SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CrashedMint

How Romney lost his Waterloo

November 14th, 2012, 11:22 am

Last edited by CrashedMint on November 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint

November 14th, 2012, 11:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMinti'm european, and quite happy about that =)You prefer going to graduate school to entering the workforce in a common job. You would rather be a doctor than a lawyer because people seem to like doctors more. You prefer Obama to Romney because Obama is more like Starbucks where supermodels go for coffee. And you carry an iphone.This is strange for someone who has represented himself as being smart and good looking. Why are you so approval seeking, have you no self worth?If you are always trying to attach yourself to external pretty things, are you perhaps ugly? So ugly that working at McDonalds would just validate how you see yourself?Actually the Obama/Starbucks analogy is mine. You can use it, but I want royalties! Maybe you can reply to some random thread that I am right. Please! Come on.

farmer

November 14th, 2012, 11:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintActually the Obama/Starbucks analogy is mine.That is precisely my point. To me, it is a strange though perhaps not fully understood reason for preferring Obama.If I were to call it a crazy reason, the natural question is what has driven you to madness? Why are you willing to spend so much money to attach yourself to fads?Perhaps you are just into fashion. This is not crazy, but rather common. In this case, perhaps you simply could not think of a clear fashion item associated with men. A girl might have said "Obama is my Louis Vuitton" or "Obama is my Newports." But a guy-oriented fashion item did not immediately pop into your head, so you grabbed Starbucks.
Last edited by farmer on November 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint

November 14th, 2012, 12:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintActually the Obama/Starbucks analogy is mine.That is precisely my point. To me, it is a strange though perhaps not fully understood reason for preferring Obama.If I were to call it a crazy reason, the natural question is what has driven you to madness? Why are you willing to spend so much money to attach yourself to fads?Perhaps you are just into fashion. This is not crazy, but rather common. In this case, perhaps you simply could not think of a clear fashion item associated with men. A girl might have said "Obama is my Louis Vuitton" or "Obama is my Newports." But a guy-oriented fashion item did not immediately pop into your head, so you grabbed Starbucks.it appears you are genuinely intrigued, so let me explain what starbucks is too me:Starbucks is a brand which succeeded in creating a positively charged brand not unlike Apple. A lot of people really like Starbucks and somehow it defines their life in a way. They will demand a special preparation, they will actually take pride in spending so much on it. The somehow believe that their very average existence is uplifted through the brand of coffee they drink. Other people really hate Starbucks. To me love and hate are very strong feelings when it comes to coffee. If you look at it calmly it's just coffee and not an especially good one. But it's also not terribly bad. So when I'm in a new location and I don't feel adventurous (say, I'm in transit at an airport) and I see Starbucks I will just get Starbucks. It's a farcry from really good coffee, but it's predictably good. In school grades it's probably a B-.Now when there is a fantastic place next to Starbucks I would never go. But to me Romney was even worse. So I made the call: Vote for the guy who I think is kind of OK, or vote for the guy I really don't like. It's an easy choice in the end. Now why don't I like Romney? One word: Liberty. I think there is nothing more private than your own body and I find it's a horrible infringement into ones personal space when the government decides to tell you, you can't have an abortion. It's also a terrible argument that because some people think it's "bad" gays cannot marry. It's none of the government's fucking business! How dare they tell me what to do! Now, I don't plan to get an abortion and I also don't plan to marry I dude, but it's not exactly my accomplishment that I'm male/white/straight/educated/notpoor.So I would have picked Obama. (Actually, just like you I didn't vote). But I'm not waltzing around smug with that Venti Latte, but I'm merely drinking it. Getting Starbucks is nothing to be proud of. Voting Obama is nothing to be proud of. But people are, which is weird. So next time I get coffee I will smile to that retarded hipster who thinks he's the shit, or no, I will smirk.

katastrofa

November 14th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Starbucks coffee is mediocre.

farmer

November 14th, 2012, 12:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintgays cannot marry. It's none of the government's fucking business! How dare they tell me what to do!Marriage is precisely something the government does, not something you do. You cannot, for example, get married in secret in a dark closet where only you and your wife ever know about it. A doctor cannot examine you and your wife, or watch you through one-way glass, to determine if you are married. One has to go to government, and observe the actions of government, to determine if two people are married.

