SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 8:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnRIP 'Zwartje' (our cat) who was run over by a car last night.Codex Karlsen says I.P. You will be introduced to Codex Karlsen in good time!I can't make head nor tail of this one! is it like a n.o.p.?I thought it was just me...BTW who is Kim Peek?

trackstar

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 9:12 am

An American mega-savant. He passed away a few years ago.**You can find a nice picture of a Codex if you google "da Vinci codex Atlanticus".It is also a good name for a well-read protagonist. I guess we will find out.Bill Gates bought da Vinci's Codex Leicester at auction in the mid 1990s.I have a full set of the encyclopedia Britannica here from the 1880s. Wish I had a climate controlled room for it!
Last edited by trackstar on November 4th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 9:16 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnRIP 'Zwartje' (our cat) who was run over by a car last night.Codex Karlsen says I.P. You will be introduced to Codex Karlsen in good time!I can't make head nor tail of this one! is it like a n.o.p.?I thought it was just me...I suspect you will find s. n.o.p and Codex K. at the same time, at the very moment the coin comes down on the edge, then you will see it all....in good time.
Last edited by Collector on November 4th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 9:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarAn American mega-savant. He passed away a few years ago.**You can find a nice picture of a Codex if you google "da Vinci codex Atlanticus".It is also a good name for a well-read protagonist. I guess we will find out.Bill Gates bought da Vinci's Codex Leicester at auction in the mid 1990s.I have a full set of the encyclopedia Britannica here from the 1880s. Wish I had a climate controlled room for it!Ah, I thought I was missing something

Collector

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 9:26 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnRIP 'Zwartje' (our cat) who was run over by a car last night.Codex Karlsen says I.P. You will be introduced to Codex Karlsen in good time!I can't make head nor tail of this one! is it like a n.o.p.?I thought it was just me...BTW who is Kim Peek?A bit late, I.P. Kim Peek
Last edited by Collector on November 4th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 9:30 am

He was the inspiration for Rain Man, but they characterized his uniqueness as autism.Back to sleep now - one of the cats woke me up by trying to lie on my pillow.
Last edited by trackstar on November 4th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 9:56 am

C, QuoteI can't make head nor tail of this one! Because it is information from the edge of the coin! (and not any coin)Over and over I told one not should exclude the very low (Well conditional is more correct. Find, or at least look careful for hidden conditions before you place your "bet" Sir!) probability of falling on the edge, or even coming silver spoon up. As long as you do not mix Codex Bobiensis (k) with Codex K. you are doing fine at this (early) point in time. Codex Bobiensis (k) My favorite book (thesis) on coins isDe Nummis quibusdam ex chymico metallo factis. In these modern times even in electronic format, I prefer to read it on paper, it is in mega bookshelf. The version where it is just a chapter of that very thick book is likely the best version. A small side step, paper quality in books form 1500 to 1600 often superior to quality in todays books...(but yes there could also be a survival ship bias here). Below a treasure from 1688 (don't ask about the author, it was quite common for books to be written under pseudonyms or even as anonymous back then, at least if you had something clever to say (Persecution of Heretics (by Heretics) was common back then...):

Cuchulainn

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 11:53 am

Missed that oneRIP Jack Bruce

daveangel

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 11:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnMissed that oneRIP Jack BruceRIP JB
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Traden4Alpha

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 12:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorC, QuoteI can't make head nor tail of this one! Because it is information from the edge of the coin! (and not any coin)Over and over I told one not should exclude the very low (Well conditional is more correct. Find, or at least look careful for hidden conditions before you place your "bet" Sir!) probability of falling on the edge, or even coming silver spoon up. As long as you do not mix Codex Bobiensis (k) with Codex K. you are doing fine at this (early) point in time. Codex Bobiensis (k) Indeed! The price dynamics are a function of the rules but the rules are a function of the price dynamics. How should one play the game when the rules of the game state that one can change the rules of the game.

