Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tags

No country for pet owners

August 19th, 2012, 9:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletMy very own account! There are many like this, but this one is mine :-DQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarYes, gender matters on the Internet, though it is fun to be androgynous for awhile.Orientation matters less, unless you are an identity/pride activist, or you are attracted to someone and need to know if there is a possibility for you or not. It can be quite time consuming without gratification if you get this wrong. However, the orientation of the object(s) of desire matters less if you are just looking at pictures of Calvin Klein models in their boxers and briefs. Beauty is in the I of the beholder.I've never felt attracted to pictures of fashion models... but I get strangely affectionate when I look at Picasso's Marie-Therese's or Rodin's Eternal Idol and always want to hug Giacometti's in Tate Modern - I'm not sure if it makes me more or less sophisticated according to nowadays standards :-)QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteTrackstar, does gender matter in the Internet, where "nobody knows you're a dog"? I am an old male cat, sexual orientation: neutered ;-)you should eat fish much often. when i was a kid i had been saying it contains a lot of good stuff that sharpen brain capacity to take decisions My decisions are usually bad so maybe it's better if I stick to my vegetarian diet :-) Apropos fish, once I was invited to some fancy restaurant in Paris. Practically everything on the menu contained meat (mainly higher-developed sea life - is this the secret of the sharp brains of French mathematicians?). When I asked the waiter if they had anything for vegetarians he kind of panicked and disappeared. After a while I saw him standing at the kitchen door talking to a huge guy in a chef's hat. He was pointing at me with his finger and the chef looked really mad - he sent me a hate look! Finally, I had my dinner served: two delicious raw and cooked salads. Before I finished the chef appeared in the kitchen door again and observed me. I showed him the hand gesture that it was delicious, he made a satisfied face and disappeared again. I think he wanted to check if they figured out correctly what "vegetarian" means :-) OK, that was long and boring.when i eat at the restaurant for business, i always hit the "sole meunière" as it often is one of the most expensive dishes. jejeje do you know what i mean?

trackstar

August 19th, 2012, 10:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardwhen i eat at the restaurant for business, i always hit the "sole meunière" as it often is one of the most expensive dishes. jejeje do you know what i mean?You do realize that this is very bad manners, don't you? Austerity Measures of the 2010s and all that!Whether dining for business or pleasure, it is best to see what the other person is ordering and order for yourself in a similar price band.You also might follow others in terms of courses - if they order an appetizer, you can too, but if they do not, you will delay the flow of the meal by ordering one alone.Dessert is kind of suit yourself, but even then, I tend to follow my companion - sometimes tea or coffee is nice, without an extravagant mile high chocolate mousse beside it. Nevertheless, I know, you are French and you will order the sole meuniere if it so pleases you.The largest filet mignon on the menu too, probably. LOL.
Last edited by trackstar on August 19th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

August 19th, 2012, 10:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardwhen i eat at the restaurant for business, i always hit the "sole meunière" as it often is one of the most expensive dishes. jejeje do you know what i mean?You do realize that this is very bad manners, don't you?Whether dining for business or pleasure, it is best to see what the other person is ordering and order for yourself in a similar price band.You also might follow others in terms of courses - if they order an appetizer, you can too, but if they do not, you will delay the flow of the meal by ordering one alone.Dessert is kind of suit yourself, but even then, I tend to follow my companion - sometimes tea or coffee is nice, without an extravagant mile high chocolate mousse beside it. Nevertheless, I know, you are French and you will order the sole meuniere if it so pleases you.The largest filet mignon on the menu too, probably. LOL.Yes, I know! I was kidding! jejejejejeAnyway, filet mignon dish is a good choice, too.
Last edited by tags on August 19th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

August 19th, 2012, 11:07 pm

On the other hand, if one is the host of the table, then one can set a festive tone whilst the table is perusing the menu by publicly stating that one intends to order an appetizer, one of the nicer dishes, dessert, etc. If one's guests aren't sure if they need to be price conscious, this helps them relax.

trackstar

August 20th, 2012, 2:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaOn the other hand, if one is the host of the table, then one can set a festive tone whilst the table is perusing the menu by publicly stating that one intends to order an appetizer, one of the nicer dishes, dessert, etc. If one's guests aren't sure if they need to be price conscious, this helps them relax.Is someone still living in the 1990s or what?But sure, every now and then you have to party like its 1999!

