SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

girls, what is up with chasing girls?

June 13th, 2012, 6:43 pm

I have known some girl for like a year, been off and on with her. I have not given her that much energy, and sometimes I been kinda mean, because I know I am not her type. But she is sweet, though far from perfect, and I really would rather spend my energy on her, if there was any point to it. To me, it is a waste of time.But I have heard of this thing where guys "chase" girls. If a girl is not that into them on day one, they take some sort of action, and the girl ends up liking them better? It does not make any sense to me. Under what circumstances does this work? I have had girls in the past who dumped me and then decided they made a mistake, or girls who suddenly thought I was a little cooler because I got a bigger house or a shinier car. But other than that, if a girl is not that into you on day one, and she pretty much knows what there is to know about you, what can you change by "chasing" her? Are girls really attracted to persistence or devotion or something?If I could make myself her type by chasing her, I would. But it just seems silly to me. And yet you hear about guys actually doing this chasing thing. What is it, and what does it accomplish? Can a girl's mind really change what it is attracted to, short versus tall, loud versus quiet, funny versus serious? Or won't fat guys, for example, always be out of luck with a girl who likes skinny guys? I know fat guys chase girls, but do they get anywhere? Or do they just end up with a girl who is always cheating with a skinny guy out the back door?

Powerpuff

June 13th, 2012, 7:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmer Are girls really attracted to persistence or devotion or something?Sure, some are. A girl can certainly get infatuated by seeing a pleasant reflection of herself in the eyes of some man. Many girls like to get their ego massaged (just like most men).

tagoma

June 13th, 2012, 8:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PowerpuffQuoteOriginally posted by: farmer Are girls really attracted to persistence or devotion or something?Sure, some are. A girl can certainly get infatuated by seeing a pleasant reflection of herself in the eyes of some man. Many girls like to get their ego massaged (just like most men).you are a true queen*, PP. *no semantic ambiguity

Anomanderis

June 13th, 2012, 9:24 pm

I thought the whole chasing thing went out of style when we were in our late teens?

CrashedMint

June 13th, 2012, 10:40 pm

chicken shit.if i really want a girl i'll give it my best try and maybe try again should I fail but that whole "putting massive effort into getting uninterested girl" thing is a mystery to me. To be honest I think I'm quite the get, so why would I chase somebody?

zerdna

June 13th, 2012, 10:40 pm

She'd feel flattered for sure, although you'd be despised or neglected, if that's what you are after. If you want to make her hot to go to bed with you, chasing her is one of the worst ideas. I am pretty sure you should be fairly informed about that. I guess the post is a hook to get someone to respond. Sort of like 'colored people are blah blah' styled posts are sometimes obvious hooks for Anomanderis, or say discourses on ugly stupid russian women are sometimes obvious hooks for me. So, come clean, who are we hooking here ?

Anomanderis

June 13th, 2012, 11:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaShe'd feel flattered for sure, although you'd be despised or neglected, if that's what you are after. If you want to make her hot to go to bed with you, chasing her is one of the worst ideas. I am pretty sure you should be fairly informed about that. I guess the post is a hook to get someone to respond. Sort of like 'colored people are blah blah' styled posts are sometimes obvious hooks for Anomanderis, or say discourses on ugly stupid russian women are sometimes obvious hooks for me. So, come clean, who are we hooking here ?Heh. Idiot.I did note that a lot of those threads got deleted not too long ago....
Last edited by Anomanderis on June 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

June 14th, 2012, 1:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintwhy would I chase somebody?Maybe you think someone would be better off with you, and you want that person to be in a better situation? Maybe you would do it not for you but for the other person.

Powerpuff

June 14th, 2012, 7:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardyou are a true queen*, PP. *no semantic ambiguity

daveangel

June 14th, 2012, 7:35 am

Quote To be honest I think I'm quite the get, so why would I chase somebody? You must be a resident of Lake Wobegone
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Cuchulainn

June 14th, 2012, 8:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote To be honest I think I'm quite the get, so why would I chase somebody? You must be a resident of Lake WobegonReminds me of a scene from "Father Ted" song for Europe. And Euro 2012 effect.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

CrashedMint

June 14th, 2012, 10:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote To be honest I think I'm quite the get, so why would I chase somebody? You must be a resident of Lake WobegoneActually I'm a big fan of Dunning?Kruger etc. but simply because not everybody can be above average doesn't mean nobody is. Obviously everybody has flaws and weaknesses.

tagoma

March 4th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Where are the OT ladies?

trackstar

March 4th, 2014, 11:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardWhere are the OT ladies?Watching the entire W forum, including articles and blogs, from a safe distance. In other words, I'm taking a well-deserved break from my public life. Not sure about the other ladies.

ExSan

March 7th, 2014, 5:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardWhere are the OT ladies? yeah, I miss them !, a world plenty of macho men (quants) has no sense
Last edited by ExSan on March 6th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On