SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

i broke my foot is there anything they can do for it?

April 24th, 2012, 12:41 am

As to be expected, I broke about half the equipment off the right side of my motorcycle using my right foot. I don't know if it is sprained in there, or fractured, or compound fractured - I can't get the boot off. So I am curious what I would have to gain, if anything, by actually cutting the boot off, getting it x-rayed, in each of the possible scenarios.I have seen doctors set broken bones, and generally they aren't very aggressive. I imagine even less so with broken foot bones. So I am wondering how bad it would have to be for me to gain anything for the hassle.

trackstar

April 24th, 2012, 12:47 am

Get some one to drive you to the hospital right now and let them extract your foot from the boot.Do not do this yourself, even if you are not feeling much pain yet. Good luck.
Last edited by trackstar on April 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

April 24th, 2012, 12:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarlet them extract your foot from the boot.They are just going to cut the fukn boot off. It makes sense. I saw these insane boots at the motorcycle store. They make you look like a hell-bent goth. But I was considering getting them when I wore these boots out anyway. It makes sense that if you bounce 500 pounds of metal across your foot, these cool work boots won't do much.Anyway, last time I broke this foot I never went to the doctor, and it only hurt for about 10 years. I am more likely to get cancer this time, and not even have to go 10 years. So I think I will wait until morning and get a few more sample points of nervous impulse.Anyway I ripped some skin off, and like I was beginning to suspect, I do not really care. You would have to be wearing iron boots and a kevlar exoskeleton before your concerns got down to bleeding.

trackstar

April 24th, 2012, 1:01 am

You will do what you want, but I would not wait on this.The carnage in there could be pretty bad and if it starts to swell or bleed alot you are going to have a big problem in a few hours.Did you just drop the bike from a standstill or was this a fall in motion?

farmer
Topic Author

April 24th, 2012, 1:05 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarDid you just drop the bike from a standstill or was this a fall in motion?I was banking on a right turn, as I had become dangerously addicted to. Then a car coming the other way jumped into my path so I banked even harder. And my best guess is that my right foot, foot brake, and peg bit the asphalt.Feels pretty peculiar in the arch. But I am already getting much better sensory data than I was an hour ago, so I will keep waiting.

trackstar

April 24th, 2012, 1:08 am

Are you factoring in adrenaline and endorphins to your sensory data?When I fell off a horse and hit a jump last summer, the point of impact on my forearm swelled up to the size of a large egg. I did not even feel it - i was just standing there checking the horse over and my trainer noticed it first.If that situation had been encased in a tight leather boot it would have been much worse.
Last edited by trackstar on April 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

April 24th, 2012, 1:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIf that situation had been encased in a tight leather boot it would have been much worse.The thing is, the boot may be ideal for my recovery. Once it comes off, I will not get something on there so nice again. And what if Fermion comes to visit Disney world? The swollen blood-filled boot will be ideal for stomping on his face.QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarI am worried about you.I am dying, trackstar, I have one last request: Go man the phones for Romney! Go!

trackstar

April 24th, 2012, 1:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIf that situation had been encased in a tight leather boot it would have been much worse.The thing is, the boot may be ideal for my recovery. Once it comes off, I will not get something on there so nice again. And what if Fermion comes to visit Disney world? The swollen blood-filled boot will be ideal for stomping on his face.QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarI am worried about you.I am dying, trackstar, I have one last request: Go man the phones for Romney! Go!I am considering switching to Independent so I can vote for Mitt. And please post again from the Emergency Room.If no one can drive you just dial 911 and tell them you cannot drive yourself. I used to hesitate to do that, but you are entitled to such services.

farmer
Topic Author

April 24th, 2012, 1:27 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIf no one can drive you just dial 911 and tell them you cannot drive yourself. I used to hesitate to do that, but you are entitled to such services.I am inclined not to be moved from the position I am in right now for at least 72 hours.

trackstar

April 24th, 2012, 1:32 am

Just call them and unlock the door - EMTs are very good at moving people who are in pain and do not want to move.I guess you can look at this as a choice between fixing a mangled foot tonight or losing the foot in 72 hours.Think it over.

farmer
Topic Author

April 24th, 2012, 1:39 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarfixing a mangled foot tonight or losing the foot in 72 hours.It feels kinda crazy in there, but I think the boot worked. It allowed the maximum amount of superficial damage and bone and ligament stress, but stiffened right at the point where the foot would have been destroyed.I kinda wonder if I instinctively braked with my right foot, and that caused me to lose altitude. I have been practicing very often my fast stops with anti-locks only on the front. I want that extra few feet of deceleration. And it is possible I trained my reaction to occur instantly even where I didn't want it.
Last edited by farmer on April 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

April 24th, 2012, 1:42 am

IANAD but the biggest concern is with losing circulation to your toes if the swollen foot stays in the boot. Also, if your ankle isn't working, then that should also get attention sooner rather than later because you don't want to mess up such an important joint. I wouldn't try to pull the boot off because that might pull on the damaged bits.The sole of your boot probably limited the lateral squeezing (otherwise your toes would have been crushed together) but the bones in the ankle and upper parts of the foot may have be crunched between the road and knobbly bits on the bike. My wild-ass guess is that the most likely broken bone in this case might be the first metatarsal or first cuniform which would have been pushed against the bike and make your arch feel weird. It's also possible that things are just dislocated and bruised but IANAD!The foot is full of small bones and lots of tendons holding all together. If you break one of these bones, there's a chance the normal tension in the tendons will prevent the two pieces from ever realigning. In such cases, pins or screws are used to hold the pieces together.I'd say it's time for an x-ray and better medical care than you can get on an internet forum.

trackstar

April 24th, 2012, 1:43 am

I am looking forward to hearing about the ride with the EMTs and what kinds of bizarre people are in the ER at 11 pm on a Monday night.This is not something you do every day - it will be good for your creativity.

zerdna

April 24th, 2012, 1:52 am

Dude, you can go into EM, get into a fight with someone, pick up a nurse, and maybe score some drugs for pain relief. Also, if they put a cast on your foot and give you a crutch it could be well used on Fermazoid when he comes to lynch some racist squirrell in Disneyland. Then you could sue him for breaking your crutch with his face. What's good about staying home -- you are not even drinking, just picking up trackstar with your soppy stories of wounded motorcycle warrior. You could do it any night.

trackstar

April 24th, 2012, 1:57 am

No, not picking me up - zerdna of single track mind. I do care about farmer though.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On