Cuchulainn

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 12:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorC, QuoteI can't make head nor tail of this one! Because it is information from the edge of the coin! (and not any coin)Over and over I told one not should exclude the very low (Well conditional is more correct. Find, or at least look careful for hidden conditions before you place your "bet" Sir!) probability of falling on the edge, or even coming silver spoon up. As long as you do not mix Codex Bobiensis (k) with Codex K. you are doing fine at this (early) point in time. Codex Bobiensis (k) My favorite book (thesis) on coins isDe Nummis quibusdam ex chymico metallo factis. In these modern times even in electronic format, I prefer to read it on paper, it is in mega bookshelf. The version where it is just a chapter of that very thick book is likely the best version. A small side step, paper quality in books form 1500 to 1600 often superior to quality in todays books...(but yes there could also be a survival ship bias here). Below a treasure from 1688 (don't ask about the author, it was quite common for books to be written under pseudonyms or even as anonymous back then, at least if you had something clever to say (Persecution of Heretics (by Heretics) was common back then...): What's this chain of konscious reasoning leading to? Do you have some evil plan? Aka why? what's the rationale?

Collector

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 1:00 pm

"What's this chain of konscious reasoning leading to? "I just try to understand the world around me, and reading ancient books is part of it. The book in photo below is in Latin, working slowly on translating it into English (well not me, someone at the university that knows Latin), but will take some time. I have not seen this book before, got it from an auction. "leading to? "Only time can tell I guess.

Collector

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 1:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorC, QuoteI can't make head nor tail of this one! Because it is information from the edge of the coin! (and not any coin)Over and over I told one not should exclude the very low (Well conditional is more correct. Find, or at least look careful for hidden conditions before you place your "bet" Sir!) probability of falling on the edge, or even coming silver spoon up. As long as you do not mix Codex Bobiensis (k) with Codex K. you are doing fine at this (early) point in time. Codex Bobiensis (k) Indeed! The price dynamics are a function of the rules but the rules are a function of the price dynamics. How should one play the game when the rules of the game state that one can change the rules of the game.Yes this point I think has got too little attention in modelling (and possibly understood too well by lawyers) (Sorry a bit off topic from this thread, but this is OT forum, so forgive me.).

daveangel

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorC, QuoteI can't make head nor tail of this one! Because it is information from the edge of the coin! (and not any coin)Over and over I told one not should exclude the very low (Well conditional is more correct. Find, or at least look careful for hidden conditions before you place your "bet" Sir!) probability of falling on the edge, or even coming silver spoon up. As long as you do not mix Codex Bobiensis (k) with Codex K. you are doing fine at this (early) point in time. Codex Bobiensis (k) Indeed! The price dynamics are a function of the rules but the rules are a function of the price dynamics. How should one play the game when the rules of the game state that one can change the rules of the game.Yes this point I think has got too little attention in modelling (and possibly understood too well by lawyers) (Sorry a bit off topic from this thread, but this is OT forum, so forgive me.).It's one thing to post on the Codex in the RIP thread but if you must please could you make your post more cogent and less tangential ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Traden4Alpha

RIP

November 5th, 2014, 1:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorC, QuoteI can't make head nor tail of this one! Because it is information from the edge of the coin! (and not any coin)Over and over I told one not should exclude the very low (Well conditional is more correct. Find, or at least look careful for hidden conditions before you place your "bet" Sir!) probability of falling on the edge, or even coming silver spoon up. As long as you do not mix Codex Bobiensis (k) with Codex K. you are doing fine at this (early) point in time. Codex Bobiensis (k) Indeed! The price dynamics are a function of the rules but the rules are a function of the price dynamics. How should one play the game when the rules of the game state that one can change the rules of the game.Yes this point I think has got too little attention in modelling (and possibly understood too well by lawyers) (Sorry a bit off topic from this thread, but this is OT forum, so forgive me.).It's one thing to post on the Codex in the RIP thread but if you must please could you make your post more cogent and less tangential ?RIP fixed rulesRIP fixed probabilities & models of price dynamics
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On