EscapeArtist999

November 14th, 2012, 1:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintactually I have family in the states, and also lived on the east coast for a while. but i'm european, and quite happy about that =)So you have a few cousins in the US and spent 3 months on some training program once... whooppee do.And it's great that you're european - you can pay crushing taxes for the Mediterranean countires to piss away in various (fun for them) ways... Congratulations!
Last edited by EscapeArtist999 on November 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint

November 14th, 2012, 1:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintactually I have family in the states, and also lived on the east coast for a while. but i'm european, and quite happy about that =)So you have a few cousins in the US and spent 3 months on some training program once... whooppee do.And it's great that you're european - you can pay crushing taxes for the Mediterranean countires to piss away in various (fun for them) ways... Congratulations!actually yes, it is great. nobody's "saving" greece for fun but people have realized that the out of all the shitty options the cheapest is to give greece money and then slowly get them into a controlled bankruptcy. if you let go greece bust overnight the shocks throughout the eurozone would potentially cost a lot more than they are currently getting. and what exactly is your point? i'm only allowed to have an opinion on U.S. politics when I have U.S. citizenship? Bitch, please.

Polter

November 14th, 2012, 2:29 pm

"A lot of people really like Starbucks and somehow it defines their life in a way. They will demand a special preparation, they will actually take pride in spending so much on it. The somehow believe that their very average existence is uplifted through the brand of coffee they drink."Yup.
Last edited by Polter on November 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EscapeArtist999

November 14th, 2012, 2:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintactually yes, it is great. nobody's "saving" greece for fun but people have realized that the out of all the shitty options the cheapest is to give greece money and then slowly get them into a controlled bankruptcy. if you let go greece bust overnight the shocks throughout the eurozone would potentially cost a lot more than they are currently getting. and what exactly is your point? i'm only allowed to have an opinion on U.S. politics when I have U.S. citizenship? Bitch, please.lol. I love it. It's the too big to fail argument. And you know what - Greece is a thIrd world country that lived and consumed like they were a first world country - they should burn now.
Last edited by EscapeArtist999 on November 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerdna
Topic Author

November 14th, 2012, 4:42 pm

"Controlled bankruptcy" is an euphemism for perpetual bankruptcy. Greece has defaulted on private debt. It's going to default soon again on debt to European taxpayers. It will default as many times as it is allowed to borrow until they let it default, exit, and devalue. No one cares if European taxpayers get screwed ten times instead of one to let governments bail out banks for a little longer and let pan European autocrats to sell to the sheeple the story that they are saving the world on the next midnight summit, not that they useless paper shifting morons whose only goal in life is to perpetuate their own existence.

CrashedMint

November 14th, 2012, 5:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintactually yes, it is great. nobody's "saving" greece for fun but people have realized that the out of all the shitty options the cheapest is to give greece money and then slowly get them into a controlled bankruptcy. if you let go greece bust overnight the shocks throughout the eurozone would potentially cost a lot more than they are currently getting. and what exactly is your point? i'm only allowed to have an opinion on U.S. politics when I have U.S. citizenship? Bitch, please.lol. I love it. It's the too big to fail argument. And you know what - Greece is a thIrd world country that lived and consumed like they were a first world country - they should burn now.they do just that. they just figured out that the cheapest way is to do it slowly.

Fermion

November 14th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Arguing over the morality of who wins or loses in the financial war between Germany and Greece is like arguing over the morality of who won in the US war on Iraq. In the latter case it was the military contractors and their political lackeys. They won whatever you think of the outcome. In the former, its the banksters and their political lackeys. They win whatever happens to Greece.

Traden4Alpha

November 14th, 2012, 8:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionArguing over the morality of who wins or loses in the financial war between Germany and Greece is like arguing over the morality of who won in the US war on Iraq. In the latter case it was the military contractors and their political lackeys. They won whatever you think of the outcome. In the former, its the banksters and their political lackeys. They win whatever happens to Greece.Given the alleged victory by the banksters and their political lackeys, would you advocate that governments borrow money on the world markets? And would you recommend that banking regulators forbid banks from lending to governments such as Greece's?
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on November 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

November 14th, 2012, 9:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: FermionArguing over the morality of who wins or loses in the financial war between Germany and Greece is like arguing over the morality of who won in the US war on Iraq. In the latter case it was the military contractors and their political lackeys. They won whatever you think of the outcome. In the former, its the banksters and their political lackeys. They win whatever happens to Greece.Given the alleged victory by the banksters and their political lackeys, would you advocate that governments borrow money on the world markets? And would you recommend that banking regulators forbid banks from lending to governments such as Greece's?Oh, here we go again; fasten seat belts.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On