Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

rmax
Topic Author

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 11:59 am

iPhone 5I am sure CrashedMint was in some queue in the far east trying to get hold of the phone - but why? Apple products are OK, but this is crazy. Good marketing on Apple's part I suppose.Reminds me of Cabbage Patch Kids back in the 80s

CrashedMint

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxiPhone 5I am sure CrashedMint was in some queue in the far east trying to get hold of the phone - but why? Apple products are OK, but this is crazy. Good marketing on Apple's part I suppose.Reminds me of Cabbage Patch Kids back in the 80sNah, I really dislike queues. It seems like a waste of time. But here's my take on why people like the iPhone:1) It's a low maintenance product. There are a lot of stories about antennas not working and backs shattering and lately how the new mapping software sucks, but I think this is just noise. Generally the iPhone is a product that is very easy to use, even if you're not tech savvy. In addition most people are terribly afraid of "viruses" but they know that you simply don't have them on the iPhone. So even if you "click the wrong thing" (a very common fear of users) you can't break it. If push comes to shove you take it to a Apple store and they fix it.2) Apple was first. They are a bit like the Earl of Sandwich: Sure, bread and cheese and ham existed before but he invented the perfect combination. People like to buy the original thing, that's why you want a Burberry trenchcoat not a GAP trenchcoat, or a Prada bag and not a fake one. In the end it might come out of the same factory, but one is considered "real" versus the other one is considered "fake". In other words: If you want to you can show off with an iPhone, but you can't with a Samsung Galaxy.3) You can actually buy it. When Nokia, or RIM or Samsung announce products they tend to omit shipping dates and prices. They get press for a day, and then it quickly fizzles away. It's a completely mystery to my Nokia/Microsoft would announce a product without giving the minimum required info: When and for how much you can buy the thing. When Apple announces a product it's like "Blam: Here's the greatest thing ever for $699 and it ships in 2 weeks and you can order it RIGHT NOW".
Last edited by CrashedMint on September 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI wouldn't buy one because it ships with iOS6, and that blocks me from using Google Maps (which I don't use). Apple is upping the evilness without giving anything in return.Actually it doesn't. 1) Apple had a contract with Google re the build in maps application which ran out this year and nobody knows whose fault it is that it wasn't renewed. 2) Google has not yet submitted a new "Google Maps" app so nobody knows if Apple would reject it.3) Maps depend on user data which is collected when the maps software is used. Right now Apple's map thing sucks, but as 15% of total iOS webtraffic is iOS 6 right now they will collect a lot of new data so it will (hopefully) get better over time. Maps is the software I use ALL THE TIME.
Last edited by CrashedMint on September 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint2) Apple was first. They are a bit like the Earl of Sandwich: Sure, bread and cheese and ham existed before but he invented the perfect combination. People like to buy the original thing, that's why you want a Burberry trenchcoat not a GAP trenchcoat, or a Prada bag and not a fake one. In the end it might come out of the same factory, but one is considered "real" versus the other one is considered "fake". In other words: If you want to you can show off with an iPhone, but you can't with a Samsung Galaxy.Cellphones have always been a status symbol. By being the most expensive, Apple multiplies or stands on the shoulders of this. I think I am seeing something in the US where cellphones are losing their novelty. The wow is fading, as they have become commonplace. So there is nothing for Apple to multiply or stand on the shoulders of. Expensive cellphone? Big deal.Apple made the novelty of cellphones last longer in the US, by introducing something that looked like an alien right when cellphones were becoming commonplace.But there are still 100 poorer countries where cellphones are not yet commonplace, which might go through smaller versions of the progression, over the next few years. That may be slightly mitigated by purchasing decisions in third-world countries being more in the hands of men. I am pretty sure men buy more Nokias and Samsungs than iPhones compared to women.I think the shattered iphones is a much more serious issue than the antenna. I think it is definitely a major user-experience problem. I guess it can be fixed with a bumper of some size, but I don't know too much about that.

