SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tagoma
Topic Author

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 7:00 pm

imagine you find out a nice paper on the internet dating back from (supposedly) 2002.this paper describe a theoretical framework and gives an application example.it's about stochastic modeling and option pricing.then, imagine, you find out a very very close paper (published in 2005).the theoretical framework, hypothesis, restrictions are strictly similar to those of the other paper.the structure of the text is the same, inside each paragraph the sentences with the same meaning have been reformulated.sole the example given related to another country, and the biography is different.is there anything 'fair' to do ?is that just a collateral damage of the internet, that one has to live with ?

rmax

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Was it published in a journal?Was it your paper?

Traden4Alpha

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 7:06 pm

That sounds like plagiarism. And if the plagiarist uses the copied paper in their credentials to get a job or contract, then it's fraud.

tagoma
Topic Author

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 7:29 pm

All with me ! Let's go to the Place de la Bastillemore seriously, here are both papers, so that you can judge yourself their "closeness"On Modelling and Pricing Weather Derivatives (2002 I think)Temperature stochastic modeling and weather derivatives pricing: empirical study with Moroccan data (2005)have a look at both introductions, sentence after sentence !pretty similar, right ?

trackstar

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 7:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouard...On Modelling and Pricing Weather Derivatives (2002 I think)Temperature stochastic modeling and weather derivatives pricing: empirical study with Moroccan data (2005)have a look at both introductions, sentence after sentence !pretty similar, right ?You need to fix the link to the second paper - it has http:// and the title, not the URL.
Last edited by trackstar on August 23rd, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma
Topic Author

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 7:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: edouard...On Modelling and Pricing Weather Derivatives (2002 I think)Temperature stochastic modeling and weather derivatives pricing: empirical study with Moroccan data (2005)have a look at both introductions, sentence after sentence !pretty similar, right ?On Modelling and Pricing Weather Derivatives (2002 I think)You need to fix the link to the second paper - it has http:// and the title, not the URL.OH ! i'm very sorry TS. the point is that it's late now in europe and my PA has got back home. thus i had to post the message myself, but i'm not really accustomed with those technologies. On Modelling and Pricing Weather Derivatives (2002 I think)Temperature stochastic modeling and weather derivatives pricing: empirical study with Moroccan dataanyway, i thought universities/schools have special software to compare newly submitted documents to the state of the art !?

tagoma
Topic Author

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 8:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunSeasonal temperature curves typically have more harmonics, and distribution at specific dates tend to have significant skew, ..those papers ignore those effects.Check out this annual temperature model for Amsterdam, ..see the subtleties?right from your sitmo probability engine ?? nice !do you have a reading list on the distributions of temps, rains and other weather parameters ?

tagoma
Topic Author

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 9:22 pm

i was searching historical weather data yesterday.weatherunderground was on the list of the websites i had visited then,but i didn't find this possibility to download data in .csv format.i checked out for one weather station in France (randomly selected).they give about 2-year series. cool ! ... but not that muchfortunately, i found out another trusted and huge resource on the internet.i send you an email

Marsden

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 10:08 pm

It might not be fair to call it plagiarism.Suppose you're making an argument in a particular field of study. You need to lay out some background and some definitions just to enter into the discussion. Why wouldn't you use background and definitions as laid out previously by someone else, both because that's what you're familiar with and because your readers are likely to be familiar with it? Possibly it's uncomfortable form, but you've written a pretty poor paper if you're worried about people copying your statement of the background of the problem and your definitions of terms; definitions are to be agreed to, not argued over.You might also note the first reference given for the second paper. Maybe there's a professor/student relationship there, and its with full blessings that the background and definitions were copied.I didn't peruse the papers far enough to see for certain whether they were drawing different conclusions/looking at different aspects of the problem, but they seem to be.

ppauper

justice! justice ?

August 24th, 2011, 11:22 pm

In general, if you do come across actual plagiarism, writing to the editor of the journal where the plagiarist published the article might be a first step

DevonFangs

justice! justice ?

August 25th, 2011, 7:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunSeasonal temperature curves typically have more harmonics, and distribution at specific dates tend to have significant skew, ..those papers ignore those effects.Check out this annual temperature model for Amsterdam, ..see the subtleties?Let me reply to this plot with this quote
Last edited by DevonFangs on August 24th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On