SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

exneratunrisk

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 8:29 am

I agree a little with farmer.RIP for the person WH, but I think we rather mix this with her "aura", her music. And, IMO, she produced mainstream music.Would we be so sad here, if a mainstream-thinker/writer died?

ppauper

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 8:57 am

bobby brown grieves

ppauper

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 8:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: exneratunriskWould we be so sad here, if a mainstream-thinker/writer died?If it were someone we saw in the media on a regular basis, yes.If it were someone who was cloistered and we never saw, I suspect not

exneratunrisk

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 11:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperit is a shame.She was so sweet when she was young, and then Bobby Brown happenedI agree, it seems to have a sad parallelism: Amy Winehouse - in bondage of her "friend" with excess drug ....?
Last edited by exneratunrisk on February 12th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 1:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: exneratunriskI agree a little with farmer.RIP for the person WH, but I think we rather mix this with her "aura", her music. And, IMO, she produced mainstream music.Would we be so sad here, if a mainstream-thinker/writer died?Indeed! The entirety of the music industry is but 1/1000th the world's GDP and yet it's far more than 1/1000th the news and even the discussions here.Strange!

trackstar

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 1:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperTMZ is reporting that it may have been a drowning, prescription meds were found but no illegal drugs as of yetLORAZEPAM, VALIUM, XANAXThe preliminary conclusions are that it was a combination of the prescription drugs and prior night's heavy drinking.Unfortunate that no one was watching over her more carefully under those conditions.

farmer

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 1:34 pm

When I read about her death, I clicked over to YouTube expecting to be moved. But what I heard sounded more like my Mom practicing opera singing when I was a little kid. The songs were so simple and shallow, they sounded almost like vocal drills as contrasted against actual songs.

trackstar

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 1:39 pm

They were going for gospel power wrapped up in palatable pop.What I like most about her voice is what she could have done with that kind of range and control.It's hard to find material good enough to match the talent. Greatest Love of All - Whitney HoustonI Will Always Love You - Whitney HoustonOne Moment in Time - Whitney HoustonAnd compare:1960s:You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman - Aretha FranklinWritten by Carole King.I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You - Aretha FranklinAbout that album:"While the inclusion of "Respect" -- one of the truly seminal singles in pop history -- is in and of itself sufficient to earn I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You classic status, Aretha Franklin's Atlantic label debut is an indisputable masterpiece from start to finish. Much of the credit is due to producer Jerry Wexler, who finally unleashed the soulful intensity so long kept under wraps during her Columbia tenure; assembling a crack Muscle Shoals backing band along with an abundance of impeccable material, Wexler creates the ideal setting to allow Aretha to ascend to the throne of Queen of Soul, and she responds with the strongest performances of her career. While the brilliant title track remains the album's other best-known song, each cut on I Never Loved a Man is touched by greatness; covers of Ray Charles' "Drown in My Own Tears" and Sam Cooke's "Good Times" and "A Change Is Gonna Come" are on par with the original recordings, while Aretha's own contributions -- "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream," "Baby, Baby, Baby," "Save Me," and "Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business)" -- are perfectly at home in such lofty company. A soul landmark. 1980s:United Together - Aretha Franklin
Last edited by trackstar on February 12th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 1:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIt's hard to find material good enough to match the talent.Jimi Hendrix played licks, but he wrote songs also. This woman had bubble gum for a brain.

trackstar

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 1:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIt's hard to find material good enough to match the talent.Jimi Hendrix played licks, but he wrote songs also. This woman had bubble gum for a brain.I did not say that she could write her own material - I don't know.Aretha did to some extent, but see what I just added to my post below, having the right producer and a label that is willing to take risks are critical too.Some producers will help you churn out Top 40 Hits and some will help you grow as an artist.
Last edited by trackstar on February 12th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 1:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarGreatest Love of All - Whitney HoustonTo me, it sounds like her entries and exits are off key when she is singing at the bottom of her range. Not stylized, but poorly controlled.When I was a choir boy, they had me sing the solos at Christmas mass. So maybe my ear isn't terrible...
Last edited by farmer on February 12th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 2:02 pm

How do the entries and exits sound to you here?This is what I prefer, but you have to take pop music for what it is. No one makes the transition to real music convincingly.Aria from Diva - Wilhelmenia Wiggins Fernandez or you might like this from an earlier time:La Wally - Maria CallasRecording from 1954, so you have to be a little forgiving of the fidelity.

farmer

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 2:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarAria from Diva - Wilhelmenia Wiggins FernandezIt has a light touch. Precision with a loose grip. Or a strong grip that is made to sound easy. Very nice. I generally don't like opera. But after suffering through Whitney throwing it around like she can't be bothered, this was very enjoyable.

farmer

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Going on sound alone, I think Bessie Smith took being an artist more seriously than Whitney.

trackstar

Whitney RIP

February 13th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Bessie is amazing, but that was another place and time.Back to opera for a minute - one more... Angela GHEORGHIU Live - O mio babbino caro - G Schicchi - PucciniAgain, you have to be tolerant of the fidelity - this is youtube, not the original recording played through your gigantic Klipsch speakers.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On