

Icelandic Hay Needed in Norway

Drought may force cattle slaughter

a small feast before we all have to go vegan and eat only mushrooms, and when no more mushrooms we have to go west!! 

"– There are absolutely no mushrooms to be found at the moment and that is very abnormal."

No reason to go East:

Sweden seeks European Commission’s help for farmers facing historic drought

I think I once wrote something like: central banks can print money, but not food!

Too bad Oslo academics expelled the cloud buster Man, RainMan: (and the FBI paranoia not so much better, burnt his books)

katastrofa

July 18th, 2018, 11:59 pm

It didn't look that bad last week on our escapades to the islands near Stockholm (Finnhamn is great for hiking). I've seen people with full baskets of mushroom. The forests were dry, but it's nothing unusual during the summer.
BTW, it took me a while to figure out Swedes, but in the end I found the only reason I needed to love them. Initially they seemed aggressive and hostile, no form or custom I would manage to recognise, and in the streets - walking like cows in Delhi. In interaction, however, they were so jovial and authentic that I felt like I was back in my corner of Ukraine with my family and neighbours (not because there were many similarities, but because they made me feel so at ease).

bearish

July 19th, 2018, 1:54 am

It didn't look that bad last week on our escapades to the islands near Stockholm (Finnhamn is great for hiking). I've seen people with full baskets of mushroom. The forests were dry, but it's nothing unusual during the summer.
BTW, it took me a while to figure out Swedes, but in the end I found the only reason I needed to love them. Initially they seemed aggressive and hostile, no form or custom I would manage to recognise, and in the streets - walking like cows in Delhi. In interaction, however, they were so jovial and authentic that I felt like I was back in my corner of Ukraine with my family and neighbours (not because there were many similarities, but because they made me feel so at ease).
As you are undoubtedly aware, one theory holds that the Rus people, who dominated your general part of the world a thousand years ago or so, were Swedish Vikings. What they are doing in a thread about Norway is unclear...

Touching on the Scandi drought question, it’s bad. Very bad.

Collector

July 19th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Norwegian royal properties must stop watering the gardens following drought

I visited Oscarshall the other day, about 1/3 of the Royal bushes already died due to lack off water so far.

"The irrigation ban in Oslo also applies to the parks. Therefore, our irrigation facilities in the castle park have now been switched off."

"It is allowed to water by hand"   can't they order the Royal Guards to carry water? lazy these days?

It will be a good fall for people selling garden plants!

katastrofa

July 19th, 2018, 2:03 pm

As you are undoubtedly aware, one theory holds that the Rus people, who dominated your general part of the world a thousand years ago or so, were Swedish Vikings. What they are doing in a thread about Norway is unclear...

Touching on the Scandi drought question, it’s bad. Very bad.
Where I'm from the climate has even hotter summers. The forests are closed when the draught hits in. Maybe they should introduce similar measures in other countries... BTW, it's good to put out some water for wildlife (birds, hedgehogs, and all that).
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On