SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Anthis

Short unexpected trip to London

September 15th, 2012, 8:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: rmax1/ Pick Polish officer up from airport in hired limosine2/ Take him back to your place to dump belongings3/ Take train to St Paul's, Blackfriars station4/ Walk across 2k bridge to Tate Modern point out Belfast (if military will be midly interested) and Tower Bridge 5/ Drink some wodka at Tate Modern, walkdown to look at Tower of London if so inclined6/ TAB along south bank (call it a TAB and he will laugh)7/ Have lunch on South Bank8/ Walk across Westminster Bridge, past Westminster9/ Visit Trafalgar Square10/ Mall11/ Buck Palace12/ Hail cab and home13/ Take champagne out of fridge and the wodka out of the freezer14/ repeatThe list is incomplete without Essex girls.At least, someone who says what has to be said! Depending on his sexual orientation, practices and habits some Londoners here will complete the program for the week-endperhaps Ultraviolet is female and that is the point of the visit ?Yes she is, but exposing the guy to the culture shock of Essex girls, will help him appreciate much more the charms of Polish girls.

dd3

September 16th, 2012, 1:02 am

Not one mention of The Swan, Stockwell?

rmax

September 17th, 2012, 9:35 am

So what did you do, and how did it go?

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

September 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm

It was a great weekend! On Sunday we had a long walk - from Canary Wharf along the northern bank with Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Saint Paul's Cathedral on our way, then through some historic parts of the City (or should I say the parts about whose history I can say more than nothing) and West End, to Trafalgar Square, St. Jamese's Park and Green Park, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey and Hyde Park (thanks Trackstar, we saw people learning horseback riding and it looked really fun, but it would be impossible to make it all in one day! Instead, we took a rest lying on the grass and enjoying the view of some guys learning rollerskating - the seat of mockers >;-D ). I was interested in some technical aspects of his job, and every time he was telling me about them he raised his voice, flattened the intonation and recited the answer as if he knew it by heart - I hope those weren't any national secrets as probably half of the Hyde Park could hear him... Then we moved to the southern bank, where we ate something at the Real Food Market (I can recommend their traditional cider and the cheesecakes are poetry! they also have very good coffee with grappa in a cafe opposite to the Royal Hall entrance - probably the reason why I always mistake seats) before closing the loop - with the Millennium Bridge (he hasn't seen Harry Potter!), Tate Modern (we stepped in to see Picassos, but we had to leave quickly after I told him how I nicknamed the Marie-Therese portraits and we both started to laugh uncontrollably) and HMS Belfast on our way.When we came back home he fiddled with his watch and announced with a terrified face that we made 26 km (excluding the walk in Hyde Park) - so much about his tough military training ;-) I fed him and dragged him half-dead to the pub, where he discovered regenerating properties of some unpasteurised English beer (he remembered what brand of beer we had on our previous meeting years ago! - men...). It was amusing when they rang the bar closing bell and he rose suddenly to salute (?) :-)) BTW, he's a captain (the rank hierarchy in the Polish army is a bit different than in the US). When we came back home he took a shower - in literally 5 minutes. He jumped out from the bathroom all fresh and clean (from what I've noticed he managed to take a shower, wash his hair, brush his teeth and even shave!). Apparently, they have only 2.5 min for the evening hygiene in the army. OK, enough making fun of my friend... I had a more relaxing trip to Richmond Park planned for Sunday morning, but we were too tired. He liked London. And I finally saw the Buckingham Palace!Thanks a lot for your help!
Last edited by Ultraviolet on September 16th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

September 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunLol, sounds like you two had good fun.I was just thinking, isn't Poland land-locked??Its northern border is the Baltic Sea - a small sea, which occasionally (counting in thousands of years) turns into a lake.
Last edited by Ultraviolet on September 16th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

September 17th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Yes, he's the captain of land forces :-)BTW, thousands of years, not millions (@the Baltic Sea).

trackstar

September 17th, 2012, 4:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletIt was a great weekend! On Sunday we had a long walk - from Canary Wharf along the northern bank with Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Saint Paul's Cathedral on our way, then through some historic parts of the City (or should I say the parts about whose history I can say more than nothing) and West End, to Trafalgar Square, St. Jamese's Park and Green Park, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey and Hyde Park (thanks Trackstar, we saw people learning horseback riding and it looked really fun, but it would be impossible to make it all in one day! Instead, we took a rest lying on the grass and enjoying the view of some guys learning rollerskating - the seat of mockers >;-D ). I was interested in some technical aspects of his job, and every time he was telling me about them he raised his voice, flattened the intonation and recited the answer as if he knew it by heart - I hope those weren't any national secrets as probably half of the Hyde Park could hear him... Then we moved to the southern bank, where we ate something at the Real Food Market (I can recommend their traditional cider and the cheesecakes are poetry! they also have very good coffee with grappa in a cafe opposite to the Royal Hall entrance - probably the reason why I always mistake seats) before closing the loop - with the Millennium Bridge (he hasn't seen Harry Potter!), Tate Modern (we stepped in to see Picassos, but we had to leave quickly after I told him how I nicknamed the Marie-Therese portraits and we both started to laugh uncontrollably) and HMS Belfast on our way.When we came back home he fiddled with his watch and announced with a terrified face that we made 26 km (excluding the walk in Hyde Park) - so much about his tough military training ;-) I fed him and dragged him half-dead to the pub, where he discovered regenerating properties of some unpasteurised English beer (he remembered what brand of beer we had on our previous meeting years ago! - men...). It was amusing when they rang the bar closing bell and he rose suddenly to salute (?) :-)) BTW, he's a captain (the rank hierarchy in the Polish army is a bit different than in the US). When we came back home he took a shower - in literally 5 minutes. He jumped out from the bathroom all fresh and clean (from what I've noticed he managed to take a shower, wash his hair, brush his teeth and even shave!). Apparently, they have only 2.5 min for the evening hygiene in the army. OK, enough making fun of my friend... I had a more relaxing trip to Richmond Park planned for Sunday morning, but we were too tired. He liked London. And I finally saw the Buckingham Palace!Thanks a lot for your help!You are welcome!So, do you think he will be back soon?

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

September 17th, 2012, 8:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarSo, do you think he will be back soon? No, I don't want to be a reacher again :-)

trackstar

September 17th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Is a "reacher" someone in a long distance relationship?

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

September 17th, 2012, 8:12 pm

It's someone in a relationship with a settler.

trackstar

September 17th, 2012, 8:15 pm

LOL.And a "settler" is someone who wants to settle down? Long term relationship or marriage?

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

September 17th, 2012, 8:17 pm

No no no! settler - reacher
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On