SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

GiusCo

Barclays and the LIBOR cartel

July 1st, 2012, 1:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: neuroguySo if banks will manipulate interest rates and if a previous chief executive of Barclays claims there is "systematic dishonesty", how can it be a good idea to work for one of these institutions?Can it get any worse!Pecunia non olet but that level of malpractice is beyond belief and probably not convenient for anyone, anymore.

neuroguy
Topic Author

July 2nd, 2012, 9:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: GiusCoQuoteOriginally posted by: neuroguySo if banks will manipulate interest rates and if a previous chief executive of Barclays claims there is "systematic dishonesty", how can it be a good idea to work for one of these institutions?Can it get any worse!Pecunia non olet but that level of malpractice is beyond belief and probably not convenient for anyone, anymore.Smelly money or not, this thing has kicked up quite a s*it storm. Its hardly going to help already challenging conditions in the industry.

daveangel

July 3rd, 2012, 6:05 am

Bod Diamond calls it a day
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

rmax

July 3rd, 2012, 8:41 am

You Tube: Mrs Brown

Cuchulainn

July 3rd, 2012, 8:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxYou Tube: Mrs BrownTerry Gilliam used to babysit one of my quant students; maybe a connection?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

July 3rd, 2012, 9:01 am

Wow you have a connection to everyone! Very envious as he has directed some really great films. He has also directed tosh though.I know a guy's gran who lived in a village where Gabriel Byrne was filming. The gran and Gabriel got on very well and he would pop over for a cup of tea. The gran could not believe that he was famous at all, and just thought he was a nice lad!

Cuchulainn

July 3rd, 2012, 9:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxWow you have a connection to everyone! Very envious as he has directed some really great films. He has also directed tosh though.I know a guy's gran who lived in a village where Gabriel Byrne was filming. The gran and Gabriel got on very well and he would pop over for a cup of tea. The gran could not believe that he was famous at all, and just thought he was a nice lad!aaargghh! Speak of the devilA true story! Last Wednesday I saw GB at Gare du Nord in Paris. He almost bumped into me. No airs and graces.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

July 3rd, 2012, 9:08 am

I have never met him. Another friend of mine bumped into him down by The Clink in London. She kind of recognised him, but thought that he was friend; so she said how nice to it was see him, and what the various friends of hers were doing and said they had to catch-up and that she had to dash etc.... It was only after walking down the road for 5 mins did she realised who it was!!

rmax

July 3rd, 2012, 9:09 am

Quoteaaargghh! Speak of the devilAnd I am slow because I have only just got the reference (if one was intended) - but then that should surely be KS!?!!

Cuchulainn

July 3rd, 2012, 9:18 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteaaargghh! Speak of the devilAnd I am slow because I have only just got the reference (if one was intended) - but then that should surely be KS!?!!KS?

rmax

July 3rd, 2012, 12:49 pm

Kevin Spacey!

DevonFangs

July 3rd, 2012, 2:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelBod Diamond calls it a dayThis surprised me a little. Have they made any possible names yet?

daveangel

July 3rd, 2012, 2:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelBod Diamond calls it a dayThis surprised me a little. Have they made any possible names yet?well they approached me and I said no simply on the basis of neuroguy's assertion that it cannot be a good place to work.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

neuroguy
Topic Author

July 3rd, 2012, 2:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelBod Diamond calls it a dayThis surprised me a little. Have they made any possible names yet?well they approached me and I said no simply on the basis of neuroguy's assertion that it cannot be a good place to work.I'm flattered.But seriously, it looks like the FSA, BoE and probably the government decided that it was worth trying to extinguish the furore by sacrificing Bob. Presumably they are worried about what a genuinely open enquiry into these matters might throw out. Being forced into painful re-regulation of the banking sector at this juncture is probably a scenario the current government wants to avoid at all costs. Interesting times... Anyone like 'The Wire'? I think that Cameron and Osbourne are right now, behind closed doors, eating 'big bowls of shit'.
Last edited by neuroguy on July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neuroguy
Topic Author

July 3rd, 2012, 3:00 pm

HA! This gets better and better.Tucker asked Diamond why Barlcays libor always 'so high'Continuing 'The Wire' analogy. Follow the money...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On