SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tagoma
Topic Author

Do men still prefer blonde women?

August 21st, 2012, 10:11 pm

Until the 90s, people used to comment that men here 'prefer' blondes, here in France I mean. But, the myth of the sexy blond seems to have vanished since then....
Last edited by tagoma on August 21st, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusMan

August 21st, 2012, 10:52 pm

It has been replaced by mixed-race women. They are far more interesting.I used to do fashion photography, and I noticed this change about 2000. And, by the way, there were not that many before that. Before that, here in the states, it was nothing but: blonde, brunette, redhead (might be evil), asian, black, Native American, Latin. But, now there are dozens of mixes.People began to prefer models such as this one (on the right), who I am sure you will agree has a very unique look, but what "race" is she?. Sarah
Last edited by CactusMan on August 21st, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExSan

August 22nd, 2012, 12:32 am

There are extremely beautiful women that not necessarily are blonde in Europe and else where ps. @edourad> thanks for all your kindness

hayes

August 22nd, 2012, 8:32 am

Isn't blonde hair and blue eyes a genetic trait that's slowly disappearing? I could be wrong, but I read someone once that 4000 years ago, most european's were fair haired and skinned.Not sure if that has any part to play in men's tastes or not. It's like saying men prefer skinny women- Actually that's a very western, (and recent) fashion. The rest (most) of the world, and indeed Europe until relatively recently, tend to prefer veluptous women with wide child bearing hips and amble bossums.

Anthis

August 22nd, 2012, 9:37 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI think it's best to not overendulge in one specific type. A diversified harem gives a much better balances life.I concure outrun's words of wisdom...

CrashedMint

August 22nd, 2012, 9:41 am

Why did people prefer blondes? Maybe because some fashion editor just happened to like blondes, did photo strips according to that taste and thereby anchored the image of blonde=desirable? Maybe like Santa Claus and Christmas spices? Or is there a biological reason? Or some correlation, i.e. that Blonde women tend to come from places were facial features are closer to some biologically hardcoded pattern that is seen as desirable, thus Blonde in itself is meaningless but serves as a cue?

Anthis

August 22nd, 2012, 10:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintWhy did people prefer blondes? Maybe because some fashion editor just happened to like blondes, did photo strips according to that taste and thereby anchored the image of blonde=desirable? Maybe like Santa Claus and Christmas spices? Or is there a biological reason? Or some correlation, i.e. that Blonde women tend to come from places were facial features are closer to some biologically hardcoded pattern that is seen as desirable, thus Blonde in itself is meaningless but serves as a cue?Natural or bleached blonde?Hair dyes have blown up centuries of biology research...

rmax

August 22nd, 2012, 10:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintWhy did people prefer blondes? Maybe because some fashion editor just happened to like blondes, did photo strips according to that taste and thereby anchored the image of blonde=desirable? Maybe like Santa Claus and Christmas spices? Or is there a biological reason? Or some correlation, i.e. that Blonde women tend to come from places were facial features are closer to some biologically hardcoded pattern that is seen as desirable, thus Blonde in itself is meaningless but serves as a cue?I thought there was more oestrogen and hence that gives rise to Blonde hair. it is the same reason why boys are fair haired when they are younger.Also another data point for consideration is that during recession "pin-ups" tend to be more independent women, than in times of prosperity.

Gamal

August 22nd, 2012, 11:10 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintWhy did people prefer blondes?The complete answer consists of one word: racism. I know, it's officially condemned but you still live within values created by your ancestors. And in the XIX century the northern par of Europe was quite ugly chauvinist.

zerdna

August 22nd, 2012, 1:00 pm

Some questions are interesting not because they are interesting questions, but because they are Rorscharch test -- comments on some shadow of a non existing notion reveal information about the person making comments not about the shadow notion. No one showed any evidence that blondes are preferred type or were at some point, but there are various explanations of phenomenon that is not certain to exist. Interestingly, no one actually answered the question -- if they like blondes more, everyone just put forward a theory why other people allegedly do. It's like the joke about sex between two PhDs in behavioral psychology. After sex one says, 'You had fun. Did I?" The prize of course goes to Gamal -- it's common to be in a situation that you are called a racist when you disagree with a liberal. It's first time i hear that if you like blondes more, you are a racist. You do learn a thing or two about people on this forum. Careful, racist picture below....

farmer

August 22nd, 2012, 1:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaNo one showed any evidence that blondes are preferred type or were at some pointFor people who are interested in what other people think, and associate accuracy with consensus, I think there was a consensus in the United States in the 1970's, and also in Hollywood in the 1940's, that blondes are preferable.

Traden4Alpha

August 22nd, 2012, 1:14 pm

Excellent, Zerdna! The observation reveals more about the observer than the observed.

Powerpuff

August 22nd, 2012, 1:32 pm

Gamal

August 22nd, 2012, 2:01 pm

Your comment zerdna can be characterized by one world too: manipulation. Edouard stated in his first post an obvious fact - blondies were promoted as an ideal of female beauty for quite a long time. Not true? Look at all the winners of Miss World or Miss Universe competition. Blondies are around 2% of world population (yes, that little), fraction amoung winners is much higher.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On