SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Gay Marriage Gets Supreme Court Review for the First Time

June 5th, 2018, 6:38 am

As a plain old "H", I feel quite excluded.
it seems the term Non-heterosexuals is used in Colombia. People seem upset, but maybe it's more inclusive than Lggbdtttiqqaapp, because no matter how many letters we add, we're always going to miss some group or other who will feel excluded because of our thoughtlessness

ppauper

July 3rd, 2018, 6:00 am

Man ‘marries’ his laptop, sues for state recognition and a wedding cake
The self-identified “machinist” says he married his laptop in a ceremony in New Mexico, and now he has sued to demand that a Colorado baker — who is already in court after refusing to bake for a same-sex marriage — must be compelled to make cakes for him and his computer “bride.” He also has filed a lawsuit demanding that Utah recognize his man-object marriage.
there is a follow-up on the baker. The supreme court recently decided in favor of the baker in the same-sex case.
The Supreme Court Delivers Another Stinging Rebuke to Anti-Free-Speech Authoritarians
Perhaps the worst government affront to the rights of conscience, far worse than mere censorship, is compelled speech, the practice of forcing Americans to fund or express ideas they find abhorrent. It’s one thing to tell a man or woman that they can’t speak. It’s another thing entirely to compel them to use their voice, their artistic talents, or their pocketbook in support of a cultural, political, or religious enterprise with which they disagree.

ppauper

August 30th, 2018, 8:36 am

ppauper

September 19th, 2018, 11:15 am

given the current allegations against brett kavanaugh, I thought I'd look back on one of the great liberal justices, William Orville Douglas. Not to be confused with Oliver Wendell Douglas or indeed Oliver Wendell Holmes.
In a particularly bizarre episode, Douglas met a flight attendant on a plane and invited her to visit him at the Court, where he allegedly physically assaulted her.
Just a short time after she had entered Douglas's chambers, though, members of the staff began hearing strange sounds from inside - shouts, banging furniture, and running feet. A short time later, the office door flew open and out rushed the young woman, her face all flushed and her clothing badly disheveled,  shouting at the startled office staff how outraged and disgusted she was. Douglas, she said, had chased her around his desk, grabbing at her clothes and demanding that they go to a motel immediately for a sexual liaison
With the myriad of witnesses who saw here run out of Justice Douglas's office, there was no doubt whatsoever that this incident happened. And almost no one cared.
Then-congressman Gerald Ford tried to impeach Justice Douglas in 1970, but "As it became clear that the impeachment proceedings would be unsuccessful, they were brought to a close and no public vote on the matter was taken."

ppauper

September 26th, 2018, 4:11 pm

I'm reminded of the clarence thomas hearing, where the joke was that Teddy Kennedy would be wearing a bag over his head and judge thomas was accused of being "long dong silver" who left a pubic hair on anita hill's coke can

bearish

September 26th, 2018, 5:09 pm

I'm reminded of the clarence thomas hearing, where the joke was that Teddy Kennedy would be wearing a bag over his head and judge thomas was accused of being "long dong silver" who left a pubic hair on anita hill's coke can
Trump is busy tweeting lies about Michael Avenatti in this regard. Probably not a good idea - Avenatti is smart.... Virgin frat boy Brett seems to enjoy pretty solid support from Mitch McConnell who, in the grand scheme of things (and I don’t say this lightly) may be more toxic than Trump.

ppauper

September 27th, 2018, 4:48 am

we now have at least 5 accusations
Kavanaugh’s accusers:
1. Christine Blasey Ford: says he tried to rape her
2. Deborah Ramirez: says he exposed his penis
3. Julie Swetnick: says he was there when she was gang raped
4. Unknown: says he assaulted a woman while drunk
5. Unknown: says he assaulted a woman on a boat
on the other side, we have at least 2 men who have come forward and said that ms ford was mistaken and it was they, rather than judge kavanaugh, who assaulted her. No doubt ms ford will counter by saying that these were 2 separate attempted rapes and she was separately assaulted by both judge kavanaugh and these two men. Or another woman will step up and say that she rather than ms ford was the one assaulted by these 2 new men
(edit: I thought the 2 new men were one incident, reading some reports it may be 2 separate men each of whom is claiming to have been the assailant) if true, these allegations would make judge kavanaugh a sexual predator on a par with bj clinton.