CrashedMint

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint2) Apple was first. They are a bit like the Earl of Sandwich: Sure, bread and cheese and ham existed before but he invented the perfect combination. People like to buy the original thing, that's why you want a Burberry trenchcoat not a GAP trenchcoat, or a Prada bag and not a fake one. In the end it might come out of the same factory, but one is considered "real" versus the other one is considered "fake". In other words: If you want to you can show off with an iPhone, but you can't with a Samsung Galaxy.Cellphones have always been a status symbol. By being the most expensive, Apple multiplies or stands on the shoulders of this. I think I am seeing something in the US where cellphones are losing their novelty. The wow is fading, as they have become commonplace. So there is nothing for Apple to multiply or stand on the shoulders of. Expensive cellphone? Big deal.Apple made the novelty of cellphones last longer in the US, by introducing something that looked like an alien right when cellphones were becoming commonplace.But there are still 100 poorer countries where cellphones are not yet commonplace, which might go through smaller versions of the progression, over the next few years. That may be slightly mitigated by purchasing decisions in third-world countries being more in the hands of men. I am pretty sure men buy more Nokias and Samsungs than iPhones compared to women.I think the shattered iphones is a much more serious issue than the antenna. I think it is definitely a major user-experience problem. I guess it can be fixed with a bumper of some size, but I don't know too much about that.Sure the BRIC market is massive, but there is no law of nature that poor countries have to buy shitty phones, only because we had to first endure Nokias before Apple came along.

rmax
Topic Author

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:39 pm

I do have an iPhone 4s, and it is OK. There are somethings I like (some of the apps) and somethings I hate (e-mail/sms/phone/contacts integration). It does work though out of the box and seems to integrate. I do not want to spend 15 hours patching and organising a sodding phone. I just want to use it.iPhone 5 does not seem to improve on this. I thought and iPhone4S was better than an iPhone 4 (this is my first iPhone), but I have yet to see the improvement.To use CM's analogy. It is bit like the Earl of Sandwich got bread and ham, and then decided that he could charge double if the bread has seeds.

rmax
Topic Author

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint2) Apple was first. They are a bit like the Earl of Sandwich: Sure, bread and cheese and ham existed before but he invented the perfect combination. People like to buy the original thing, that's why you want a Burberry trenchcoat not a GAP trenchcoat, or a Prada bag and not a fake one. In the end it might come out of the same factory, but one is considered "real" versus the other one is considered "fake". In other words: If you want to you can show off with an iPhone, but you can't with a Samsung Galaxy.Cellphones have always been a status symbol. By being the most expensive, Apple multiplies or stands on the shoulders of this. I think I am seeing something in the US where cellphones are losing their novelty. The wow is fading, as they have become commonplace. So there is nothing for Apple to multiply or stand on the shoulders of. Expensive cellphone? Big deal.Apple made the novelty of cellphones last longer in the US, by introducing something that looked like an alien right when cellphones were becoming commonplace.But there are still 100 poorer countries where cellphones are not yet commonplace, which might go through smaller versions of the progression, over the next few years. That may be slightly mitigated by purchasing decisions in third-world countries being more in the hands of men. I am pretty sure men buy more Nokias and Samsungs than iPhones compared to women.I think the shattered iphones is a much more serious issue than the antenna. I think it is definitely a major user-experience problem. I guess it can be fixed with a bumper of some size, but I don't know too much about that.Sure the BRIC market is massive, but there is no law of nature that poor countries have to buy shitty phones, only because we had to first endure Nokias before Apple came along.Bandwidth?

CrashedMint

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint2) Apple was first. They are a bit like the Earl of Sandwich: Sure, bread and cheese and ham existed before but he invented the perfect combination. People like to buy the original thing, that's why you want a Burberry trenchcoat not a GAP trenchcoat, or a Prada bag and not a fake one. In the end it might come out of the same factory, but one is considered "real" versus the other one is considered "fake". In other words: If you want to you can show off with an iPhone, but you can't with a Samsung Galaxy.Cellphones have always been a status symbol. By being the most expensive, Apple multiplies or stands on the shoulders of this. I think I am seeing something in the US where cellphones are losing their novelty. The wow is fading, as they have become commonplace. So there is nothing for Apple to multiply or stand on the shoulders of. Expensive cellphone? Big deal.Apple made the novelty of cellphones last longer in the US, by introducing something that looked like an alien right when cellphones were becoming commonplace.But there are still 100 poorer countries where cellphones are not yet commonplace, which might go through smaller versions of the progression, over the next few years. That may be slightly mitigated by purchasing decisions in third-world countries being more in the hands of men. I am pretty sure men buy more Nokias and Samsungs than iPhones compared to women.I think the shattered iphones is a much more serious issue than the antenna. I think it is definitely a major user-experience problem. I guess it can be fixed with a bumper of some size, but I don't know too much about that.Sure the BRIC market is massive, but there is no law of nature that poor countries have to buy shitty phones, only because we had to first endure Nokias before Apple came along.Bandwidth?Probably a problem? Or is it. I don't know. Maybe somebody needs to take some money and build antennas, but it seems to me like a worthwhile investment, especially if you start in highly populated areas.

