SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector

Re: norway

July 19th, 2018, 4:01 pm

hot-tempered should not be confused with low perception and drought!

katastrofa

July 19th, 2018, 9:54 pm

I'm not hot-tempered. I'm unnaturally calm and patient - when my cats dug their nails in my skin, my niece combs my hair, tourists and banksters walk into my way, ppauper posts alt-right articles... I just don't waste water on hogwash.
Well, I committed a sin yesterday. I lost track of time when preparing for a theatre visit (King Lear with Ian McKellen / Shakespeare with a Tarantino streak). Given the time constraints, I whispered the shortest available word summarising the circumstances (my husband was to meet me at the theatre and I didn't want to disappoint him). I run like crazy and I arrived on time, jumping into my row from the stage at the last minute (another proof how cool I am - the staff directed me to the wrong door and I had to climb onto the scene to get to my row) - wet like a pig, wearing an embroidered evening dress and trainers :-D

That was my walkthrough: from "sh*t", through the underground with people shooting strange looks at me, straight into my seat. Nice game, BTW, with PhysX.

tw

July 20th, 2018, 6:13 am

It will be a good fall for people selling garden plants!
It could be an extremely interesting fall for power traders also!

Nordic hydro levels:

Collector

July 20th, 2018, 9:11 am

It will be a good fall for people selling garden plants!
It could be an extremely interesting fall for power traders also!

Nordic hydro levels:

indeed, very interesting times for electricity traders.

ppauper
Topic Author

July 24th, 2018, 5:19 am

And what about other nations?
the same advertisement likely to attract the french and the Swedes?
Stop! don't encourage them.
the french have it already
pack a capote anglaise

Collector

July 28th, 2018, 9:16 am

today a tourist walked off a cruise ship in svalbard and was attacked by polar bear. the bear was then sadly shot. likely (?) if he had carried a 44 magnum he could have scared off the bear before attacked and saved a great life! Unfortunately bear spray is not allowed there (stupid rule), but this tourist would likely not have carried that either.

the tourist airlifted to hospital...

polar bears can attack, my father attacked by one in 1960/70's

also the amounts of guns per habitant at svalbard is likely among the highest in the world, but no one shooting each other (person to person, person to bear it happens yes) and a lot of trust, and great friendly atmosphere. I also rented a car there once, the car-rental firm asked me to just leave the key in the car and not unlock the car and just leave it in town when finished with it, then they would pick it up later.   localism, where people trust each other? or something to do with the cold climate, people stay calm? dont get hot-tempered?

and not so easy to drive away with a car, as only 20 km's of "road" I think...and one of the roads are really bad (the last part of the one going to bear valley), 4-wheel drive a must, and high clearance under the car

bearish

July 28th, 2018, 10:16 am

This does not really belong in the Norway thread, but since this is the OT, here is a vaguely related classic:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

ppauper
Topic Author

July 29th, 2018, 10:41 am

Collector

July 29th, 2018, 12:03 pm

"Norwegian authorities said a polar bear attacked and injured a polar bear guard "
first they said tourist, now it is a polar bear guard. Unexperienced? bad luck, or both...
if he was polar bear guard he should have gun ready, and should have shot warning shots before bear got too close.   

"The polar bear was then shot dead "in an act of self-defense" by the second guard,"

Collector

July 29th, 2018, 6:54 pm

I was just re-reading "The Shot', a short story in the first book written by my father "Dice Throw"  1978, this story (the best one in that book I think) is only in Norwegian, at least one of the short stories got translated to Russian, but I dont think this one.

it is inspired from his time on Svalbard, in a remote place far from Longyerbyen, and likely from the episode they got attacked by that polar bear. The shot is however aimed at someone/something else than the polar bear. If you have been up there walking in the WILD one will recognize what he is talking about, Something left by humans!

Also: Keep distance to polar bears

bearish

July 29th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Very sad day today with the accidental jet ski death of Vibeke Skofterud, recently retired olympic and world champion cross country skier. She moved boundaries.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibeke_Skofterud

Collector

July 29th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Very sad day today with the accidental jet ski death of Vibeke Skofterud, recently retired olympic and world champion cross country skier. She moved boundaries.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibeke_Skofterud
RIP, too strong and young!

Cuchulainn

July 29th, 2018, 9:00 pm

RIP

jetskis are dangerous..

Collector

July 30th, 2018, 6:51 am

the polar bear incident  CNN: Cruise line faces backlash over shooting of polar bear

""'Let's get too close to a polar bear in its natural environment and then kill it if it gets too close,' Morons," British actor-comedian Ricky Gervais tweeted."

katastrofa

July 30th, 2018, 7:02 am

Brainless tourists. They have no respect - go everywhere to take a photo and impress their Facebook friends. It doesn't matter to them how much harm they may inflict by their selfishness.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On