SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CrashedMint

next innovation in mobile styling

June 19th, 2012, 9:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintecon 102 says that android users don't buy apps. which kinda sucks for an app developer.According to your measure, neither do Windows users. But I don't see Windows programmers driving cabs. In fact, I imagine it sucks to be an "app developer" period. Lol, what is their station in the pantheon of programmers? Is their position kind of like the position in the fashion world of people who make t-shirts that say "made you look" and sell for $8?let's cut the crap for a minute... i know you don't like apple, and i do like apple. but let's try, try, to still get into an intelligent discussion. Apple has 400 million credit cards on file. These are people that bought some device, entered their credit card numbers and can now purchase shit with the click of a button. And since the app store opened those people spent 7.25 billion us$ on software of which 5 billion us$ was paid out to app developers. Asymco has a lot of details on this as have, obviously, the various calls, for example Cook's latest one. Bottom line: there is a lot of money to be made for app developers.so what's the difference between an app developer and a windows developer? selling directly. When you do an awesome windows software on your own good luck selling that online. however, when you're an ios developer chances are high that a one man operation can actually code and sell a product.

farmer
Topic Author

June 19th, 2012, 9:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintApple has 400 million credit cards on file.Lol, whatever.QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint5 billion us$ was paid out to app developers.Probably waitresses also made $5 billion in tips. And some waitresses married a billionaire. That doesn't mean that people who develop for Android wish they were Apple developers, but just aren't cool enough to get into the club.QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintWhen you do an awesome windows software on your own good luck selling that online. however, when you're an ios developer chances are high that a one man operation can actually code and sell a product."Apps" are not actually like Windows applications processing data and performing tasks, they are more like web sites delivering content. And plenty of one-man operations have made money selling scuba banner ads. My friend has a site where he just puts up random pictures that he likes of sunsets or funny cars, and he makes like $100 a month through Google adsense.

Polter

June 19th, 2012, 10:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintecon 102 says that android users don't buy apps. which kinda sucks for an app developer.According to your measure, neither do Windows users. But I don't see Windows programmers driving cabs. In fact, I imagine it sucks to be an "app developer" period. Lol, what is their station in the pantheon of programmers? Is their position kind of like the position in the fashion world of people who make t-shirts that say "made you look" and sell for $8?let's cut the crap for a minute... i know you don't like apple, and i do like apple. but let's try, try, to still get into an intelligent discussion. Apple has 400 million credit cards on file. These are people that bought some device, entered their credit card numbers and can now purchase shit with the click of a button. And since the app store opened those people spent 7.25 billion us$ on software of which 5 billion us$ was paid out to app developers. Asymco has a lot of details on this as have, obviously, the various calls, for example Cook's latest one. Bottom line: there is a lot of money to be made for app developers.so what's the difference between an app developer and a windows developer? selling directly. When you do an awesome windows software on your own good luck selling that online. however, when you're an ios developer chances are high that a one man operation can actually code and sell a product.Of course it's a mixed blessing -- relying on an outside (as opposed to in-house) digital distribution service (like the Apple App Store) has both advantages and disadvantages compared to, say, in-house digital distribution (like Origin, formerly EA Store) -- or most anything from the plethora of choices available to you outside of Apple's bubble.For instance, while 70-30 revenue sharing might be reasonable for an indie developer targeting only one platform, large software houses targeting multi-platform markets (e.g., AAA video games) with own, in-house developed (and controlled) digital distribution channels might be better off otherwise.What is nice about the PC platform is that as a developer you have a choice, e.g., Steam.What is not so nice about app stores like the Apple one is that you don't have either choice or control -- you can't choose over distribution channels as the customers w/o jailbroken devices won't get your app, the app store approval process involves restrictions that can put you out of the market, incl. but not limited to prohibiting the choice of an open-source license.Personally, I'm not too enthused over the closed distribution model. Reminds me too much of the 1970s mainframe business with various, closed proprietary platforms. I suppose only time will tell whether the mobile market chooses to go further into the past or evolves into something closer to the open PC model.
Last edited by Polter on June 19th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

June 20th, 2012, 9:25 am

If I ever do sell the binary I am working on, it will be an application, not an app, and it will be $1500 on my own web site. I don't think it could be developed, and certainly not deployed, on Apple. My point is I am putting my real application, from a real operating system - Linux - on Android. This gives Android a chance at something Apple does not have the same chance at, a chance to replace Windows.

GiusCo

June 20th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Can't say what's happening to devices but I'm ready to sell my small / indie internet venture for $$$ as soon as some big fish come out of the pool.

Polter

January 4th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Canonical announces Ubuntu for smartphones, we go hands-on (video)

tagoma

January 4th, 2013, 4:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PolterCanonical announces Ubuntu for smartphones, we go hands-on (video)I'm a pc, but I think that's really cool! I mean it.If my cristal ball tells right, Samsung+Ubuntu will make the APPL stock retrace to $450 by the end of 2013.

trackstar

January 23rd, 2013, 11:37 pm

just saw a Greatest Hits of Will Farrell over the weekend and in one funny skit, he was playing a flaming gay fashion designer with the world's tiniest flip phone.It was about the size of a thumb nail.Hilarious.

trackstar

March 10th, 2015, 8:19 pm

iPhone 6 - lovin' it!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On