SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa
Topic Author

No country for pet owners

July 20th, 2012, 2:04 am

I live in Greater London. Some time ago I got (pwned by) two kittens - they are cool, intelligent (I taught them to fetch, sit, bark, call me when they used the litter box, etc.), well mannered (they don't destroy stuff) and don't smell (unless one doesn't like my perfumes). Then I decided to move out to another flat... after more then a month of calling estate agencies and viewing I still cannot find a decent place (i.e. in a good neighbourhood, where I won't be afraid to go back to after dark) because of the pets. I kept assuring the agents that the cats are cleaner than a regular tenant or offering higher deposit, but it turned out that all (or almost all) private properties within the boundaries of Central London don't allow pets in their lease agreements.I've heard about what's ambiguously called "the complex attitude of Brits to animals and Nature" (hunting, extermination of grey squirrels and badgers, poisoning urban foxes), but what's wrong about keeping pets? What heartless, evil people made this rule?a.

Traden4Alpha

July 20th, 2012, 10:34 am

The problem is bad pet owners who have given both pets and pet ownership a bad name. And I'm sure that property managers (and owners) just don't want the aggravation if a "good" pet goes bad.Perhaps it's time to buy a place rather than rent/lease?

ppauper

July 20th, 2012, 12:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa I kept assuring the agents that the cats are cleaner than a regular tenant .indeed, the regular tenants defecate in a litter box while the cats use the crapper

hayes

July 20th, 2012, 12:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI live in Greater London. Some time ago I got (pwned by) two kittens - they are cool, intelligent (I taught them to fetch, sit, bark, call me when they used the litter box, etc.), well mannered (they don't destroy stuff) and don't smell (unless one doesn't like my perfumes). Then I decided to move out to another flat... after more then a month of calling estate agencies and viewing I still cannot find a decent place (i.e. in a good neighbourhood, where I won't be afraid to go back to after dark) because of the pets. I kept assuring the agents that the cats are cleaner than a regular tenant or offering higher deposit, but it turned out that all (or almost all) private properties within the boundaries of Central London don't allow pets in their lease agreements.I've heard about what's ambiguously called "the complex attitude of Brits to animals and Nature" (hunting, extermination of grey squirrels and badgers, poisoning urban foxes), but what's wrong about keeping pets? What heartless, evil people made this rule?a.It's not just pets, it's also children.In the 1930's guest houses used to have signs outside that said:Quote"No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish"

tagoma

July 20th, 2012, 9:30 pm

one can assume money can buy love of pets.what about offering to pay an extra amount to those landlords?

farmer

July 20th, 2012, 9:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaafter more then a month of calling estate agencies and viewing I still cannot find a decent place (i.e. in a good neighbourhood, where I won't be afraid to go back to after dark) because of the pets.I don't think it is the pets. I think you have found something that, by coincidence, coincides with people not wanting pets. Like you are only looking at places with carpet or something. Or they are just taking your calls because you have a sexy voice, but they don't actually want to rent.Stop looking at furnished apartments. Or if you are a girl, stop using it to look at places that are priced below the market by people who are selective and are willing to charge less to get the perfect tenant.

ppauper

July 21st, 2012, 11:28 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesIn the 1930's guest houses used to have signs outside that said:Quote"No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish"if you had a black irish lab, you'd be screwed.

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 21st, 2012, 4:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperindeed, the regular tenants defecate in a litter box while the cats use the crapperActually, the previous tenant of my current flat seemed to have been defecating in the oven and under the water heater.I used to rent out my own flat, a studio in an old, listed town house - one guy dragged in and disassembled his motorbike in the middle of the room... which still didn't ruin the oak flooring as much as the heels of some lady (who was constantly complaining about the cold and left me with a partly unpaid electricity bill).QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperif you had a black irish lab, you'd be screwed.True dat! :-)Farmer, it's about the main lease agreement of the building. On the other hand, while some landlords may not want to break the rule, the others may use it as an excuse to discriminate against animals.a.
Last edited by katastrofa on July 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

July 23rd, 2012, 9:56 am

I somehow suspect people on wilmott are mostly no-pet people.QuoteI taught them to fetch, sit, barkIsn't barking more a dog thing?BTW, I've never seen a single dog in my neighborhood (central London).

MattF

July 23rd, 2012, 12:16 pm

Isn't it somewhat cruel to keep a cat locked up in a flat permanently for its entire life?

farmer

July 23rd, 2012, 12:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFIsn't it somewhat cruel to keep a cat locked up in a flat permanently for its entire life?Unfortunately, no.

DevonFangs

July 23rd, 2012, 12:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFIsn't it somewhat cruel to keep a cat locked up in a flat permanently for its entire life?Isn't it cruel to make cats play in a musical? And yet they did.

MiloRambaldi

July 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa On the other hand, while some landlords may not want to break the rule, the others may use it as an excuse to discriminate against animals.a.FYI: It's not legal to discriminate here, at least in Toronto I'm not sure about the rest of Canada. They can put no pets in the lease, but it can only be enforced if it can be demonstrated to be a health hazard to other tenants.

Anthis

July 23rd, 2012, 3:11 pm

I trapped a skunk today in my farm. I can mail it as a gift to your landlord, if you wish so, unless you prefer a bag of vipers....

hayes

July 23rd, 2012, 5:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFIsn't it somewhat cruel to keep a cat locked up in a flat permanently for its entire life?It's crueller to let it out:http://wilmott.co.uk/messageview.cfm?ca ... adid=89178
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On