Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: norway

January 17th, 2021, 3:59 pm

I'm wondering if they make fjellpulk for pets. I saw dogs pulling, lots of people skiing with dogs dressed in funny warmers and shoes running beside them. I thought I could take Leela for a ride.
I knew that Norwegians loved skiing (so do I!), but I didn't realise they were so obsessed with it. I often see children around 3 years old skiing like pros. I think they start teaching them when they are around 2. Younger they pull behind in fjellpulker. Yesterday I saw a child of a size of a newborn. Good that they managed to cut the umbilical cord before the crazy father snatched it. If it's safe for them, it should be safe for a small cat.

I can confirm that, at least in the old days, the age of two would be about the time you are taught how to XC ski. There is some family lore about my once going face first into a deep snow pile such that only a pair of frantically kicking skis could be seen. Your concept of a kattepulk is not well developed. An extensive search only produces a single relevant hit, and it includes the words “hjemmelaget spesialdesignet”, i.e. home made and specially designed. For a picture (sadly not a close up):

https://dinebilder.tv2.no/verfoto/bilde/357628

trackstar

January 18th, 2021, 6:53 pm

I have been thinking about this cat carrier idea and how it could be made safe and cozy, at least for an experiment.

My first thought was that a cat would probably not enjoy this, unlike dogs, which are eager to ride in cars and will try lots of things with you.

However, I had a cat that loved to go for boat excursions.  If you were going out in the rowboat and did not take her along, she would follow on the shoreline miaowing.  Then, if you pulled into shore to pick her up, she would hop right in; I guess she liked looking at the lake from a different point of view. I had a small dog-sized life vest for her too, just to keep it safe, though she did not care for that so much. Passive resistance in the form of keeling over and not moving. Kind of funny, but made it impractical. So we took our chances and she never did fall overboard, even though she walked on the gunnels.

So, with the carrier in mind, maybe line it with some eco-friendly padding and provide a small fleece blanket for warmth. 

For a few trials runs - start local where there are no dogs, kids, or other commotion (or danger of collisions), use a longish line so if you take a tumble she will not be directly behind you. Also remember - anything you are pulling behind you on a rope will go a bit wide on the turns - the faster you are going, the wider the arc could be, as you know - so be careful with the width of the trail. Maybe have a friend follow along if possible to see if she is having fun, alert, or if she is terrified and to help out if there are turns like that.

Hard to say - could go other way, or total indifference.  Smokey is pretty good on car rides, but does not like being around other animals when she is in the carrier.  Understandable.  Enjoy the skiing this week - we are down to bare ground here on the trails and no snow on its way until next week.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

katastrofa

January 19th, 2021, 7:19 pm

I don't think it's safe for Leela on my favourite trail. Another one tried quantum tunnelling on me today. I wasn't excited.

trackstar

January 20th, 2021, 12:23 am

I don't think it's safe for Leela on my favourite trail. Another one tried quantum tunnelling on me today. I wasn't excited.
Have this silk screened and wear it on the back of your ski jacket.  That will make those Norwegian ruffians think twice before crashing into you (or through you, as the case might be!)

The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

bearish

January 20th, 2021, 1:53 am

My middle school knowledge of physics prevents me from fully appreciating the depth of this insight, but some first hand knowledge of Kat’s experience would suggest that the problem most likely comes from the front rather than the back.

trackstar

January 20th, 2021, 2:36 am

So, it should be like a racing tunic then - with the diagram on both front and back!

Anyone that crashed into me would quickly discover that I am made of rebar, physically and mentally. : )

Aside from that though, I'd say the best policy on QT from either direction is that of the American military: "Don't ask, don't tell!" 

You might say it is QT (quantum tunneling) on the QT (quiet), or QT^2.

katastrofa

January 20th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Actually, both cases were from behind. The last was a lady, whom I took over on quite a steep hill. It turned out that her M was larger enough than my m, so that no matter how much I ducked down to reduce the air resistance, she started taking over shouting something in Norsk from behind - probably telling me to teleport off her way. As I wrote, I was already pretty much collapsed, so we finished as M+m - without a fall! The trail was turning in that place, so was she coming from the front, there might be some sub-atomic parts left of us. I was lucky, she had at worst given me Covid.

bearish

January 21st, 2021, 12:24 am

Actually, both cases were from behind. The last was a lady, whom I took over on quite a steep hill. It turned out that her M was larger enough than my m, so that no matter how much I ducked down to reduce the air resistance, she started taking over shouting something in Norsk from behind - probably telling me to teleport off her way. As I wrote, I was already pretty much collapsed, so we finished as M+m - without a fall! The trail was turning in that place, so was she coming from the front, there might be some sub-atomic parts left of us. I was lucky, she had at worst given me Covid.

Ah, I may have forgotten to mention the phrase ‘Løype!’ It literally means ‘Ski track!’, but the idiomatic usage is a firm suggestion to get out of the way because somebody (the shouter) coming from behind is going faster than you, and thus has the right of way. Unlike when you yell ‘Fore!’ in golf, there is no hint of an apology offered in the process.

Cuchulainn

January 21st, 2021, 9:51 am

In Germany they the term  ‘Løype' as well.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

katastrofa

January 26th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Most of them are shouting "Ha det bra!" :-) BTW, my frustration over skating is over - my gear is completely not fit for it. Which means I need to get a proper one!

Last night it was -19 here (or -2, if you take it with a pinch of salt). Bracing for less!

katastrofa

March 4th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Snøforhold in my village after over two weeks of *ikke noe* snøbyger :-D I've tried out all types of snø over that time: snøslat, hålke, gadd, avrange, slatter or practically water (wetted through my shoes) or practically ice - night and da, day and night (I love skiing in the forest in full moon the most!). And a selfie as a proof of my lasting self love.

https://youtu.be/D8zHylVk7S0
Attachments
90306623-9945-432E-8523-02AC75C365A8.jpeg

Cuchulainn

March 5th, 2021, 12:18 am

Full moon; around 2 in the afternoon it gets dark!
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

bearish

March 5th, 2021, 3:19 am

Umm - you’re thinking December. This is March, they are about to overtake us.

Separately, lovely picture! And while we’re on the topic of Norway and XC skiing, I’d be remiss not to point out that the Norwegian women won the relay race at the world championship in Oberstdorf, Germany, today. I have meaningful personal connections to two of the four women, although I have never actually met them. Kind of like, well, never mind... The men’s race is tomorrow. Unlike today, when Sweden was the favorite, it would be shocking if Norway doesn’t win tomorrow.

bearish

March 5th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Oh - just for the record, Norway did win the men’s relay race today, but in the immortal words of the Duke of Wellington (about the battle of Waterloo), it was a “damn close-run thing”.

katastrofa

March 6th, 2021, 11:50 pm

I was trying to ski downhill on skare today. One ski pierced it, I fell and broke one binding off my ski (I found the ski hanging on a tree!). I fixed it in two minutes without using any tool and continued my 16 km trip. Modern ski gear is ingenious!
I wonder why there's so little progress in scuba diving equipment. Everything is so heavy and constraining that I sometimes feel as if I'm actually taking the last breath when I emerge. I'm crawling on all four on the land like Ichthyostega, releasing myself from the vest and cylinders as soon as it's safe to leave them behind, and only after I recover a bit (and empty my shy bladder where fish and other guys don't see me), I pull everything out of water. Huge space for improvement there.