Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar
Topic Author

Normative Behavior on Wilmott and in the Great Wide World

January 11th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Examples, counterexamples.What purpose it serves and what its shortcomings are.As a microcosm, this community of interest is a great place to study such things.

Traden4Alpha

January 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Shouldn't we be discussing abnormative behaviour?

Traden4Alpha

January 11th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Here you go:QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunTough one:can you provide some examples on normative behavior here, so that I can analyze it?Asking for examples in order to study something is a common normative behaviour on Wilmott.

tags

January 11th, 2012, 7:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaHere you go:QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunTough one:can you provide some examples on normative behavior here, so that I can analyze it?Asking for examples in order to study something is a common normative behaviour on Wilmott. Briefly commenting a quote is another one

Traden4Alpha

January 11th, 2012, 7:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaHere you go:QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunTough one:can you provide some examples on normative behavior here, so that I can analyze it?Asking for examples in order to study something is a common normative behaviour on Wilmott. Briefly commenting a quote is another one Self-referential humour is a third.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on January 10th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

January 11th, 2012, 7:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarExamples, counterexamples.What purpose it serves and what its shortcomings are.As a microcosm, this community of interest is a great place to study such things.Don't suppose you could give a definition? And an example

trackstar
Topic Author

January 11th, 2012, 7:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarExamples, counterexamples.What purpose it serves and what its shortcomings are.As a microcosm, this community of interest is a great place to study such things.Don't suppose you could give a definition? And an example Yes, I will a bit later. People may be a little offended when their behavior is characterized this way.You know how they like to think:"We're all individuals." But the pressure towards perceived norms is very strong in structured social environments.Rewards and punishments are doled out accordingly...

frenchX

January 11th, 2012, 8:03 pm

I'm a frenchman. End of the categorization

Traden4Alpha

January 11th, 2012, 8:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar"We're all individuals." "Not me!" QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarBut the pressure towards perceived norms is very strong in structured social environments.Rewards and punishments are doled out accordingly...Indeed! And now we are circling back to cultural phenomena and dueling belief systems such as religion vs. science.

daveangel

January 11th, 2012, 9:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXI'm a frenchman. End of the categorization There are a couple of other categories I would put you in... I think that would be classified as normative behaviour for me.
Last edited by daveangel on January 10th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

frenchX

January 11th, 2012, 9:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXI'm a frenchman. End of the categorization There are a couple of other categories I would put you in... I think that would be classified as normative behaviour for me.Sure, one of this category is "Not your fan".

trackstar
Topic Author

January 11th, 2012, 9:40 pm

You may speculate, but it would be more educational to solicit categories *from* him rather than impose them *on* him. One of my (ab)normative behaviors is based on a strong respect for open-ended questioning...
Last edited by trackstar on January 10th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

January 11th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Another normative behaviour: abuse (but very little disabuse! )

trackstar
Topic Author

January 11th, 2012, 10:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaAnother normative behaviour: abuse (but very little disabuse! )Ah, but there are many shades of abuse and you have to know the participants and/or at least understand the context to see what type it is!
Last edited by trackstar on January 10th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.