SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: new yorkers are really pathetic and deluded

August 14th, 2018, 10:00 am

Excellent quote by governor Andrew Cuomo: 
"If the @NRA goes bankrupt because of the State of New York, they'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll see you in court."
Cuomo the second is planning to use the power of government to force out of business organizations with which we he disagrees but which operate within the law.
That's pretty much the definition of abuse of power
An organization squarely in favor of shooting children deserves whatever the governor can throw at them.

rmax

August 14th, 2018, 3:20 pm

"If the @NRA goes bankrupt because of the State of New York, they'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll see you in court."
Cuomo the second is planning to use the power of government to force out of business organizations with which we he disagrees but which operate within the law.
An organization squarely in favor of shooting children deserves whatever the governor can throw at them.
by poops definition that means that anyone of any leadership is abusing their power. Is Cuomo an elected official? Should elected officials do what they think is right rather than what they think people will like. If there are enough people that disagree with him, Cuomo will lose the election and then the NRA can get back into doing whatever they do. I don't think that is an abuse of power I think that is democracy.

ppauper

August 14th, 2018, 3:58 pm

The NRA are not in favor of shooting children, although I suspect you are because it advances your cause

ppauper

August 14th, 2018, 4:16 pm

by poops definition that means that anyone of any leadership is abusing their power. Is Cuomo an elected official? Should elected officials do what they think is right rather than what they think people will like. If there are enough people that disagree with him, Cuomo will lose the election and then the NRA can get back into doing whatever they do. I don't think that is an abuse of power I think that is democracy.
Andrew Cuomo is the hereditary governor of NY. The executive branch. There are checks and balances in the system
>> by poops definition that means that anyone of any leadership is abusing their power
That statement is untrue. Period
The executive branch doesn't make the laws, the legislative branch does.
If the NY state assembly wants to change the law (and/or the state constitution if necessary), that's democracy.
One of the articles of impeachment against Richard Nixon was an allegation that he had the IRS audit people he didn't like. The articles of impeachment called that abuse of power. Under BJ Clinton and Obama, conservatives and conservative organizations were disproportionately targeted. Obama blamed a low-level employee at the IRS and threw them off the back of the bus.

rmax

August 15th, 2018, 8:18 am

Andrew Cuomo is the hereditary governor of NY. The executive branch. There are checks and balances in the system
>> by poops definition that means that anyone of any leadership is abusing their power
That statement is untrue. Period
The executive branch doesn't make the laws, the legislative branch does.
If the NY state assembly wants to change the law (and/or the state constitution if necessary), that's democracy.
One of the articles of impeachment against Richard Nixon was an allegation that he had the IRS audit people he didn't like. The articles of impeachment called that abuse of power. Under BJ Clinton and Obama, conservatives and conservative organizations were disproportionately targeted. Obama blamed a low-level employee at the IRS and threw them off the back of the bus.
Ahh of course it in not the Westminster system. No wonder the US has shooting in schools every month.

ppauper

August 16th, 2018, 6:25 am

Andrew Cuomo has back-pedalled on a stupid remark he made yesterday.
Referring to President Trump committment to "Make America Great Again," the hereditary governor of NY said at a bill-signing event on Wednesday,
"We’re not gonna make America great again. It was never that great."
That statement was walked back later that day by spokeswoman Dani Lever from Cuomo's office,
"The Governor believes America is great"

ppauper

September 4th, 2018, 10:44 am

ppauper

October 3rd, 2018, 9:46 am

the Verrazano Narrows Bridge is now to be known as the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge

there's also a Verrazzano Bridge in RI and they managed to get the spelling right the first time
Last edited by ppauper on October 3rd, 2018, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

October 3rd, 2018, 10:33 am

the Verrazano Narrows Bridge is now to be known as the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge

there's also a Verrazzano Bridge in RI and they managed to get the spelling right the first tine
No true Italian would spell it like that.

Cuchulainn

October 3rd, 2018, 10:44 am

ppauper

October 3rd, 2018, 10:48 am

there's also a Verrazzano Bridge in RI and they managed to get the spelling right the first tine
which of the 2 spellings are you objecting to?

Cuchulainn

October 3rd, 2018, 12:33 pm

which of the 2 spellings are you objecting to?
I'm not Italian. But IMHO zz is better.

bearish

October 3rd, 2018, 1:01 pm

zz tops!

Cuchulainn

October 3rd, 2018, 1:07 pm

zz tops!
QED
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On