SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

next innovation in mobile styling

October 12th, 2011, 1:36 pm

What will be the next innovation in mobile styling? Some past innovations were the clamshell which was smaller than the candy bar, the Motorola Razr which was really skinny, the iPhone which had fluid touch-screen animation, and the iPad which was a tablet computer with less functionality than previous tablet computers, but was available in white.I can only guess stuff will get thinner and lighter.Maybe like a mouse where you hold your finger an inch above a small area? Will most people agree a mouse pointer is still preferable to my fat fingers? So maybe I touch a spot to begin, and then all movements of my finger hovered in an area one cubic inch above that spot will be magnified to move a mouse pointer around? And then I can tap?Maybe a tablet where a screen unfurls perfectly flat and with perfect details from a smaller carrying configuration?Here is my best idea: A card with no user interface at all. You can plug it into any of several available screen and keypad configurations, depending on what you want to use it for. Like a mini kit, a big-screen kit, a hard-key kit, a telephone talking kit, a document-scanning kit, a long-distance radio kit, or whatever.
Last edited by farmer on October 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hansi

October 12th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Well the mouse pointer option would need to include a hardware button to press wouldn't it? I can't see it as being efficient to be honest. Maybe those people who have issues with finger use might rather prefer a stylus? Maybe an automatic magnifying glass loupe on screen for detail location.Maybe a personal Minority Report like screen from a on person device is the next step within the next 15 years or so? In the meantime thinner and lighter is a short term guarantee. There is also the question of what is going into the phone next? What mobile tech is missing? It's already replaced a lot of my computer use, camera, etc.

Traden4Alpha

October 12th, 2011, 1:57 pm

How about:1. A touch screen that wraps around the wrist.2. A finger tip speaker that goes on the end of your thumb and a fingertip microphone that goes on the end of your pinkie so you can call just with this hand gesture:

farmer
Topic Author

October 12th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Maybe one you dock in your car steering wheel. Then you steer the car by just swaying your head around and nodding.

Polter

October 12th, 2011, 2:28 pm

...different sizes and colors would be nice! :-)
Last edited by Polter on October 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

October 12th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Global IMEI database tied to iris and fingerprint scan makes it impossible to use any phone for 7 years, unless you pay AT&T $800 for that SMS overage.

tagoma

October 12th, 2011, 8:03 pm

the sole cell phone i have ever had is the LG KP 105 model.[it might be right French people are evolution-adverse]it's light, easy to use, chock-resistant, and i don't mind losing it as it's worthless.one main advantage may be that it doesn't allow to check professional emails ...
Last edited by tagoma on October 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint

October 12th, 2011, 8:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerWhat will be the next innovation in mobile styling? Some past innovations were the clamshell which was smaller than the candy bar, the Motorola Razr which was really skinny, the iPhone which had fluid touch-screen animation, and the iPad which was a tablet computer with less functionality than previous tablet computers, but was available in white...I can only guess stuff will get thinner and lighter....Maybe a tablet where a screen unfurls perfectly flat and with perfect details from a smaller carrying configuration?i think there will always be highly abstract systems that will be used by professionals, e.g. Bloomberg or some command prompt. however the obvious goal for mass-appeal technology is to become less technologic and more natural.so the first step towards this was to discard command prompts with visual interfaces where you move a mouse pointer to interact with stuff put on a "desktop" in "folders". That was basically mid 80s. The next step were touch screens that did not suck. touch screens basically remove one level of abstraction: you don't move a mouse to move a pointer, but your hand is the pointer. touch screens have existed for a long time, but they sucked and in order to work they need to behave like the real world: if touching something with your hand had a latency of 1 sec in the real world you probably use a dip net instead.in many ways directly touching stuff is good, but a lot of tasks are verbal so the next step is voice recognition. e.g. there is no good reason why finding out today's weather prediction would have to be a manual task. why would you need to "touch" anything to find that out? certainly you don't do in the real world, instead you ask your coworker or friend or whoever. again, we have had voice recognition for a long time but it sucked. Saying "weather. new york. today." is as natural as having a touch screen with latency. it completely ruins everything. if there was a way to say "device, do i need like a rain coat later?" voice recognition becomes useful.so my prediction is that device will stay about the same size: hell calculators are basically the same size since 15 yrs even though you could build them smaller or see-through or whatever. also hammers and screwdrivers and pencils don't get smaller.

rmax

October 13th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Natural interfaces are good - however they are not necessarily efficient. Should a car be controlled by walking/leaning? Or perhaps using reins?Hammers are the size they are because of the laws of physics: and I quote: "You canne change the laws of Physics"Voice recognition would be a nightmare for some applications e.g. search in a reference library.

