Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Are You Ready for Some Tennis?

September 12th, 2015, 8:53 am

All-Italian final.

tags

September 12th, 2015, 8:59 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnAll-Italian final.Hum, ... I see ...

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2015, 9:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnAll-Italian final.Hum, ... I see ...

ppauper

January 18th, 2016, 3:09 pm

match-fixing?

tags

January 31st, 2016, 7:58 pm

Watch that amazing point at 16'35''=

tags

March 7th, 2016, 8:25 pm

Maria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian OpenHow many times have I commented with those long legs she should run the Tour de France?
Last edited by tags on March 6th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

March 7th, 2016, 9:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaMaria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian OpenHow many times have I commented with those long legs she should run the Tour de France?meldoniumIt's been banned since the start of this year, prior to that it was allowedlooks like she claims she was taking it for medical reasons and missed it being added to the banned listI'd be interested to know what the medical reasons were as it seems to be used for chronic heart failure and it's hard to see how someone could have such a condition and be a world class tennis player, even with this wonder drugAlso "caught" using this drug were Tokyo Marathon winner Endeshaw Negesse of EthiopiaAbebe Aregawi, the 2013 women?s 1500m world champion (born in Ethiopia, competes for Sweden)Turkish middle-distance runner Gamze Bulut (1500m silver at 2012 Oympics)The reason for taking it illicitly would beIncreased endurance and aerobic capabilities of athletesIncrease rate of recovery

ppauper

March 8th, 2016, 10:32 am

so does anyone know why maria sharapova was taking meldonium, what was the supposed medical condition?there's a whole bunch of guys been caught using this stuff because they missed the memo (or email) adding it to the banned list, so my guess would be that there's also a boatload of them were using it and stopped in time. Even if there is a legitimate use for this stuff, the chances of that many elite athletes all having it are slim to none.I would consider that cheating, it wasn't a banned substance (it is now) but definitely performance enhancing. But where do you draw the line, it it ok to take a vitamin C tablet every day? or a cup of coffee before your race?And meldonium has been banned now, but you've got to think that there are other performance enhancing drugs out there that are still legalMaybe the solution is to ban everything and have WADA physicians allow case-by-case exemptions for bona fide medical reasons

ppauper

March 8th, 2016, 10:29 pm

NYTQuoteIn October, the U.S.-based Partnership for Clean Competition, an anti-doping group, said meldonium was found in 182 of 8,300 urine samples from athletes as part of a study part-funded by the PCC.that's a lot of athletes with heart problems!from elsewhere, supposedly sharapova claimed she was taking the drug becauseQuote?I want people to know that for 10 years Maria took this substance, which was recommended to her by her doctor after he did an extensive battery of tests to determine what medical conditions were causing her to be sick on a frequent basis.?He found that she had abnormal EKG readings, that she had some diabetes indicators, and when he coupled that with a family medical history of those issues, as well as low magnesium and some immune deficiencies, it was his job as her doctor to prescribe or recommend the medication that would help her be healthy.?

Traden4Alpha

March 9th, 2016, 11:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperNYTQuoteIn October, the U.S.-based Partnership for Clean Competition, an anti-doping group, said meldonium was found in 182 of 8,300 urine samples from athletes as part of a study part-funded by the PCC.that's a lot of athletes with heart problems!from elsewhere, supposedly sharapova claimed she was taking the drug becauseQuote?I want people to know that for 10 years Maria took this substance, which was recommended to her by her doctor after he did an extensive battery of tests to determine what medical conditions were causing her to be sick on a frequent basis.?He found that she had abnormal EKG readings, that she had some diabetes indicators, and when he coupled that with a family medical history of those issues, as well as low magnesium and some immune deficiencies, it was his job as her doctor to prescribe or recommend the medication that would help her be healthy.?There's several benign reasons: 1) It may be caused by heart muscle damage from overtraining; 2) it may be that the same genetic factors that provide superior athletic performance lead to heart problems; 3) extreme athleticism leads to normal changes in the heart (e.g., enlargment and slower resting heart rate) that doctors misinterpret as "abnormal".Without a careful examination of the athletes by an independent cardiologist, it impossible to say which athletes should be using meldonium and which shouldn't. And without a careful examination of the athletes' doctor's records, it's impossible to say which athletes are abusing meldonium and which have been mis-prescribed meldonium.

ppauper

March 9th, 2016, 11:46 am

7% of athletes at the 2015 European Games used meldoniumof those tested, 7% were positivenote that a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) must be obtained by the prescriber for an athlete if it is to be given for legitimate therapeutic use.annual sales of meldonium appear to be only $40M

daveangel

March 15th, 2016, 7:52 am

more tennis players should be investigated for match fixing
Last edited by daveangel on March 14th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

tags

March 15th, 2016, 10:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelmore tennis players should be investigated for match fixingQuoteItalian prosecutor Roberto Di Martino has called for top tennis players to be investigatedOxymoron?

ExSan
Topic Author

March 15th, 2016, 11:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelmore tennis players should be investigated for match fixingQuoteItalian prosecutor Roberto Di Martino has called for top tennis players to be investigatedOxymoron?lately I lost a bit of interest in Tennis, I am playing Squash 2 times a week and really enjoying it !
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°