Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

farmer

goldman sachs

December 1st, 2012, 11:08 am

If I could work anywhere, I would probably work at Goldman Sachs. Not for the money, they are just doing some things I am interested in. And of course I would be unwilling to work in New York, but I might consider London or some other office.It may be that most people there are stupid and evil, but I don't really care. I have not given it enough thought to have an opinion on what that would mean to me.But I don't think it is a waste of your life if you are doing something that interests you that you can't do anywhere else. I think this is the case for perhaps a tiny percentage of people who work there. Most people who work there hate the place, but they went to Brown and got all A- and they are Jewish or something, and get hired even though what they really like is English literature.If it is a bad place, it is probably made so by the people who are "ashamed they work for GS." These types of people are obviously lemmings who will go in for burning Jews if that is what the people around them are doing or it is fashionable. I really don't give a fuck, I don't honestly understand whom they are ashamed in front of, or how one identifies himself with the place where he works if he does not share the values. Or why they don't just leave if they don't like working at a concentration camp or whatever.If I worked there, I would be too good to eat in the cafeteria. I would find my own corner, away from those idiots. Heck, I could be working there right now, for all that I would admit to it. It would be pretty embarrassing to be associated with such a bunch of faggots, I would rather be known as an Al Qaida mole.
Last edited by farmer on November 30th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

goldman sachs

December 1st, 2012, 11:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunWhat are the things they do that you are interested in and which you can only do at GS? That would be one of the unique identities of GS. I'm however sure you can do it anywhere.If you are sure, you are sure and wrong.

farmer

goldman sachs

December 1st, 2012, 11:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunHas it to do with ethical barriers at other places?I watch people using a variety of algorithms every day to trade, or in some cases people who just trade with a certain style. There are some people who are very large and very few. So few and so large, and in the market so often, there are very few people it could be. It is like watching a racing league, where the person driving the most expensive car is not very good at it. I would like to drive that car and do a better job.And also there are large numbers of people using the same algorithms, such that they must be centrally distributed, and the algorithms are kind of dumb. And then there was a really great algorithm that is gone. It is possible it did not work as well any more. But it had a basic magical property, that was so cool I began to assume it would be there forever. Because it was perfect. And there are two algorithms that incorporate features of the popular algorithm and the perfect algorithm.Being large enough to move the market every day creates a problem that is interesting to me and which I will never face.

farmer

goldman sachs

December 1st, 2012, 12:15 pm

Put simply, if I were at the vantage point of the perfect algorithm which has mutated, separating all other signals would be trivial. And I could create an even more perfect algorithm, along the lines of the one that is gone.

farmer

goldman sachs

December 1st, 2012, 1:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunyou like algorithmic trading and marked manipulation... find large trading firms to be your clientLiking algorithms and markets is not the same as liking finding clients. The second involves going outdoors.Anyway, the orders are interesting in proportion to their size. I would have to put GS out of business to get to that size.

farmer

goldman sachs

December 1st, 2012, 3:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThere are many alternative domains full of exciting algorithms research that might be much easier and creating more value for people.I don't much care for algorithms or coding. I like supply and demand. Algorithms have made supply and demand more interesting, because they allow for more scientific advancement and optimization. Economics is all talk, there are few instances of actual laboratories of controlled economic behavior.An economist can enjoy a big order the way a physicist can enjoy a particle collider. I can watch big orders hit the tape. But I cannot say here is how I would hit the tape with a big order, with a different outcome. I will never have an order so big over and over and over.I enjoy simple experiments like selling chips at the bus stop, but the financial markets have a scientific elegance and purity. And single orders have a much more fundamental manifestation of supply and demand than, for example, if you were the Fed and you raised interest rates or bought bonds and waited to see the impact on investment and inflation.But I would take the job of Fed chairman. I once invented my own money called MartianMoney, with a web database of serial numbers on 20's that were exchangeable into 100's through a courier service, to establish value. But of course I was living in the Bahamas and I was afraid to distribute it, because they are so crazy about money laundering.And many years ago, I designed and built a prototype of a really different sort of stock exchange. This was around the time of Island and Optimark. Among the few people who found it remotely interesting were at Goldman Sachs.But basically if you are into economics, and you want to do anything but blabber theoretical mumbo jumbo, auction markets are where it's at.

tags

goldman sachs

December 1st, 2012, 9:17 pm

Quotewhen applying for a job be aware that it's a red pill vs blue pill choice that will affect you for the rest of your life.i agree with this statement. this is very true in the ag commodities field.

skullx

goldman sachs

December 2nd, 2012, 12:19 pm

It is very true about everything.About GS -I'd take this position. It's better to regret on what you did than on what you didn't. You can do your favorite things by yourself at home and you have an excellent opportunity to collect money for your own fund.
Last edited by skullx on December 1st, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

goldman sachs

December 2nd, 2012, 12:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrun* The city of Reno claims to be misled by GS.I have never heard Reno called "The City of Angels." Portraying the guilty as the victim is a popular sport in the US. If middleweight boxers wish to slug it out for cash, I wouldn't pretend there is a moral dimension.