SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Powerpuff

norway

January 22nd, 2012, 7:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardMusic prize show ended in scandalLol, you shouldn't post things like this - it is embarrassing!!!Since you work in the agricultural sector, why don't you solve our butter "crisis" instead

ppauper
Topic Author

norway

January 23rd, 2012, 8:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIt's the sunshineNo it's not!Hurricane hammered the holidayswas this actually a hurricane ? I was brought up to believe that hurricanes had to originate in the tropics, and this sounds like an extra-tropical storm with hurricane-force winds, rather than an actual hurricane

tagoma

norway

January 23rd, 2012, 8:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PowerpuffQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardMusic prize show ended in scandalLol, you shouldn't post things like this - it is embarrassing!!!Since you work in the agricultural sector, why don't you solve our butter "crisis" instead unfortunately, i don't know any first-best solution to this problem.besides, i encourage you to regularly check the stockpile of butter in your fridge, and better hedge your needs.

bearish

norway

January 24th, 2012, 2:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIt's the sunshineNo it's not!Hurricane hammered the holidayswas this actually a hurricane ? I was brought up to believe that hurricanes had to originate in the tropics, and this sounds like an extra-tropical storm with hurricane-force winds, rather than an actual hurricaneIf our friends at Wikipedia are to be believed, it was a "European windstorm". European_windstorm

ppauper
Topic Author

norway

February 6th, 2012, 6:38 pm

mass killer demands medal

ppauper
Topic Author

norway

February 6th, 2012, 6:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: bearishQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIt's the sunshineNo it's not!Hurricane hammered the holidayswas this actually a hurricane ? I was brought up to believe that hurricanes had to originate in the tropics, and this sounds like an extra-tropical storm with hurricane-force winds, rather than an actual hurricaneIf our friends at Wikipedia are to be believed, it was a "European windstorm". European_windstormand I notice thatQuoteSeveral European languages use the word Ouragan or cognates thereof (Huragan, Orcan, Orkan) to indicate particularly strong European windstorms. This is not in reference to the tropical cyclone of the same name but to the Hurricane strength of the wind in the Beaufort scale (winds ≥ 118 km/h or ≥ 73 mph).

ppauper
Topic Author

norway

February 6th, 2012, 6:41 pm

still on the windstorms, I noticed the bizarreQuote. In November 2002 the "Adopt-a-Vortex" scheme was started, which allows members of the public to buy names that will then be assigned to storms during each year. The money raised by this is used by the meteorology department to maintain weather observations at the Free University.can you imagine having say Hurricane Katrina named after you (Hurricane Cuchulainn for example) and it killing a whole bunch of people ?

tagoma

norway

March 12th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Encounters of another kind: meteorite chunk fall on Oslo

Cuchulainn

norway

March 12th, 2012, 6:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardEncounters of another kind: meteorite chunk fall on OsloThat becomes government property?

ppauper
Topic Author

norway

March 12th, 2012, 7:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardEncounters of another kind: meteorite chunk fall on OsloThat becomes government property?the story seems to say the family will make money from the chunk

tagoma

norway

March 12th, 2012, 7:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardEncounters of another kind: meteorite chunk fall on OsloThat becomes government property?the story seems to say the family will make money from the chunki remember a chunk of meteorite fell "around" the little town i live a couple of years ago (press article - 2008)many people then rushed in the countryland, and in the fields searching for this chunk.it seems there is a market for meteorites, scientific research laboratories and private collectors willing to pay ridiculous amounts to have a chunk.

tagoma

norway

April 26th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Thousands defy Norway mass killer Breivik in song

quantmeh

norway

April 26th, 2012, 5:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardThousands defy Norway mass killer Breivik in songthat's not how you defy. you chop the balls, that's how you defy

ppauper
Topic Author

norway

April 26th, 2012, 5:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardThousands defy Norway mass killer Breivik in songthat's not how you defy. you chop the balls, that's how you defythey wouldn't be holding hands and singing kum ba yah if he still had his guns
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On