Not sure about
2. Deborah Ramirez: says he exposed his penis
I thought we established in jones v clinton (susan webber wright presiding, bj clinton's old law student) that exposing one's penis to a woman was fine and just a different way of asking her out on a date, just so long as you only did it the one time. It only becomes sexual harassment if you do it a whole bunch of times.
For those too young to remember, when he was Arkansas governor, bill clinton summoned a state employee to see him, dropped his pants and told her to perform oral sex on him. He stipulated to all that in the settlement. Judge Webber Wright ruled that those actions didn't amount to sexual harassment.
Last edited by ppauper on September 27th, 2018, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

September 27th, 2018, 6:32 am

Wednesday, Rush said that if Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, “gives Democrats enough time, they’ll produce a woman claiming to be Kavanaugh’s secret Russian wife whom Trump paid to urinate on that bed in Moscow.”

bearish

September 27th, 2018, 11:18 am

Wednesday, Rush said that if Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, “gives Democrats enough time, they’ll produce a woman claiming to be Kavanaugh’s secret Russian wife whom Trump paid to urinate on that bed in Moscow.”
If Rush says so, it must obviously be true!

ppauper

October 1st, 2018, 8:43 pm

JUDGE BREYER'S LIFE FASHIONED LIKE HIS COURTHOUSE
At Stanford, he had his share of high jinks, getting arrested at one point for underage drinking.
from elsewhere
“We were in a restaurant, which was where they used to sing opera and serve wine. It was called the Bocce Ball, I think. It was very nice. You’d go there, and I think I was 18—I was 18—but the drinking age was 21 and they’d give you a glass of wine and you’d sit there and listen to the opera singers from the San Francisco Opera and have a glass of wine. There was sawdust on the floor. It was very nice, it was a lovely place. … The police apparently raided this opera restaurant and arrested everybody in sight who looked under 21 and there we are, but they didn’t proceed with it further and they sort of wiped out the arrest record.”
and then there's RBG who fell asleep at Obama's State of the Union because she got liquored up before the event

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2018, 10:09 pm

Did Kavanaugh drink American beer or Heineken? In my day Schlitz was $1 while Heineken was $6,

if true, these allegations would make judge kavanaugh a sexual predator on a par with bj clinton.
I didn't know Bill was a big drinker.

bearish

October 2nd, 2018, 1:11 am

Did Kavanaugh drink American beer or Heineken? In my day Schlitz was $1 while Heineken was $6,

if true, these allegations would make judge kavanaugh a sexual predator on a par with bj clinton.
I didn't know Bill was a big drinker.
ppauper has a bj thing with President Clinton

ppauper

October 2nd, 2018, 1:25 am

bill jefferson. it's his name

ppauper

October 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm

it seems Ruth Bader Ginsburg may have lied (ok, did lie) during her confirmation hearings in 1993.
She was questioned during the hearings about her failure to hire african-american law clerks when on the DC Court of Appeals
Sen. Hatch (R, Utah) asked her if a court might reasonably conclude that a small business in a majority black city that hired 57 white employees and zero black employees over a period of years was discriminatory. Ginsburg dodged, before Hatch pointed out that was exactly what she had done in 13 years on the DC Court of Appeals (57 white clerks, zero black clerks)
“I will try harder, and if you confirm me for this job my attractiveness to black candidates is going to improve,” Ginsburg replied, to much laughter throughout the hearing chamber.
Did she do what she promised? Heck no. To date, she has hired over 100 law clerks, exactly one of whom was black.

On his first day, Justice Kavanaugh hired as many black law clerks as Ginsburg has done in her entire 25 years on the Supreme Court.
Kavanaugh’s new clerks are Shannon Grammel, Megan Lacy, Sara Nommensen and Kim Jackson.
Justice Kavanaugh is the first Supreme Court justice to hire an all female class of clerks
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On