SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa
Topic Author

No country for pet owners

July 23rd, 2012, 9:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsIsn't barking more a dog thing?I freed my cats from the rigid muzzle of species conformity :-)) Seriously, I've never had a cat before - only dogs. When I play with the kittens I whistle and bark at them. They started to mimic me - they sound more like choking, but they try their best.QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFIsn't it somewhat cruel to keep a cat locked up in a flat permanently for its entire life?They walk on a leash sometimes, but they prefer to stay inside. I don't think it's cruel - cats were domesticated 9000 years ago [http://www.sciencemag.org/content/317/5837/519.short] so it's quite natural for them live with humans. Besides, I freak out without animals around me.a.

Cuchulainn

July 23rd, 2012, 10:11 pm

QuoteWhen I play with the kittens I whistle and bark at them.Interesting. Have they caught any rodents for you yet?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reid8966

July 23rd, 2012, 10:41 pm

Part of the problem is that not everyone likes pets, as pets start to get banned in an area it tends to spread like wildfire, maybe some of the landlords feel pressured into the ban due to fear that other tenants would simply choice another place to live. After all I?m sure we have all had our experience of annoying animals, whether it was the neighbour?s dog barking in the early hours of the morning or a different case. The problem is how generally all animals and owners are tarred with the same brush, ?Well Joe?s dog used to make lots of noise, thus by default all dogs must do the same thing.? Personally I have encountered this problem before, but as with most things in life if you perceiver you will probably succeed in finding suitable accommodation.

farmer

July 24th, 2012, 12:31 am

In the places where I have lived, everyone has a dog. More people than wear a watch. In the city, it is pathetic single people, trying to have something that resembles a life. In the suburbs it is family type people who just like doggies. There must be areas near you that have the same kinds of people.Oddest thing I saw not too long ago was the homeless Paris Hilton. I was downtown, walking my dogs in the park. I went up a sidestreet to try to find a spigot to give them some water, and there were all these ratty homeless people eating mush out of styrofoam. The church there was feeding homeless people out the back window.There was a girl rambling about who I cannot describe in any way other than beautiful. She was filthy, and her hair was like blonde straw. She had some high-heeled high-fashion platform shoes like Paris Hilton would wear, except grimy and worn and not really the original color. Like she got them out of a dumpster. And she had some ratty little toy dog. Like Paris Hilton would carry, except with no collar, and shaggy and filthy. She wore skinny jeans like Paris Hilton would wear. She resembled Paris Hilton but prettier.The point being, everybody has a fucking dog, even the homeless Paris Hilton. And everywhere you go there must be places that are full of pet owners.
Last edited by farmer on July 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 24th, 2012, 6:27 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIn the Netherlands we have thisCuchulainn, why Irish farmers, who also keep sheep, don't look for wives?QuoteInteresting. Have they caught any rodents for you yet?They are a very active hunting breed, but unfortunately mice moved out from the flat after they came.QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerAnd everywhere you go there must be places that are full of pet owners.Council estates. They would steal my cats and the problem would solve itself.It turns out that there are three private properties allowing pets in the whole district. I've found a flat in one of them - I will have a spare bedroom but also a nice porter and close to Canary Wharf (a nice diversion from the dirty City for a weekend).a.
Last edited by katastrofa on July 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hayes

July 25th, 2012, 3:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa....close to Canary Wharf (a nice diversion from the dirty City for a weekend).a.Personal preference, but although The Wharf is getting better, it's still a bit sterile and too quiet at the weekends. In the city you're so close to Shoreditch, Brick Lane and everywhere Zone 1 is about 15 - 30 mins away. But I know you pay for that either in prices, size of property or by living up the A10 in deepest, darkest Mile End etc, and it really is personal preference at the end of the day. Everyone I know seems to love one and hate the other.It might already be obvious but just in case it's not. My preference will be for the dirty weekend, every time!!!!

