Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

Polish plumber goes wild

December 6th, 2012, 10:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarUV, if you are ever bored on a Friday night, you can visit my Library - this was an effort to showcase some of the best threads from the OT and keep things a bit better organized.I have not visited it myself for quite awhile though, so it need some updating! Trackstar's LibraryOn my way!(As you may know, Poland is famous not only for good plumbers, but also for highly qualified cleaners.)

trackstar

Polish plumber goes wild

December 6th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Please feel free to create your own section of the Library too!I think shy librarians and naughty cleaning women have some things in common.

Ultraviolet
Topic Author

Polish plumber goes wild

December 6th, 2012, 11:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaWhat the Russian oligarch is Googling right about now....I use it very often and I'm not half the man I used to be

Gamal

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 6:48 am

If you ask my opinion, I have much more confidence in Polish builders that in Russian oligarchs.

daveangel

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 7:28 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletTrust me, it has nothing to do with France ;-)I'm not sure if this is a genuine story (BBC is no longer associated with solid journalism). There were some urban legends about Polish workers in Germany. When asked by a German to paint a garden shed, they tore it down.I think you will find that it is Quote The local mayor in the nearby French village of Yvrac is said to be furious.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Gamal

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 7:51 am

Read rather this.QuoteDmitry Stroskin said he had found the chateau after several years of searching around France and had ?fallen in love with it?. Even although it had been in poor condition, he had wanted to renovate it. But, he said, he did not bear a grudge. The damage was done and he planned to work with a Paris architect to ?rebuild an identical Bellevue?. However, local newspaper Sud Ouest said that he had plans already drawn up by a Polish firm of architects for a new Bellevue. A contract worth ?1.5million had already been agreed with a local masonry firm for a two-year build. Is still there anyone who believes it was a mistake? A rich Russian wanted an old but new chateau. All was planned in details from the very begining.

ppauper

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 8:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarThose Polished Polesppauper, November 2010so now we have multiple polish threads

exneratunrisk

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 11:37 am

A gentle Polish architect as coal faced laborer ... Iron curtain time. A few members of the Polish intelligence fled to the west ... Making money for my study I once worked at a steel factory during a summer - the working environment: erecting a new blast furnace. My first profession was metal worker, so I got a little team (even as student) where I did the welding ... one of the supporter was a Polish architect who fled ... The stupid Austrian authorities restricted him to erect a blast furnace by hand instead of designing buildings .. and I wondered how gentle he was ... I most probably in a mirrored situation would have gone wild ...
Last edited by exneratunrisk on December 6th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthis

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 1:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GamalRead rather this.QuoteDmitry Stroskin said he had found the chateau after several years of searching around France and had ?fallen in love with it?. Even although it had been in poor condition, he had wanted to renovate it. But, he said, he did not bear a grudge. The damage was done and he planned to work with a Paris architect to ?rebuild an identical Bellevue?. However, local newspaper Sud Ouest said that he had plans already drawn up by a Polish firm of architects for a new Bellevue. A contract worth ?1.5million had already been agreed with a local masonry firm for a two-year build. Is still there anyone who believes it was a mistake? A rich Russian wanted an old but new chateau. All was planned in details from the very begining.I suspect the same. If this building had a "protection" status, then usually 3-4 different authorities might be involved and the owner needs permits even to change a window. Usually such buildings can barely serve today's needs. An "accident" or natural catastrophe, seems quite a convenience excuse to renovate it radically. Hiring Polish builders may have been part of the scenario. Local builders cant claim ignorance of local regulations.

ppauper

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 2:24 pm

It does sound a bit off

farmer

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 2:45 pm

It is as hard to believe the guy who bought it would want to knock it down, as it is to believe any employee could actually knock it down.

Gamal

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Have you ever seen old chateuas in Europe, farmer? Remember - old in Europe and in America means not exactly the same.

Anthis

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 2:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerIt is as hard to believe the guy who bought it would want to knock it down, as it is to believe any employee could actually knock it down.I am not surprised by this reaction. You dont live in a place with long history and the inherent restrictions.

Gamal

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I don't know how legal it is but the Stroskin way of renovation is quite common. Make pictures, destroy and build something similar, at least from outside. Installing air conditioning in an old building is already a problem, not speaking about a swimming pool, sauna and all other facilities so necessary for Russian billionaires.
Last edited by Gamal on December 6th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Polish plumber goes wild

December 7th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I know, unless it was in a very desirable location, why wouldn't you just buy an empty lot and build there