SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

ebay bids watchers

July 3rd, 2012, 5:04 am

I have been trying to sell something on ebay but I don't get any bids. Starting bid is a few thousand. The first two times I listed it, it said there were three "watchers." What is that, someone who checks a box to get an email if there are any bids? What I want to know is why would these people "watch" my item and not bid on it? There have been no similar items for sale. So it is not someone trying to sell his and wants to see what happens with mine, because nobody is selling anything like it.Is it possible to lower the price in the middle of the auction if nobody bids on it? I guess it is. Does that happen often? If so, do you think that is what they are watching for?

DevonFangs

ebay bids watchers

July 3rd, 2012, 6:27 am

maybe they have something like that they would like to sell and want to see how much you can make from yours (and decide whether to sell it or not)or if it's a fancy item I wouldn't be surprised if it were just a bunch of curious people clicking randomly

Cuchulainn

ebay bids watchers

July 3rd, 2012, 6:57 am

tax man.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

farmer
Topic Author

ebay bids watchers

July 6th, 2012, 6:09 pm

I have 81 views, 4 watchers, and no bids. The problem is people think this is something they can get somewhere else, or build themselves for cheaper. But they can't. And by the time they are done trying, they are out of money.So how can I convey to them "don't try this at home" without giving them the secrets to success?I could just put a headline "You think you can make this yourself? You can't." But I don't think they would believe me. I know they will spend more money than I am charging, and more time. But they don't know this.All my questions are from people who are trying to get insight on how I did it. I am here selling this thing, and they have the audacity to ask me how to make it work.Someone even offered me $400 to show him the steps on camera. I told him go fuck yourself.
Last edited by farmer on July 5th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

ebay bids watchers

July 8th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Now I have five watchers, and 123 views. I have a theory about the watchers. I think they want it, but they don't have the money. So they are saving up. If it is still there, they will buy it. So the usual urgency trick that generates internet sales won't work on them. But I think it will sell now.

farmer
Topic Author

ebay bids watchers

July 8th, 2012, 9:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThey won't place a bid because if you're not getting any bids you might have to lower the offer price at some point, which is good for them. However once there is a bid by someone else they suddenly lose control and then will have to make a decision.But I think by now, and by the end of the auction they get the idea the price is not coming down. I don't expect bids until the end of the auction no matter what.

farmer
Topic Author

ebay bids watchers

July 30th, 2012, 5:29 am

I know I have not revised it too many times, because I have only revised it once. And I know there is no rule about changing the price in the last hour or whatever, because I have raised a price right before the buzzer before.So I am wondering if someone has a "timed bid" or something, to hit 1 minute before the auction ends. And since ebay considers this a bid, you cannot change the price after somebody has bid.If this were the case, it might make sense for me to put in a bid from another account. This would have a decent chance of pushing up the price on his auto-bid.I looked it up on Google. Everyone else who could not revise either had some bids, or got some kind of error message. I simply cannot edit the text of the price like I usually do, it uneditable.Quote<span class="l"><div class="inpText">45.0</div></span><input id="startPriceHdn" type="hidden" name="startPriceHdn" value="45.0" />The only thing I can guess is that I sold something else last night in the paypal account for the email address I am using, and I have some kind of limit on the amount I can sell each month either in cash or in items.I think these scumbags think I am selling under the table without paying seller fees, and now I want to come in and either cancel the auction, or raise the price so it is effectively canceled.
Last edited by farmer on July 29th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

ebay bids watchers

April 28th, 2015, 8:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunCool NASA lens at eBay LinkSold! BTW how can such things land in indidivual's hands?

Traden4Alpha

ebay bids watchers

April 28th, 2015, 8:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunCool NASA lens at eBay LinkSold! BTW how can such things land in indidivual's hands?Possibly it was a government surplus auction although the provenance of it is unknown.You can get new optics of this specification for about $3-5k.

Traden4Alpha

ebay bids watchers

April 29th, 2015, 1:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunCool NASA lens at eBay LinkSold! BTW how can such things land in indidivual's hands?Possibly it was a government surplus auction although the provenance of it is unknown.You can get new optics of this specification for about $3-5k.Cool! Shows you how quickly technology and production improves *and* that cost bases pricing doesn't work (the cost of production at the time was 'a small home').Yep. It's amazing how much things "cost" on government contracts vs. for consumer products.What interesting is that the military used to be the lead adopter of new technology and the driver for a lot of R&D. But now its consumer electronics that's pushing the development of new chips and such.

Traden4Alpha

ebay bids watchers

April 29th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Yes, it's basically a small telescope that one could attach a medium format film camera, 70 mm movie camera, or large CCD sensor to.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On