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 26th, 2012, 5:53 am

Oh, these dirty Friday nights in the City! All pubs are stuffed with white 'n black dressed people like cans of sardines. After almost a year in London I've started to develop some taste for beer, but I'm not there yet :-)The City and Canary Wharf seem to be the safer districts? I had some kitten business in Camden last week and decided to do a little sight-seeing. It felt like switching on the Wide Wasteland trait in Fallout. I got to some big market, where I could probably buy all kinds of stuff to eat, drink, smoke or power my plasma caster. The streets were pretty shabby and dirty and next to the Edgeware Road station I was being nagged by 8 guys (it stops being fun when there's more then 2 of them). I saw some ads with flat prices and they were three times higher than in Canary Wharf!a.
Last edited by katastrofa on July 25th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hayes

July 26th, 2012, 1:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaOh, these dirty Friday nights in the City! All pubs are stuffed with white 'n black dressed people like cans of sardines. After almost a year in London I've started to develop some taste for beer, but I'm not there yet :-)The City and Canary Wharf seem to be the safer districts? I had some kitten business in Camden last week and decided to do a little sight-seeing. It felt like switching on the Wide Wasteland trait in Fallout. I got to some big market, where I could probably buy all kinds of stuff to eat, drink, smoke or power my plasma caster. The streets were pretty shabby and dirty and next to the Edgeware Road station I was being nagged by 8 guys (it stops being fun when there's more then 2 of them). I saw some ads with flat prices and they were three times higher than in Canary Wharf!a.I love Camden and always have. The bars, clubs and even the market stalls! The market food is great, there's so much competition that it helps keep the quality high and the cost low. It is a bit grimey but well loved because of it's music/ alternative scene (It's been mentioned a few times on this forum, Cuch is a semi-regular). As the alternative types grew up, some are starting to buy property in the area, (I have a few friends who live there) and it's gradually becoming more gentrified, with the odd designer buggy being pushed around. At night it's a bit intimidating, but all the crazy/ homeless people talk to themselves and ignore the clubbers. There's also always people around which helps make it feel safer too.And it's expensive because there's not much land left to build on. All of the old buildings are listed and split into 20 odd flats, so every building is either generating a lot of income, or is in short supply. Kentish Town next door gets a tiny bit cheaper and there are some lovely roads around there. But yeah, East London is still the cheapest part of London by far, (I live in Walthamstow, just North of Stratford) although I'm sure that will change eventually too. 30 years ago, there were only 4 premier areas in London to live, (Notting Hill was a derelict wasteland). Canary Wharf prices have increased massively. If you bought here in the 80's when the first banks started moving in you'd have had a massive return by now.http://www.stuartking.host22.com/blog/i ... ap.gifVery true about the black and white suits. Although have you been to Abacus on a Thursday night?! There is definitely 2 crowds there, the work crowd, and the ones who travel in, hoping to meet a trader!!

ppauper

July 26th, 2012, 3:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa I had some kitten business in Camden last week picking up pussy ?

trackstar

July 26th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Can't you ever behave nicely? Or maybe you have been off on rooster business somewhere in a dirty city. I think katastrofa might be female and, if so, that would make three of us in the OT now.

Traden4Alpha

July 26th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Now! Now! I'm sure ppauper was only alluding to the many veterinarians in Camden.I'm sure ppauper is gentlemen. He must be because those are the types of clubs he frequents.

