Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

GiusCo
Topic Author

My Dot-Coms Anniversaries project on IndieGoGo until 10 Nov

September 21st, 2012, 10:02 am

Ok let's say that we're smart enough to play with the web 2.0 and try some business/venture out there.It's late 2012, the general public must buy your thing, whatever it is, and we do not really need money to start-up but exposure.Therefore, KickStarter or IndieGoGo are the places to go. KickStarter is for US residents only, IndieGoGo is planetary.That said, I've put one simple concept on IndieGoGo until 10 Nov and would be happy to get some feedback from you finance moguls. I have my ideas about the shape and the potential profitability of this dog, but you are the king here. That's the link: Dot-Coms Anniversaries project on IndieGoGo until 10 Nov 2012Thanks in advance and ad maiora. Giuseppe

CrashedMint

September 21st, 2012, 10:58 am

I think this is an excellent idea. I've noticed that, for some reason I don't understand, almost no technology blogs cover Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple and Facebook, yet these are big players. So your idea toQuote....set up and launch the interconnected tech coverage websites dedicated to Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple and Facebook.is excellent. I am afraid however that others might steal it. Then again it's an enormous task to launch such websites, evidenced by your schedule: I like it how you plan to put new content on your blogs every four weeks. I also like that this content will be original and edited by you:QuoteAt this stage, it is planned that each website in the platform will be updated monthly with original content from Giuseppe Cornacchia. I am especially looking forward to your milestone reports:QuoteMilestones will be 2020 (Amazon 25th Anniversary), 2022 (Google 25th), 2025 (Microsoft 50th), 2026 (Apple 50th) and 2029 (Facebook 25th).So long story short I definitely pitch in, probably $250, and I'm very looking forward to my yearly .pdf reports and the special issue on Amazon I'll receive in 8 years time. Quote$250 - You will be credited as "early enthusiast", get the yearly .pdf report until 2029 and the special issue dedicated to Amazon in 2020.
Last edited by CrashedMint on September 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GiusCo
Topic Author

September 21st, 2012, 12:14 pm

Thanks a lot, CrashedMint. Much appreciated. Giuseppe

CrashedMint

September 21st, 2012, 9:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GiusCoThanks a lot, CrashedMint. Much appreciated. GiuseppeSo, can you provide additional info on the project? Will the yearly pdf reports also come printed or is this online only?
Last edited by CrashedMint on September 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GiusCo
Topic Author

September 22nd, 2012, 8:14 am

I do not think that a public subscription model (selling the news / reports monthly or at the end of the year) would work in the first-second year of activity. As for the format, .pdf files can be made less prone to piracy but you can't beat them, as every publisher knows. Printed copies could be made for the end-of-year report by using lulu.com or a similar print-on-demand service. The platform should start as analysts but build on the "anniversaries" intrigue (I've just registered a few more domains to preserve the catch) while approaching the milestones and hopefully make good money from say 2016-7. Therefore first task is to make a pleasant, agile platform and then put content monthly. One advantage is that I registered all the relevant domains (amazon2020.com / .net, google2022.com / .net and so on), so competitors can steal the idea but not the precious boxes.Apple has plenty of fan-sites around the world (macrumors is the best among them). Setting up something similar for Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Facebook could be one way, but if the general public is not interested then the platform is dead and you can't sell anything. I would avoid ads, they are very annoying and not worth the trouble. In addition, I would really avoid squattering and legal issues: if some business arises, it will be original and not because of the amazon/google/microsoft/apple/facebook domains.

CrashedMint

September 22nd, 2012, 12:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GiusCoI do not think that a public subscription model (selling the news / reports monthly or at the end of the year) would work in the first-second year of activity. As for the format, .pdf files can be made less prone to piracy but you can't beat them, as every publisher knows. Printed copies could be made for the end-of-year report by using lulu.com or a similar print-on-demand service. The platform should start as analysts but build on the "anniversaries" intrigue (I've just registered a few more domains to preserve the catch) while approaching the milestones and hopefully make good money from say 2016-7. Therefore first task is to make a pleasant, agile platform and then put content monthly. One advantage is that I registered all the relevant domains (amazon2020.com / .net, google2022.com / .net and so on), so competitors can steal the idea but not the precious boxes.Apple has plenty of fan-sites around the world (macrumors is the best among them). Setting up something similar for Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Facebook could be one way, but if the general public is not interested then the platform is dead and you can't sell anything. I would avoid ads, they are very annoying and not worth the trouble. In addition, I would really avoid squattering and legal issues: if some business arises, it will be original and not because of the amazon/google/microsoft/apple/facebook domains.How will you react in the unlikely scenario that in the time between now and 2029 a new player enters the market?How is your analysis worth a premium? Why would people want to read Giuseppe's analysis as opposed to WSJ's, Pogue's, Gruber's etc. If they just wanted a summary why would the go to DotCom Anniversaries and not Wikipedia?

GiusCo
Topic Author

September 22nd, 2012, 1:24 pm

I can't beat the corporate and the B2B services, then I am going to target the general public. I would not write here, in a public forum, the format of the monthly report because, yes, that could be stolen easily by competitors. I need to put one issue out and let the product reveal itself. Let's talk about this at the end of Jan 2013, ok?I've gotten a bid for equity already, but the sums are so small and plenty of time ahead... I'm not prepared to discuss before putting out something solid. The maturity of this dog is 2020-to-2026 (I'm not sure Facebook will be around in 2029), the first milestone is 2020. I've a proper set of tools on my own and a valuable set of boxes / webdomains to fill.
Last edited by GiusCo on September 21st, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint

September 22nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GiusCoI can't beat the corporate and the B2B services, then I am going to target the general public. I would not write here, in a public forum, the format of the monthly report because, yes, that could be stolen easily by competitors. I need to put one issue out and let the product reveal itself. Let's talk about this at the end of Jan 2013, ok?I've gotten a bid for equity already, but the sums are so small and plenty of time ahead... I'm not prepared to discuss before putting out something solid. The maturity of this dog is 2020-to-2026 (I'm not sure Facebook will be around in 2029), the first milestone is 2020. I've a proper set of tools on my own and a valuable set of boxes / webdomains to fill.Ok, got it. So pretty much your reports between 2020 to 2026 will be the most important?

GiusCo
Topic Author

September 22nd, 2012, 2:45 pm

2020-2026 will be hopefully fireworks time, but the venture is going to be operative (and looking for money) from the beginning. The first monthly report, at the end of Jan 2013, will be free in order to show the product and hopefully gain followers. The goal for 2013 is to aggregate a single community from those 5 DotComs enormous fish ponds by using the reports, the "anniversaries" intrigue, the possible interconnections, the web 2.0 format and so on. My goal at the moment is to get $2000 from IndieGoGo and make some noise before launch. I have chosen a fixed-funding campaign: if the target is not reached, backers will be given back their money. It's a good exercise in networking and selling. Ok, leaving now... see you on Monday and thanks again for grilling

GiusCo
Topic Author

September 27th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Google got a birthday cake online declaring they're 14 yo today ... so they will be 25 in 2023 (from incorporation in 1998) and not 2022 as for their initial launch in Stanford 1997 and my DotCom Anniversaries project ... lol ... you never know these girls until you check their ID card ...