SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

who understand what my web site does and how much will you charge to finish it?

June 12th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Who understands what my web site does and how much will you charge to finish it?http://scalpwhore.com

hayes

June 12th, 2012, 3:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerWho understands what my web site does and how much will you charge to finish it?http://scalpwhore.comI can instantly think of at least 5 reasons why I shouldn't open that link at work.

rmax

June 12th, 2012, 3:52 pm

I opened it. And have not had the NN after me yet...I think of 100 reasons why it won't work as a concept. But I will start with the easy one: it is illegal.

DevonFangs

June 12th, 2012, 4:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI opened it. And have not had the NN after me yet...I think of 100 reasons why it won't work as a concept. But I will start with the easy one: it is illegal.Could you pls summarize its content. I'm curious but they are quite strict here in terms on browsing policy.

zerdna

June 12th, 2012, 4:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI opened it. And have not had the NN after me yet...I think of 100 reasons why it won't work as a concept. But I will start with the easy one: it is illegal.Could you pls summarize its content. I'm curious but they are quite strict here in terms on browsing policy.you sell in a private transaction details about your future large order to the highest bidder to recoup part of your transaction cost. The bidder frontruns you but pays in advance for this right. If you provide truthful info, you are highly rated and get many bids. The justification is that scalpers aka farmer are so good that they will figure out you have an order even if you try to hide it and screw you anyway. Why fight it, be a good whore, in terms of farms eloquent explanation. One wonders why would these omnipotent scalpers even need this website if they are so good. In a similar vein, however, another idea that pops up quickly is for insiders to sell inside info about future earnings on this website -- it gets figured out anyway, why fight it, just get paid for it. With enough beer to forget what little i remember on legalisms in series 7 and series 55 i can come up with much more. Hopefully, farm will keep us updated on the number of users he has.
Last edited by zerdna on June 11th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

June 12th, 2012, 5:07 pm

QuoteOne wonders why would these omnipotent scalpers even need this website if they are so goodGood point!I don't see why you can't use this to scalp the scalper. Put in a huge order, get the bid and then blow him up. Simples.

traderjoe1976

June 12th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Yeah, I am also dying to open this web site because I know that it will have some very special content. But there are overhead cameras in the office and it is way too risky.

traderjoe1976

June 12th, 2012, 5:11 pm

second-price auction works much more efficiently to get people to reveal their true valuations.

Hansi

June 12th, 2012, 7:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI opened it. And have not had the NN after me yet...I think of 100 reasons why it won't work as a concept. But I will start with the easy one: it is illegal.Could you pls summarize its content. I'm curious but they are quite strict here in terms on browsing policy.One word: Farmer

tagoma

June 12th, 2012, 7:28 pm

this domain name is pretty cool, unfortunately i can't enter your website from my workplace. i will sure visit it from home. thanks farmer.
Last edited by tagoma on June 11th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

June 13th, 2012, 8:58 am

Thanks Z for the recap. The epic conclusion of this would be jail.

farmer
Topic Author

June 13th, 2012, 10:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsThe epic conclusion of this would be jail.Bah, I can see you went to law school. Currency is not an investment, and there is no inside information. What is next, I go to prison for phoning in my order ahead of time to the deli, or using carfax to get info before I buy a car?QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaOne wonders why would these omnipotent scalpers even need this website if they are so goodActually, it is designed to maximize profits and minimize labors costs for large order managers. It would put scalpers out of business kind of like drug dealers would go out of business if you could buy crack at the grocery store.

zerdna

June 13th, 2012, 11:51 am

Quote Currency is not an investment, and there is no inside information. What is next, I go to prison for phoning in my order ahead of time to the deli, or using carfax to get info before I buy a car? Inside information is defined as 'material non public information', i.e. if it's private and can move the price, it's inside information. The guy who is front-running you is also taking money from a third party who trades with him using your private information. Just like Rajaratnam who paid his informers took the money from the third parties. Whether you like this justification or not is a different story, i am just giving you the official line.Your site doesn't specify the market. As far applying this to currency i don't know regulation there. If you are talking futures or options on public exchanges which is at most 5% of forex volume, i suppose the same rules apply as for stocks. The bulk of trades is in spot, forwards, and currency swap, and i understand it all goes over the counter. So in fact large orders are phoned in and it is legal for banks to front run them with other banks if they can. The crucial difference of current arrangement is that scalp whores, i.e. clients that need spot transactions, phone orders to scalpers, aka banks. It's not some 'information about orders' that you propose to sell, it's orders themselves. The mechanism that you propose to control delivery of truthful information seems weak. Frontrunner pays money in your scheme and all he gets as a recourse if someone didn't trade or traded in an opposite direction is ability to rate someone badly? Reminds me 'Trading places' situation with orange crop report. 'Turn these machines back on...' moment.
Last edited by zerdna on June 12th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

June 13th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Zerdna understands it. But I don't think I can afford what he would charge to finish it.

CrashedMint

June 13th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Actually each time you open this thread the word "scalpwhore" is transmitted 12 times to your work computer. No sorry, actually "scalpwhore" is mentioned 13 times. Your compliance guy will love it.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On