SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: norway

August 25th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Pity they don't have bank holidays here. Oslo is a fantastic destination for a solo traveller (safe for a woman). People are friendly and helpful (sweep the stereotypes to the dustbin!), lots of museums, galleries, parks, fjords!!! and the opera - spectacular architecture (Sydney can hide) and world-class performance. I loved it.

Now time for Copenhagen!

bearish

August 25th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Norwegian holidays tend to cluster in Spring: Easter (like 10 days), May day, ascension (right!), constitution day (May 17th), and pentecost (a day or two, a vanishing minority has any idea what this is all about). So, not much left for the rest of the year. What stereotypes have you been listening to? And "fjord" is one of those Norwegian words (like ski and slalom) that have made it into the English language. Evidently the creation of one Slartibartfast...

katastrofa

August 25th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Cold, reserved, bordering with rude, obsessed about respecting each other's personal space... I'm actually going for a beer with guys who sat next to me in the opera (I'd prefer with that handsome Ukrainian baritone, though) ;-)

katastrofa

August 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Norwegian swan
Attachments
6C1AF242-7BCA-47B8-A41B-B232B1C8D1EF.jpeg

trackstar

August 30th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Norwegian swan
Norwegian swans should be careful.

There might be hungry predators nearby.: D

katastrofa

August 30th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Seriously, come here if you thrive some solo trips. Friendly a safe city. I was gently poked and asked out a couple of times, but no problems sorting this out. They respect your personal space, but aren't hostile at the same time. Time to swan sway? (just had half a pint!) back home...

trackstar

August 30th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Seriously, come here if you thrive some solo trips. Friendly a safe city. I was gently poked and asked out a couple of times, but no problems sorting this out. They respect your personal space, but aren't hostile at the same time. Time to swan sway? (just had half a pint!) back home...
Thanks for kind advice and very good to know you have had a safe and fun adventure there. : )

I always think about my younger sister when I travel and where she would enjoy the landscapes and cities, but have a degree of safety too.
Last edited by trackstar on September 3rd, 2019, 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bearish

August 30th, 2019, 8:40 pm

The "swan" is an artistic creation associated with a local art school by the name of Strykejernet (the flat iron) and it is known by more or less polite versions of "the penis swan". On that note, I shall refrain from making any further comments. 

katastrofa

August 30th, 2019, 9:53 pm

That's where I took the photo! (I'm very curious about the Norwegian forms of artistic expression :-D)
Attachments
7D05DC37-A2DF-4483-86D7-5D160BB53D1C.jpeg

Cuchulainn

August 31st, 2019, 1:09 pm

What does a pint of Ringnes cost these days?
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

katastrofa

August 31st, 2019, 1:15 pm

I don't know, but half a pint of my craft from the onsite microbrewery was £6.5.

katastrofa

September 17th, 2019, 9:00 pm

What does Aromachampinjong mean in Norsk? It sounds like champignions, but I'm careful with the language of mischievous Vikings.

trackstar

September 17th, 2019, 9:08 pm

What does Aromachampinjong mean in Norsk? It sounds like champignions, but I'm careful with the language of mischievous Vikings.
others would know better, but "aroma mushroom" to me suggests truffles.

If they are expensive (package, bottle?) - quite likely so.

bearish

September 18th, 2019, 1:31 am

I think trackstar is right about the mushroom part, but not the truffles. Champinjong is a pidgin spelling form, somewhere between champignon (French) and sjampinjong (kind of Norwegian), meaning plain white button mushroom. The preceding "aroma" does indeed mean aroma. The composite term seems to mostly appear in some Instagram vegetarian recipe that has been reposted all over the place, that involves cooking the mushrooms with paprika, garlic, zucchini (courgettes) and some kind of (vegan or not) cheese.   

Cuchulainn

September 18th, 2019, 2:05 pm

In NL, the elite call it  champignon (more expensive) ; for the rest of us it is called paddestoel
You can sell anything in a restaurant here provided you give it a French name. No kidding.

Few years ago we have a simple pasta for two in Selfoss and it cost Euro 75. Norge is close.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On