SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer

Mitt Romney will be the G

September 18th, 2012, 11:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999That all being said, it's wrong to ganag up on farmer (whether he's right or wrong) - who's gonna take his corner?Zombie movies wouldn't be fun if they didn't resemble some real-world events.

EscapeArtist999

September 18th, 2012, 11:20 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999That all being said, it's wrong to ganag up on farmer (whether he's right or wrong) - who's gonna take his corner?Zombie movies wouldn't be fun if they didn't resemble some real-world events.Yeah, but there's rarely just one guy. You need the other "characters" to be picked off during the movie to convince us there's a credible threat to the protag, plus to show his human side - i.e. weaping over zombified infants, etc.

CrashedMint

September 18th, 2012, 11:25 am

Unemployment: 8%On food stamps: 15% (47million)Median networth: -40% in last 5 yrsClinically depressed: 10%Country's direction wrong: 59%By any metric, except "You guys, without Obama it would be even worse!" Romney should win. But he isn't.

Anomanderis

September 18th, 2012, 11:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999That all being said, it's wrong to ganag up on farmer (whether he's right or wrong) - who's gonna take his corner?Zombie movies wouldn't be fun if they didn't resemble some real-world events.True. In Zombie movies, there tend to be many zombies.Now there's just one. Besides, we like Zombies, we wouldn't gang up against one.
Last edited by Anomanderis on September 17th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

September 18th, 2012, 11:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintBy any metric, except "You guys, without Obama it would be even worse!" Romney should win. But he isn't.The polls are a lot closer than most elections. Just based on the polls, anyone can win. I have pretty high confidence in Romney turnout, and in undecideds swinging against the incumbent. But on the other side, I think in the last election Obama supporters didn't poll well. I think Obama won by more than polls showed. If it is true again, if the pollsters didn't learn and adjust, and if it wasn't just a turnout thing, that would be good for Obama.Thomas Sowell keeps pointing out that FDR got reelected multiple times while he ruined the economy, and used stimulus to buy votes in battleground states. I don't think either FDR or Obama had enough welfare types to win an election on their passion for welfare alone. But Sowell is an 80-year-old scholar, and I am not. I do think a lot of people in the US hope to do better than the crumbs of government largesse, and also are not as naive to think government can keep it up as people in the 1930's may have been.

CrashedMint

September 18th, 2012, 11:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintBy any metric, except "You guys, without Obama it would be even worse!" Romney should win. But he isn't.The polls are a lot closer than most elections. Just based on the polls, anyone can win. I have pretty high confidence in Romney turnout, and in undecideds swinging against the incumbent. But on the other side, I think in the last election Obama supporters didn't poll well. I think Obama won by more than polls showed. If it is true again, if the pollsters didn't learn and adjust, and if it wasn't just a turnout thing, that would be good for Obama.Thomas Sowell keeps pointing out that FDR got reelected multiple times while he ruined the economy, and used stimulus to buy votes in battleground states. I don't think either FDR or Obama had enough welfare types to win an election on their passion for welfare alone. But Sowell is an 80-year-old scholar, and I am not. I do think a lot of people in the US hope to do better than the crumbs of government largesse, and also are not as naive to think government can keep it up as people in the 1930's may have been.From both camps supporters are not exactly terribly excited about their candidates and the economy is clearly against Obama. Now imagine if the GOP had a candidate they truly liked: This election would be over. Instead they manage to find the one guy who right-wingers think is a moderate, who the left wing thinks is a company raider and who struggling people think is filthy rich. Smart choice.

farmer

September 18th, 2012, 11:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintthe left wing thinks is a company raider and who struggling people think is filthy rich. Smart choice.He came within an inch of beating Ted Kennedy for the Senate in Massachusetts! Not even Superman would have been given odds to do as well as Romney did. And he won Governor of Massachusetts, the state of Kerry and Tsongas. So as much as left-wing pundits may hate Romney, he has a record of getting Democrat votes.

EscapeArtist999

September 18th, 2012, 12:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintthe left wing thinks is a company raider and who struggling people think is filthy rich. Smart choice.He came within an inch of beating Ted Kennedy for the Senate in Massachusetts! Not even Superman would have been given odds to do as well as Romney did. And he won Governor of Massachusetts, the state of Kerry and Tsongas. So as much as left-wing pundits may hate Romney, he has a record of getting Democrat votes.But Romney is filthy rich.

CrashedMint

September 18th, 2012, 12:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintthe left wing thinks is a company raider and who struggling people think is filthy rich. Smart choice.He came within an inch of beating Ted Kennedy for the Senate in Massachusetts! Not even Superman would have been given odds to do as well as Romney did. And he won Governor of Massachusetts, the state of Kerry and Tsongas. So as much as left-wing pundits may hate Romney, he has a record of getting Democrat votes.That was Romney 1.0: Business-savvy, Romneycare, anti-gun, pro-choice.

Anomanderis

September 18th, 2012, 12:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintthe left wing thinks is a company raider and who struggling people think is filthy rich. Smart choice.He came within an inch of beating Ted Kennedy for the Senate in Massachusetts! Not even Superman would have been given odds to do as well as Romney did. And he won Governor of Massachusetts, the state of Kerry and Tsongas. So as much as left-wing pundits may hate Romney, he has a record of getting Democrat votes.That was 1994, when democrats were extremely unpopular, Kennedy had recently been dragged through the mud in a rape case, Romney was much. much better funded, etc etc. That was a bad year for Ted Kennedy, yet Ted Kennedy still won. 58-41% - not an inch. How this is an attribute is rather.... mysterious to me.
Last edited by Anomanderis on September 17th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

September 18th, 2012, 12:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisTed Kennedy still won. 58-41% - not an inch.You are right, this wasn't an inch. I stopped watching after Romney screwed up the debates and fell behind.QuoteSome early polls showed Romney close to Kennedy. By mid-September 1994, polls showed the race to be even. One Boston Herald/WCVB-TV poll taken after the September 20, 1994 primary showed Romney ahead 44 percent to 42 percent, within the poll's sampling margin of error. In another September poll, Romney had a 43 to 42 percent lead.QuoteKennedy won re-election by a 58 percent to 41 percent margin, the closest re-election race of his career; only his initial victory in the 1962 Senate special election in Massachusetts was closer.

farmer

September 18th, 2012, 1:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisThat was 1994, when democrats were extremely unpopular, Kennedy had recently been dragged through the mud in a rape caseNobody seriously believed that fat idiot really heard Willie Smith raping that girl out on the beach over the sound of his own wheezing. The main thing that came out of it was the Kennedys all get drunk and fuck fat girls together, in a dilapidated old South Florida beach house that, as of 1994, still did not have air conditioning.
Last edited by farmer on September 17th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hayes

September 18th, 2012, 1:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerI stopped watching after Romney screwed up the debates and fell behind.Interesting point, when is (are) the Presidential debate(s)?

ppauper

September 18th, 2012, 4:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999Honestly a great country like the USA deserves a higher quality person than Romney or ObamaBased on the degree of polarisation in US politics, where "Moderate" is considered an insult, and based on the behaviour of the left and right over the last decade, I'd say that they have the candidates they well and truly deserve.how is romney anything but a moderate ?look at his record in massachussetts

ppauper

September 18th, 2012, 4:52 pm

and I actually think that paul tsongas (who almost won the dem nomination when 1992 ?) was more conservative than Romney
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On