Traden4Alpha

October 13th, 2011, 12:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxHammers are the size they are because of the laws of physics: and I quote: "You canne change the laws of Physics"Technically, it's not the laws of physics that determine hammer size, but the biomechanics. If it was just physics, then child's toy hammer would be the same size as an adult's.Mobile devices have several contradictory forces on them regarding size: 1) physical hand sizes set length and width optima (with three solutions depending on one-handed, two-thumbs, or touch-typing interactions) 2) visual size should be as large as possible; 3) physical mass should be a light as possible; 4) physical thickness is lower-bounded by materials. Other design requirements such as faster processors, latest-generation wireless, long battery life, and replaceable batteries push the device toward larger size.Although one cannot "change" the laws of physics, one can render them irrelevant through clever design that eliminates key constraints, reconfigures optima, or somehow makes some physical limitation go away. For example eye-mounted displays eliminate the screen size problem and virtual touch interfaces eliminate the hand-ergonomic size and shape constraints.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on October 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polter

October 13th, 2011, 1:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMinti think there will always be highly abstract systems that will be used by professionals, e.g. Bloomberg or some command prompt. however the obvious goal for mass-appeal technology is to become less technologic and more natural.so the first step towards this was to discard command prompts with visual interfaces where you move a mouse pointer to interact with stuff put on a "desktop" in "folders". That was basically mid 80s. The next step were touch screens that did not suck. touch screens basically remove one level of abstraction: you don't move a mouse to move a pointer, but your hand is the pointer. touch screens have existed for a long time, but they sucked and in order to work they need to behave like the real world: if touching something with your hand had a latency of 1 sec in the real world you probably use a dip net instead.I think I'd love a cellphone that gives me an access to a rich command-line environment (bash, coreutils, binutils, heck, make it all of these and add GCC) with a nice PC-layout keyboard so I wouldn't have to (re)adjust all the time. However, a completely open environment (with no jailbreaking/rooting or any equivalent ever needed by any user for anything at all) would be even better (could imply realization of the prior req.) and would be a real innovation, much important than styling to me -- in many ways, the "evolution" in mobile space is a step back to where we were before in technology.
Last edited by Polter on October 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

October 13th, 2011, 1:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMinttouch screens basically remove one level of abstraction: you don't move a mouse to move a pointer, but your hand is the pointer. touch screens have existed for a long time, but they sucked and in order to work they need to behave like the real worldFrom finger painting, to stealing icing off birthday cakes, to poking people in the eye during fights, a human being's natural interface to the real world is his fat fingertip.

CrashedMint

October 13th, 2011, 1:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNatural interfaces are good - however they are not necessarily efficient. Should a car be controlled by walking/leaning? Or perhaps using reins?Hammers are the size they are because of the laws of physics: and I quote: "You canne change the laws of Physics"Voice recognition would be a nightmare for some applications e.g. search in a reference library.Your car example is a good one. But don't see how voice recognition would be a nightmare for a reference library, in fact i would find it pretty awesome if I could ask something à la "Hey computer, what's the terminal command for merging files?" "This is Sdiff." ... "Ok, this is too slow. How can I speed things up?" "You can use the -H option if you are working with large files."Likewise I would find it pretty neat if I could say: "Risk has a new article on spread options. Please print that and a list of related articles by the same author."

farmer
Topic Author

October 13th, 2011, 2:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintBut don't see how voice recognition would be a nightmare for a reference library, in fact i would find it pretty awesome if I could ask something à la "Hey computer, what's the terminal command for merging files?" "This is Sdiff." ... "Ok, this is too slow. How can I speed things up?" "You can use the -H option if you are working with large files."Likewise I would find it pretty neat if I could say: "Risk has a new article on spread options. Please print that and a list of related articles by the same author."Why are you so keen to print those statements or text them to someone?

rmax

October 13th, 2011, 3:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNatural interfaces are good - however they are not necessarily efficient. Should a car be controlled by walking/leaning? Or perhaps using reins?Hammers are the size they are because of the laws of physics: and I quote: "You canne change the laws of Physics"Voice recognition would be a nightmare for some applications e.g. search in a reference library.Your car example is a good one. But don't see how voice recognition would be a nightmare for a reference library, in fact i would find it pretty awesome if I could ask something à la "Hey computer, what's the terminal command for merging files?" "This is Sdiff." ... "Ok, this is too slow. How can I speed things up?" "You can use the -H option if you are working with large files."Likewise I would find it pretty neat if I could say: "Risk has a new article on spread options. Please print that and a list of related articles by the same author."I was meaning more along the lines of a person is studying and keeps getting distracted by someone else yelling.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On