SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa
Topic Author

Venture capitalists say Romney is not one of us

July 22nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/ ... HV20120720 Such PR must really suck for a Republican presidential candidate. It's as if the Occupy Wall Street movement said about Chomsky "who is this guy, we don't know him".

farmer

July 22nd, 2012, 2:15 pm

From the article:QuoteThe Republican White House hopeful was head of Bain Capital LLC, which does the bulk of its work in private equity and not venture capital, the NVCA would clarify. Venture capital backs companies from their earliest days, and some go on to create thousands of jobs; private equity typically comes in at later stagesIt is probably also true that Chomsky does not crap on the sidewalk in lower Manhattan.

trackstar

July 22nd, 2012, 2:38 pm

In Europe, it is more common to refer to "private equity" in general, meaning either M&A/LBO and VC firms lumped together.In the US, the professional distinction between the two is better defined, at least for the people in the business.But for the man on the street (and some recalcitrant entrepreneurs), they are all vulture capitalists.
Last edited by trackstar on July 21st, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

July 22nd, 2012, 3:00 pm

Further commentary called up on Mitt Romney Will Be the GI do wish some of you had taken up my initial bet in January '12 - I would have given you 20-1 on it.

quantmeh

July 22nd, 2012, 3:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerIt is probably also true that Chomsky does not crap on the sidewalk in lower Manhattan.how do you know?

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 22nd, 2012, 7:29 pm

At least now Romney has managed to suck up to Murdoch and the old guy likes him again.

trackstar

July 22nd, 2012, 9:26 pm

Perhaps this is more substantive commentary on that issue:Journal Critique of Romney Shows Doubts at Conservative Core - New York Times July 5Of course, with Murdoch at the helm, do we even really bother with the WSJ anymore?

ppauper

July 23rd, 2012, 5:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIn Europe, it is more common to refer to "private equity" in general, meaning either M&A/LBO and VC firms lumped together.In the US, the professional distinction between the two is better defined, at least for the people in the business.But for the man on the street (and some recalcitrant entrepreneurs), they are all vulture capitalists.I seem to remember that way back when I took the CFA program, one of the background readings was titled something along the lines of "venture capital or vulture capitalists"I'd separate mezzanine financing out from private equity as well
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On