katastrofa
Topic Author

August 4th, 2012, 8:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesI love Camden and always have. The bars, clubs and even the market stalls! The market food is great, there's so much competition that it helps keep the quality high and the cost low. It is a bit grimey but well loved because of it's music/ alternative scene (It's been mentioned a few times on this forum, Cuch is a semi-regular). As the alternative types grew up, some are starting to buy property in the area, (I have a few friends who live there) and it's gradually becoming more gentrified, with the odd designer buggy being pushed around. At night it's a bit intimidating, but all the crazy/ homeless people talk to themselves and ignore the clubbers. There's also always people around which helps make it feel safer too.And it's expensive because there's not much land left to build on. All of the old buildings are listed and split into 20 odd flats, so every building is either generating a lot of income, or is in short supply. Kentish Town next door gets a tiny bit cheaper and there are some lovely roads around there. But yeah, East London is still the cheapest part of London by far, (I live in Walthamstow, just North of Stratford) although I'm sure that will change eventually too. 30 years ago, there were only 4 premier areas in London to live, (Notting Hill was a derelict wasteland). Canary Wharf prices have increased massively. If you bought here in the 80's when the first banks started moving in you'd have had a massive return by now.http://www.stuartking.host22.com/blog/i ... ap.gifVery true about the black and white suits. Although have you been to Abacus on a Thursday night?! There is definitely 2 crowds there, the work crowd, and the ones who travel in, hoping to meet a trader!!Good food in London? I will have to go and try it. If you like variety food from stalls, you should definitely visit the Gwangjang Market if you ever go to Seoul - I think part of this place still lives in me...Trackstar, does gender matter in the Internet, where "nobody knows you're a dog"? I am an old male cat, sexual orientation: neutered ;-)a.

trackstar

August 5th, 2012, 11:13 am

Yes, gender matters on the Internet, though it is fun to be androgynous for awhile.Orientation matters less, unless you are an identity/pride activist, or you are attracted to someone and need to know if there is a possibility for you or not. It can be quite time consuming without gratification if you get this wrong. However, the orientation of the object(s) of desire matters less if you are just looking at pictures of Calvin Klein models in their boxers and briefs. Beauty is in the I of the beholder.

tagoma

August 5th, 2012, 11:41 am

QuoteTrackstar, does gender matter in the Internet, where "nobody knows you're a dog"? I am an old male cat, sexual orientation: neutered ;-)you should eat fish much often. when i was a kid i had been saying it contains a lot of good stuff that sharpen brain capacity to take decisions

Ultraviolet

August 19th, 2012, 8:38 pm

My very own account! There are many like this, but this one is mine :-DQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarYes, gender matters on the Internet, though it is fun to be androgynous for awhile.Orientation matters less, unless you are an identity/pride activist, or you are attracted to someone and need to know if there is a possibility for you or not. It can be quite time consuming without gratification if you get this wrong. However, the orientation of the object(s) of desire matters less if you are just looking at pictures of Calvin Klein models in their boxers and briefs. Beauty is in the I of the beholder.I've never felt attracted to pictures of fashion models... but I get strangely affectionate when I look at Picasso's Marie-Therese's or Rodin's Eternal Idol and always want to hug Giacometti's in Tate Modern - I'm not sure if it makes me more or less sophisticated according to nowadays standards :-)QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteTrackstar, does gender matter in the Internet, where "nobody knows you're a dog"? I am an old male cat, sexual orientation: neutered ;-)you should eat fish much often. when i was a kid i had been saying it contains a lot of good stuff that sharpen brain capacity to take decisions My decisions are usually bad so maybe it's better if I stick to my vegetarian diet :-) Apropos fish, once I was invited to some fancy restaurant in Paris. Practically everything on the menu contained meat (mainly higher-developed sea life - is this the secret of the sharp brains of French mathematicians?). When I asked the waiter if they had anything for vegetarians he kind of panicked and disappeared. After a while I saw him standing at the kitchen door talking to a huge guy in a chef's hat. He was pointing at me with his finger and the chef looked really mad - he sent me a hate look! Finally, I had my dinner served: two delicious raw and cooked salads. Before I finished the chef appeared in the kitchen door again and observed me. I showed him the hand gesture that it was delicious, he made a satisfied face and disappeared again. I think he wanted to check if they figured out correctly what "vegetarian" means :-) OK, that was long and boring.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On