SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: RIP

June 10th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Collector wrote:
ppauper wrote:
Alan wrote:
Not dead, but very sad news nonetheless ...

Charles Krauthammer Announces He Has Weeks To Live

sad news indeed.
For those who don't know, Mr Krauthammer is a neoconservative political commentator who got his start in politics as a speechwriter for Carter's VP Walter Mondale
In 2016 like most of the neocons he was a never-trump, returning to his Democrat roots and supporting Hillary

Sad, but who is telling him such things "My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live.",  What models do doctors use when says such, 95% probability model of some sort?  several people have been told weeks to live, ten years ago, but yes they are likely exceptions, but some live from the tails of the distribution.

I would  try to hide from medical doctors at least for some weeks after declared dead. Never trust medical doctors on life and death and tail probabilities.

indeed, watch this video posted by cuch
Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
my favorite was always,
patient: it hurts when I do this
doctor: then don't do that

Funny. I like the one in Goodfellas

tagoma

June 12th, 2018, 8:51 pm

France's Queen of Accordeon Yvette Horner dies at 95 

RIP. She was quite iconic here in bready France ("world famous in France", as the OT saying goes). She became famous while touring along the Tour de France during the 50/60s.

Collector

June 13th, 2018, 8:09 am

Happy birthday Maxwell !! even dead people deserve birthday regards, live people may be not so much! James Clerk Maxwell June 13th! 

ppauper

June 21st, 2018, 11:04 pm

Alan wrote:

rip

Alan

June 22nd, 2018, 3:33 am

ppauper wrote:
Alan wrote:

rip

Yes, RIP. A nice example of his thinking:

ppauper

June 22nd, 2018, 5:53 am

Not to diminish him, I found it odd that the article I linked said,
He also coined the term “The Reagan Doctrine,” among others.

United States presidential doctrines
Given that there had been a "Carter Doctrine," a "Ford Doctrine" (not listed by wiki but google finds it), a "Nixon Doctine," and so on, with certainly every modern president having a foreign policy "doctrine," we knew there was going to be a "Reagan Doctrine" before the Gipper was even sworn in. Let me coin the term "Pence Doctrine" in the event that the current vice president succeeds President Trump

I did like the line,
“In this crazy election year, there are no straight-line projections,” he noted, adding presciently, “As Clinton leaves Philadelphia, her lifelong drive for the ultimate prize is perilously close to a coin flip.”

As we saw in the primaries, Hillary is incredibly lucky. When was the last time she lost a coin toss?

He also summarized the neo-cons, the Scoop Jackson Democrats who split from the Democratic Party on foreign policy.
The neoconservatives were liberal interventionists, favoring big government at home and an interventionist foreign policy.
Later, as a writer for The New Republic, Krauthammer, then a self-styled Democrat, exhibited the kind of willingness to criticize political leaders regardless of their party.
"I'm very unhappy with the Democratic foreign policy," he told the Post. "And I'm very unhappy with Republican domestic policy."

Paul

June 22nd, 2018, 6:11 am

ppauper wrote:
Let me coin the term "Pence Doctrine" in the event that the current vice president succeeds President Trump

Already exists, google it! You've got to be faster! I'm coining the Dwayne Johnson Doctrine, "The Rock Doc."

ISayMoo

June 22nd, 2018, 7:59 am

ppauper

June 22nd, 2018, 8:12 am

I was going to coin the "Kardashian Doctrine," which would work for Kim, Kourtney, Khloe, Kendall, ...., but that one's taken also

Cuchulainn

June 22nd, 2018, 10:34 am

Let me coin the term "Pence Doctrine" in the event that the current vice president succeeds President Trump

I have a pretty good idea what that would be; back to the 50s, it's just the century that is in doubt (mind you, there's most like him as I have said a couple of times)..

Paul

June 22nd, 2018, 11:08 am

You are repeating yourself, again!

Cuchulainn

June 22nd, 2018, 12:27 pm

Paul wrote:

Indeed, but it is documented. I was mentioning the fact that I mentioned something in  the past..Besides, it was the same comment in a broader context. I plead 'not guilty'.

In my defense, I heard the phrase used on BBC2.

BTW ppauper posts the same Family Guy 'curry video' quite a lot and no one bats an eye.

Cuchulainn

June 22nd, 2018, 12:40 pm

Paul wrote:

This is not the first time that you have said that. 
Shakespeare knew the power of repetition (e.g. Mark Anthony's speech).

Paul

June 22nd, 2018, 12:56 pm

If it’s going to be a catchphrase it needs to be...catchy. I’ve probably said that before. One loses track.

katastrofa

June 22nd, 2018, 1:24 pm

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...