Traden4Alpha

August 20th, 2012, 11:32 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaOn the other hand, if one is the host of the table, then one can set a festive tone whilst the table is perusing the menu by publicly stating that one intends to order an appetizer, one of the nicer dishes, dessert, etc. If one's guests aren't sure if they need to be price conscious, this helps them relax.Is someone still living in the 1990s or what?But sure, every now and then you have to party like its 1999!Actually, I'm extremely unlikely to order from the upper end of the price spectrum of wine, etc. The bottle that costs 10X the price of the VWAP of the wine menu never tastes 10X as good (or even 2X as a good). That's especially true these days in which wine making is more a science so that a great many midrange vineyards produce a great deal of excellent wine at more modest price points. (If you don't believe me, then look at the studies of wine score vs. wine price and the inability of even the top judges to accurately distinguish the $600 bottle from the $60 bottle) The high-$ bottles are more an example of winner's curse in which a rare vintages have been over bid.On the other hand, the top of the end of the food item price spectrum (which is usually only 1.5X to 2X the VWAP of the food menu) often is something extraordinary. Moreover, the reason to indulge in all the courses at a truly fine restaurant is that such places lend themselves to a much slower pace of eating and socializing. Multiple courses over multiple hours creates a very special and enjoyable occasion.

trackstar

August 20th, 2012, 12:19 pm

That Perrier-Jouet *champagne* costs about $6,500 per bottle.Or $50,000 euros for a twelve bottle boxed set.Perfect for someone's 50th birthday, though this was a limited edition offering a few years ago and they are probably all gone now.

Traden4Alpha

August 20th, 2012, 12:43 pm

No doubt, some wild traders do spend O(0) of their gains on the $XXX to $XXXX bottle of bubbly. But I suspect that a fair fraction of the ultrarich would still eschew the lavish libation because they know they can deploy that cash to far more productive uses.Some people get rich in spite of their profligacy (and are often bankrupt soon after the money stops rolling in) while others become rich due to their frugality (and never suffer for a want of anything because they want so little).

Ultraviolet

August 20th, 2012, 1:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletMy very own account! There are many like this, but this one is mine :-DQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarYes, gender matters on the Internet, though it is fun to be androgynous for awhile.Orientation matters less, unless you are an identity/pride activist, or you are attracted to someone and need to know if there is a possibility for you or not. It can be quite time consuming without gratification if you get this wrong. However, the orientation of the object(s) of desire matters less if you are just looking at pictures of Calvin Klein models in their boxers and briefs. Beauty is in the I of the beholder.I've never felt attracted to pictures of fashion models... but I get strangely affectionate when I look at Picasso's Marie-Therese's or Rodin's Eternal Idol and always want to hug Giacometti's in Tate Modern - I'm not sure if it makes me more or less sophisticated according to nowadays standards :-)QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteTrackstar, does gender matter in the Internet, where "nobody knows you're a dog"? I am an old male cat, sexual orientation: neutered ;-)you should eat fish much often. when i was a kid i had been saying it contains a lot of good stuff that sharpen brain capacity to take decisions My decisions are usually bad so maybe it's better if I stick to my vegetarian diet :-) Apropos fish, once I was invited to some fancy restaurant in Paris. Practically everything on the menu contained meat (mainly higher-developed sea life - is this the secret of the sharp brains of French mathematicians?). When I asked the waiter if they had anything for vegetarians he kind of panicked and disappeared. After a while I saw him standing at the kitchen door talking to a huge guy in a chef's hat. He was pointing at me with his finger and the chef looked really mad - he sent me a hate look! Finally, I had my dinner served: two delicious raw and cooked salads. Before I finished the chef appeared in the kitchen door again and observed me. I showed him the hand gesture that it was delicious, he made a satisfied face and disappeared again. I think he wanted to check if they figured out correctly what "vegetarian" means :-) OK, that was long and boring.when i eat at the restaurant for business, i always hit the "sole meunière" as it often is one of the most expensive dishes. jejeje do you know what i mean?Pfft... "sole meunière"? What about laying on a private beach of the Sheraton hotel in Rio or touring around Japan? :-)

ppauper

February 22nd, 2016, 12:14 pm

cuch's alpaca is NOT a service animal

Cuchulainn

February 22nd, 2016, 6:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupercuch's alpaca is NOT a service animalMore Dutch people leaving big city life behind
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 21st, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

February 22nd, 2016, 6:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupercuch's alpaca is NOT a service animalMore Dutch people leaving big city life behind is that where cuch stables his alpaca?

Cuchulainn

February 22nd, 2016, 6:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupercuch's alpaca is NOT a service animalMore Dutch people leaving big city life behind is that where cuch stables his alpaca?Why, where do you keep yours?

ppauper

February 22nd, 2016, 8:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupercuch's alpaca is NOT a service animalMore Dutch people leaving big city life behind is that where cuch stables his alpaca?Why, where do you keep yours?just curious, and as for myself, I don't have (and have never had) an alpacaand as to the pic cuch posted, google translate tells me that "boerderij" means "ranch" so "Alpacaboerderij" translates to "alpaca ranch"