SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

hayes
Topic Author

Cats and their "gifts"

February 14th, 2012, 3:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PowerpuffQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesLegally, animal rights laws seem a bit vague and confused globally. It is normally a strange, patch-work mixture of "human right" style legislation and property law, based on which animals we feel are an essential part of our agriculture and sporting industries, which ones are part of our cultural heritage and which ones we think look cute.I thought animal rights were supposed to regulate how humans treat animals, and not how animals treat other animals?I have always encouraged my cats to hunt. Rats and mice get a ridiculous amount of babies each year, precisely because so many of them get eaten by predators. If anyone found a way to decrease their birthrate I suppose we could breed cats that were less prone to treat smaller animals like an amusement park. My family also invite local hunters to our property each fall (to shoot deer and moose). But the problem with fox hunting is, IMHO, that the focus is on the chase and not on the kill/management of fox population. And since most people I know like to think of themselves as civilized I believe hunting should be made as humane as possible.Those are some interesting points. To clarify, I was more trying to describe how (in the UK definitely, but no doubt in other places too) most animal cruelty laws are a bit mix and match of various pieces of legislation over the years and how society views animal cruelty differently for different animals, (rightly or wrongly). How animals treat other animals is irrelevant, it is always the owners responsibility for their behavior, whether it's a pitbull that attacks a child, a hound chasing a fox, or a cat chasing pests and other wildlife.To manage farmland and other "managed" woodlands etc, I understand that pests have to be controlled. And although deer and moose aren't "pests", they would certainly begin to suffer if allowed to breed uncontrollably. (By the sounds of it, much in the manner that RMax would if he became a deer or moose...... or panda even).

hayes
Topic Author

Cats and their "gifts"

February 14th, 2012, 3:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaIf the culling of excess rats, mice, song birds is the goal, then cats are a horrible solution -- too cruel. It's better to use a mechanical (or electrical) trap that applies very lethal force to the target creature than one that plays with the animal and leaves it half-dead on one's doorstep.The choice to let a cat outside is a human choice that makes the human responsible for the consequences.This debate could turn quite nasty, quite quickly. I hope I haven't let the cat among the pigeons!

Powerpuff

Cats and their "gifts"

February 14th, 2012, 3:31 pm

If there was an actual threat around, the red cat would become dinner:
Last edited by Powerpuff on February 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Powerpuff

Cats and their "gifts"

February 14th, 2012, 3:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaIf the culling of excess rats, mice, song birds is the goal, then cats are a horrible solution -- too cruel. It's better to use a mechanical (or electrical) trap that applies very lethal force to the target creature than one that plays with the animal and leaves it half-dead on one's doorstep.The choice to let a cat outside is a human choice that makes the human responsible for the consequences.Are there mobile mechanical traps as well? Because that is the main advantage of using cats to catch mice, their mobility. If you can provide a trap that moves around I will retrain my cat to do this all day instead of hunting:

Cuchulainn

Cats and their "gifts"

February 14th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

dd3

Cats and their "gifts"

February 14th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Polter

Cats and their "gifts"

February 15th, 2012, 3:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: PowerpuffQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesLegally, animal rights laws seem a bit vague and confused globally. It is normally a strange, patch-work mixture of "human right" style legislation and property law, based on which animals we feel are an essential part of our agriculture and sporting industries, which ones are part of our cultural heritage and which ones we think look cute.I thought animal rights were supposed to regulate how humans treat animals, and not how animals treat other animals?I have always encouraged my cats to hunt. Rats and mice get a ridiculous amount of babies each year, precisely because so many of them get eaten by predators. If anyone found a way to decrease their birthrate I suppose we could breed cats that were less prone to treat smaller animals like an amusement park. My family also invite local hunters to our property each fall (to shoot deer and moose). But the problem with fox hunting is, IMHO, that the focus is on the chase and not on the kill/management of fox population. And since most people I know like to think of themselves as civilized I believe hunting should be made as humane as possible.. . . How animals treat other animals is irrelevant . . . It could lead to some interesting legal cases, though:Shark devours another shark whole

hayes
Topic Author

Cats and their "gifts"

February 15th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Indeed....

hayes
Topic Author

Cats and their "gifts"

February 15th, 2012, 5:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunWhat's that?? A crock sticking out of an anaconda??It was taken in Florida I think..... basically a snake of some description had eyes bigger than it's belly, so it burst open. Neither party did very well out of the situation, kind of like when that guy from Good Charlotte married Nicole Richie.

Traden4Alpha

Cats and their "gifts"

February 15th, 2012, 11:25 pm

I'm sure the mice are laughing!

Polter

Cats and their "gifts"

February 16th, 2012, 12:27 am

Horrifying... ...wait!
Last edited by Polter on February 15th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExSan

Cats and their "gifts"

February 18th, 2012, 9:42 pm

DevonFangs

Cats and their "gifts"

February 20th, 2012, 11:35 pm

Polter

Cats and their "gifts"

February 26th, 2012, 12:38 am

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On