tagoma
Topic Author

Gay Marriage Gets Supreme Court Review for the First Time

December 7th, 2012, 7:31 pm

ppauper

December 7th, 2012, 7:57 pm

As you know from the article, the California state supreme court legalized same sex "marriage" by judicial fiat. Then the good people of California voted (in Prop.8, a 2008 ballot initiative, i.e. a state-wide referendum) that they did not want gay "marriage".This supreme court decision is about whether or not the will of the people of california is allowed to standAs for DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act), that merely says that if one state chooses to recognize "same sex marriage", the other states are not compelled to do so, but may if they wish. There is precedent for this: for example, the age at which parties can be married is not uniform across the states and one state cannot be compelled to recognize underage marriages from other states.

tagoma
Topic Author

December 8th, 2012, 5:41 pm

yes, i got it.and, do you know what are the fiscal implications of marriage in the US?i mean just as in France you're likely to see the total of taxes on incomes of the couple be cut noticeably.

ppauper

December 8th, 2012, 7:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardyes, i got it.and, do you know what are the fiscal implications of marriage in the US?i mean just as in France you're likely to see the total of taxes on incomes of the couple be cut noticeably.some people claim they want to be "married" so they can get benefits from their "spouse"'s employer, but when it has been suggested that this could be accomplished by means other than marriage (e.g. civil unions) the homosexuals have rejected the olive branch.

ppauper

December 8th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Kennedy is the key vote on scotus on this one, and the outcome is unclear.There have been a number of rulings on "gay rights" where the justices have strayed very far from the constitution and invented new rights, and Antonin Scalia (one of the origonalists on the court, who takes the view that if it doesn't say it in the constitution then it isn't in the constitution) made the point in at least one of his dissents that the same arguments the activist judge used to legitimize same-sex sodomy could also be used to legitimize same-sex "marriage"

Traden4Alpha

December 8th, 2012, 9:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardyes, i got it.and, do you know what are the fiscal implications of marriage in the US?i mean just as in France you're likely to see the total of taxes on incomes of the couple be cut noticeably.some people claim they want to be "married" so they can get benefits from their "spouse"'s employer, but when it has been suggested that this could be accomplished by means other than marriage (e.g. civil unions) the homosexuals have rejected the olive branch.Why don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? Or will they reject that olive branch?

CrashedMint

December 8th, 2012, 10:01 pm

this fight is over. but sure, it's possible that the supreme courts will delay the inevitable. Edit: Here's the data dumb. Most individual polls are not showing respondent age, but the "CBS News Poll. March 12-16, 2009." does. In this old poll the acceptance of gay marriages by younger respondents is about twice as large as the acceptance of older respondents. This pretty much confirm my anecdotal evidence from around campus: Nobody cares if you are straight, gay or whatever and being homophobic is pretty much a direct ticket to assholeville, because basically everybody will think you are a creepy christian or creepy right wing person. Long story short: Once all old people are dead, which should probably take 1.5 generations, or about 45 years, being anti-gay will be pretty much seen in the same way as being against blacks or against women's rights is seen today.
Last edited by CrashedMint on December 7th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

December 9th, 2012, 9:23 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardyes, i got it.and, do you know what are the fiscal implications of marriage in the US?i mean just as in France you're likely to see the total of taxes on incomes of the couple be cut noticeably.some people claim they want to be "married" so they can get benefits from their "spouse"'s employer, but when it has been suggested that this could be accomplished by means other than marriage (e.g. civil unions) the homosexuals have rejected the olive branch.Why don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? They did, they called it "marriage"

Traden4Alpha

December 9th, 2012, 12:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardyes, i got it.and, do you know what are the fiscal implications of marriage in the US?i mean just as in France you're likely to see the total of taxes on incomes of the couple be cut noticeably.some people claim they want to be "married" so they can get benefits from their "spouse"'s employer, but when it has been suggested that this could be accomplished by means other than marriage (e.g. civil unions) the homosexuals have rejected the olive branch.Why don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? They did, they called it "marriage"Given the near universality of marriage, I don't see how any religion can lay any claim to it. Marriage is a secular institution.

farmer

December 9th, 2012, 12:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaWhy don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? Or will they reject that olive branch?Why not just give the Traden4Alpha account to Fermion, and open a new account? Why not just give your money to me, and I will give you some new stuff, and you can call it money? You can have your own little paper confetti, and call it money

farmer

December 9th, 2012, 12:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaWhy don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? Or will they reject that olive branch?You are so fucked up and crooked, you are worse than the proverbial "Irish Jew." I am never coming back to Wilmott to suffer this sort of sliminess.

Traden4Alpha

December 9th, 2012, 12:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaWhy don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? Or will they reject that olive branch?Why not just give the Traden4Alpha account to Fermion, and open a new account? Why not just give your money to me, and I will give you some new stuff, and you can call it money? You can have your own little paper confetti, and call it money I nominate you as Wilmott's Grand Master of Hypercircumbole.

Traden4Alpha

December 9th, 2012, 12:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaWhy don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? Or will they reject that olive branch?You are so fucked up and crooked, you are worse than the proverbial "Irish Jew." I am never coming back to Wilmott to suffer this sort of sliminess.So you are going to throw yourself outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Cuchulainn

December 9th, 2012, 1:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaWhy don't some of the homophobic religions just create there own narrowly-defined "religious unions" if they are so concerned? Or will they reject that olive branch?You are so fucked up and crooked, you are worse than the proverbial "Irish Jew." I am never coming back to Wilmott to suffer this sort of sliminess.So you are going to throw yourself outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth? No fire and brimstone, what?

Gamal

December 9th, 2012, 1:51 pm

What's the economic sens of gay marriage? Why would any government promote homosexuality?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On