SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

Short unexpected trip to London

September 14th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I'm having a weekend guest at my place in London - he surprised me with accepting my invitation on a very short notice so I had no chance to plan anything in advance (at least I managed to book a table in my fav restaurant!). I would like to show him the best and the veriest of London during the next few days. Where could I take him?He's a young Polish army officer (some kind of special forces - I will try to find out a bit more about it ;-) I'm afraid my personal weekend program (hugging my cats, n-th visit to Tate Modern, stuffing myself till sick with sweets at local markets, jogging along the river or hovering around Canary Wharf ended by falling asleep over a sci-fi movie) is not his thing. Evenings are easiest - some pub or club crawling, but what to do during the day? Kew Gardens? Greenwich?

EscapeArtist999

September 14th, 2012, 2:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletI'm having a weekend guest at my place in London - he surprised me with accepting my invitation on a very short notice so I had no chance to plan anything in advance (at least I managed to book a table in my fav restaurant!). I would like to show him the best and the veriest of London during the next few days. Where could I take him?He's a young Polish army officer (some kind of special forces - I will try to find out a bit more about it ;-) I'm afraid my personal weekend program (hugging my cats, n-th visit to Tate Modern, stuffing myself till sick with sweets at local markets, jogging along the river or hovering around Canary Wharf ended by falling asleep over a sci-fi movie) is not his thing. Evenings are easiest - some pub or club crawling, but what to do during the day? Kew Gardens? Greenwich?Hy not go to the Churchill War Rooms? Gordon's Winebar is very good. Also you could try out going to Brick Lane on Sunday or Burrough market...

farmer

September 14th, 2012, 2:07 pm

If you don't know what part of London he is coming to see, it may be because he is not coming to see London.

daveangel

September 14th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Kew Gardens, Richmond Park, Hyde Park (and Kensington Gardens - go to Speakers Corner on Sunday afternoon). If you want somewhere really nice around Richmond, there is a wonderful cafe called Petersham Nurseries (its actually in a garden centre) and if the weather is nice you couldn't ask for anything better.Pubs are great - go to some nice Gastropub somewhere - there are too many. I think there is a lovely one around your neck of the woods but I forget the name (its not the Ramsey place).Markets - Portobello (touristy), Spitalfields, Columbia RoadHigh tea somewhere - the Wolseley I hear is goodTourist sites - Buckingham Palace, St James's Park, walk around Chelsea and the King's Road
Last edited by daveangel on September 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Cuchulainn

September 14th, 2012, 2:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI once went nearly blind from Polish Wodka (a gift from a student), and I used the bottle to occasionaly torture drunk friends that crashed my place. So I would advice you to stay clear of anything involving that.It was probably 'treated' diesel (taks avoid). Was it a chemistry student?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

September 14th, 2012, 2:21 pm

QuoteSpitalfields, What about the Jack the Ripper Tour? Brick Lane, but not late. And nearby Petticoat Lane market.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

September 14th, 2012, 2:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI once went nearly blind from Polish Wodka (a gift from a student), and I used the bottle to occasionaly torture drunk friends that crashed my place. So I would advice you to stay clear of anything involving that.It was probably 'treated' diesel (taks avoid). Was it a chemistry student?I still feel bad thinking about it, I'd rather drink champoo next time. It was a very friendly and polite eastern European quant girl (from Twente university), and it was definately local brew, which I thought was great.Did she have good equipment?

farmer

September 14th, 2012, 2:53 pm

A quick dip in the local pool, followed by a stop at the local chess club, will help you to determine within two hours of his arrival if he is going to get lucky. If he is, then don't worry about the gardens. If he is not, then don't waste his time and money, and just send him straight back to Poland. If he is marginal, then don't mind the gardens and head straight for the liquor store. Or if he is very marginal, then why waste time finding out if he is also violent.

Polter

September 14th, 2012, 3:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI once went nearly blind from Polish Wodka (a gift from a student), and I used the bottle to occasionaly torture drunk friends that crashed my place. So I would advice you to stay clear of anything involving that.It was probably 'treated' diesel (taks avoid). Was it a chemistry student?I still feel bad thinking about it, I'd rather drink champoo next time. It was a very friendly and polite eastern European quant girl (from Twente university), and it was definately local brew, which I thought was great.Did she have good equipment?

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

September 14th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Many thanks for all the suggestions! Churchill War Rooms sound great and how could I not think about Hyde Park or Buckingham Palace!outrun, I'm half-Polish (and the other half is only worse in this regard...) so I am genetically immune to any undesired effects of strong alcohols :-) BTW, you probably know that the best way to prevent methanol poisoning is drinking ethanol, the more of it the better - it competes with methanol in binding to alcohol dehydrogenase and hence less formaldehyde is being produced at a time - you are able to metabolise it without getting poisoned/going blind.My physical chemistry Professor in the college told us a funny communist time story about how he and his colleagues (young chemistry researchers) attempted to make moonshine out of beetroot starch. They opened the container after a few days for a ceremonial tasting, one of them tried it and moaned with a great disappointment: "damn it! borscht!". (They were too impatient to give it a chance to ferment and distil.)
Last edited by Ultraviolet on September 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

September 14th, 2012, 4:07 pm

1/ Pick Polish officer up from airport in hired limosine2/ Take him back to your place to dump belongings3/ Take train to St Paul's, Blackfriars station4/ Walk across 2k bridge to Tate Modern point out Belfast (if military will be midly interested) and Tower Bridge 5/ Drink some wodka at Tate Modern, walkdown to look at Tower of London if so inclined6/ TAB along south bank (call it a TAB and he will laugh)7/ Have lunch on South Bank8/ Walk across Westminster Bridge, past Westminster9/ Visit Trafalgar Square10/ Mall11/ Buck Palace12/ Hail cab and home13/ Take champagne out of fridge and the wodka out of the freezer14/ repeat

hayes

September 14th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Definitely all good choices and unfortunately BP obligatory if it's someone who's never been to London before.But the good news is BP and the war rooms are close, as is the river, so it should be a nice walk around.Also, I fully back EA999's recommendation of Gordon's Wine Bar!!! It unfortunately has become London's worst-kept secret in the last 10 years, but they've still kept all of the charm and "rustic" feel of a dark, damp cellar. It's summer time, so you won't have to worry about the buckets of rainwater.......http://www.gordonswinebar.com/default.php
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On