SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Mermaids don't exist

July 4th, 2012, 8:00 am

have they said "mermaids don't exist" or rather there is no evidence that they exist ?what about the other kind of mermaid with the bottom half of a woman and the top half of a fish !

Traden4Alpha

Mermaids don't exist

July 4th, 2012, 6:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperhave they said "mermaids don't exist" or rather there is no evidence that they exist ?"Proofs" of the non-existence of large potentially mythical beasts (mermaids, yeti, Loch Less monsters, etc.) are usually based on the density of credible observations, minimum breeding populations, the biophysics of such beasts (e.g., sizes of required feeding areas, rate of surfacing for air, etc.), and the inevitable artifacts (carcasses, feces, bones, etc.) that these animals would produce. There are certainly plenty of unknown beasties on the planet that have evaded the eyes of scientists, but larger creatures are not so easy to hide.That said, any scientist that says "X don't exist" as a 100% certainty should probably be stripped of their PhD and tenure and sent to some mushy-headed theology school.

HOOK

Mermaids don't exist

July 5th, 2012, 4:45 pm

I once was in a tour boat to see whales at sea. When the boat came close to them, we could hear some of their singing. It sounded quite magical, I can tell you that. The acustic of the open sea makes it very different from the recordings shown on TV.I guess the myth of the enchanted singing of mermaids/sirrens might have originated from sailors hearing whale´s singing.

DevonFangs
Topic Author

Mermaids don't exist

July 5th, 2012, 4:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HOOKI once was in a tour boat to see whales at sea. this is pretty funny, don't you always see whales on your boat in neverland

DevonFangs
Topic Author

Mermaids don't exist

July 5th, 2012, 4:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HOOKI once was in a tour boat to see whales at sea. When the boat came close to them, we could hear some of their singing. It sounded quite magical, I can tell you that. The acustic of the open sea makes it very different from the recordings shown on TV.I guess the myth of the enchanted singing of mermaids/sirrens might have originated from sailors hearing whale´s singing.I was in a pub on Saturday night. Had a few....I noticed two large women by the bar.They both had strong accents so I asked, "Hey, are you two ladies from Scotland?"One of them chirped: "It's WALES you friggin' idiot!"So, I immediately apologized and said..., "Sorry, are you two whales from Scotland ?"

quantmeh

Mermaids don't exist

July 5th, 2012, 7:08 pm

the certainly do exist, they're more real than black holes or white dwarfshttp://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/05/merm ... TB20120705
Last edited by quantmeh on July 4th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

Mermaids don't exist

July 5th, 2012, 7:29 pm

FOR SURE mermaids exist! i once met one in Eurodisney-Paris. she looked like a human red-headed with a fat belly

quantmeh

Mermaids don't exist

July 5th, 2012, 7:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardshe looked like a human red-headed she doesn't look human

HOOK

Mermaids don't exist

July 6th, 2012, 5:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: HOOKI once was in a tour boat to see whales at sea. this is pretty funny, don't you always see whales on your boat in neverlandActually, I see a lot of mermaids there in Neverland as well !But I thought that if I said that, it would sound a little wacky !So I came up with this "whale tour story"...

Cuchulainn

Mermaids don't exist

July 6th, 2012, 5:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HOOKQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: HOOKI once was in a tour boat to see whales at sea. this is pretty funny, don't you always see whales on your boat in neverlandActually, I see a lot of mermaids there in Neverland as well !But I thought that if I said that, it would sound a little wacky !So I came up with this "whale tour story"...And in Nedeland, lots of water, yes?
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

HOOK

Mermaids don't exist

July 19th, 2012, 1:50 pm

In Brazil, there´s an old indian myth about a beautiful woman, half woman, half fish, called "Iara" ,who lives in the bottom of the rivers. From time to time she goes to the surface, and seduces men with her singing, and they end up drowning. I find it amazing this similarity with the mermaids/sireens stories, but instead of the sea, she leaves in the bottom of the rivers. The folclore of most of these tribes relates to creaters of the florests/rivers, they hardly mention sea/oceans at all (most of them are not coastal tribes), and I believe they hadn´t had much contact with other mytologies.Come on, don´t you guys find it at least interesting this coincidence?

Traden4Alpha

Mermaids don't exist

July 19th, 2012, 2:13 pm

The coincidence is very interesting but I suspect it says more about humanity than it says about aquatic lifeforms.Myths about mermaids, sirens, and laras are part of a broader pattern in which people ascribe agency, intelligence, and purpose to inanimate and animate objects to explain the physical world in terms of spirits and gods. Stories of mermaids are no different than stories of sun gods, moon gods, volcano gods, cave spirits, animal spirits, etc. Humans are innately social creatures with a powerful instinctual process for modeling the behaviour of others as social agents. It's not surprising that they would reuse this model of the social world to also model the physical world as if it were composed of humanoid entities.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on July 18th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On