CrashedMint

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI do have an iPhone 4s, and it is OK. There are somethings I like (some of the apps) and somethings I hate (e-mail/sms/phone/contacts integration). It does work though out of the box and seems to integrate. I do not want to spend 15 hours patching and organising a sodding phone. I just want to use it.iPhone 5 does not seem to improve on this. I thought and iPhone4S was better than an iPhone 4 (this is my first iPhone), but I have yet to see the improvement.To use CM's analogy. It is bit like the Earl of Sandwich got bread and ham, and then decided that he could charge double if the bread has seeds.Maybe seeds make it better than adding an entire suisse cheese on that sandwich which appears to be the strategy of the competition?The funny thing is that Apple is generally attacked for being all about design and optics, yet when they don't change the design they are attacked for being stale. But why would they change the design? It's not like Porsche is updating their 911 yearly, or Leica their M, or Bloomberg their terminal. At some point they found a design that works for them.

farmer

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintMaybe somebody needs to take some money and build antennas, but it seems to me like a worthwhile investment, especially if you start in highly populated areas.GSM still sucks compared to CDMA, even 10g or whatever they are up to. And the GSM voice codec is still a massive waste of bandwidth compared to g729 or possibly even silk or some others. I don't know what the latest voice compression standard compatibility is for towers. But I can guess 60% chance they would double existing bandwidth by using a better codec.

rmax
Topic Author

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 12:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI do have an iPhone 4s, and it is OK. There are somethings I like (some of the apps) and somethings I hate (e-mail/sms/phone/contacts integration). It does work though out of the box and seems to integrate. I do not want to spend 15 hours patching and organising a sodding phone. I just want to use it.iPhone 5 does not seem to improve on this. I thought and iPhone4S was better than an iPhone 4 (this is my first iPhone), but I have yet to see the improvement.To use CM's analogy. It is bit like the Earl of Sandwich got bread and ham, and then decided that he could charge double if the bread has seeds.Maybe seeds make it better than adding an entire suisse cheese on that sandwich which appears to be the strategy of the competition?The funny thing is that Apple is generally attacked for being all about design and optics, yet when they don't change the design they are attacked for being stale. But why would they change the design? It's not like Porsche is updating their 911 yearly, or Leica their M, or Bloomberg their terminal. At some point they found a design that works for them.I have no problem with the design not changing. Taking Arne Jacobsen - his designs are pretty timeless. What is odd is that people are rushing out to buy something that has not changed that much. That is what I don't get.

CrashedMint

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 1:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI do have an iPhone 4s, and it is OK. There are somethings I like (some of the apps) and somethings I hate (e-mail/sms/phone/contacts integration). It does work though out of the box and seems to integrate. I do not want to spend 15 hours patching and organising a sodding phone. I just want to use it.iPhone 5 does not seem to improve on this. I thought and iPhone4S was better than an iPhone 4 (this is my first iPhone), but I have yet to see the improvement.To use CM's analogy. It is bit like the Earl of Sandwich got bread and ham, and then decided that he could charge double if the bread has seeds.Maybe seeds make it better than adding an entire suisse cheese on that sandwich which appears to be the strategy of the competition?The funny thing is that Apple is generally attacked for being all about design and optics, yet when they don't change the design they are attacked for being stale. But why would they change the design? It's not like Porsche is updating their 911 yearly, or Leica their M, or Bloomberg their terminal. At some point they found a design that works for them.I have no problem with the design not changing. Taking Arne Jacobsen - his designs are pretty timeless. What is odd is that people are rushing out to buy something that has not changed that much. That is what I don't get.I'm not sure they are actually rushing. My guess is that there is a constantly high number of people buying iPhone, but in the months before the new one they will simply wait. So basically we're seing June, July and August's customers right now.

tags

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 5:54 pm

CrashedMint

iPhone 5 madness

September 21st, 2012, 6:10 pm