Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tags

Re: Sentence Diagrams - A Tool for Intercultural Communication

June 16th, 2018, 7:31 am

from a US guy ("fox")

Apologies for the delay, my 4 yr little girl was taking a tumbling class this week and today was the last today for me to see here.
I'm not sure I get the meaning here. I mean is that a soft way to say something bad has happened to his daughter? Merci!

ppauper

June 16th, 2018, 7:33 am

from a US guy ("fox")

Apologies for the delay, my 4 yr little girl was taking a tumbling class this week and today was the last today for me to see here.
I'm not sure I get the meaning here. I mean is that a soft way to say something bad has happened to his daughter? Merci!
typo for "her" would be my guess

tags

June 16th, 2018, 7:38 am

from a US guy ("fox")

typo for "her" would be my guess
Thank you ppauper. Sorry it is my own typo. The original quote is:
Apologies for the delay, my 4 yr little girl was taking a tumbling class this week and today was the last today for me to see her.
So, does it mean something bad has happened to the little girl? or simply that "today" is the last tumbling class (what is that?) and so the last chance to see his daughter performing her tumbling thing?

ppauper

June 16th, 2018, 8:19 am

tumbling is a form of gymnastics

as you say, the last chance to see his daughter doing the tumbling

tags

June 16th, 2018, 9:28 am

tumbling is a form of gymnastics

as you say, the last chance to see his daughter doing the tumbling
Thank you very much.
BTW, disappointing to be told the publication of the market report you pay for was delayed because service provider was watching his daughter doing gym.

ppauper

June 16th, 2018, 9:53 am

indeed, only marginally better than him telling you that it's late because the dog ate it
I'm not saying he shouldn't have seen his daughter, but this was not an unforeseen event.
At the least, he should have given you advance notice that the report would be late.
And he could have found workarounds, like staying late the night before to finish it or seeing his daughter tumble earlier in the week
Or having colleagues do the report

tags

July 29th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Construction of the new Diamond Green Diesel (DGD) plant in Port Arthur, Texas,
is now expected to begin operations in the first half of 2023, advanced from
the second half of the year, according to Valero.
Does one actually say "construction ... begin operations" in English please?
I mean it doesn't seem sensical to me (baguette bread native). It rather seems to me the writer mixed together plant construction and plant operations. What do ou think? Merci.

bearish

July 30th, 2021, 2:37 am

I mean it doesn't seem sensical to me (baguette bread native). It rather seems to me the writer mixed together plant construction and plant operations. What do ou think? Merci.
This isn’t my first language either, but I think you’re right. If you delete “operations” it all makes sense. Alternatively, if you delete the first two words of the sentence it would also make sense, but most of us do better at the beginning of the sentence than toward the end.

tags

July 30th, 2021, 7:36 am

This isn’t my first language either, but I think you’re right. If you delete “operations” it all makes sense. Alternatively, if you delete the first two words of the sentence it would also make sense, but most of us do better at the beginning of the sentence than toward the end.

Thank you bearish. So it looks like this article excerpt definetely pertains to the "bad reporting" thread  :).
The construction/operation is super annoying as I (like everyone in the biofuels space) are foremost interested in operation start, the plant construction timeline being less valuable information.

tags

July 30th, 2021, 8:26 am

Thank you bearish. So it looks like this article excerpt definetely pertains to the "bad reporting" thread  :).
The construction/operation is super annoying as I (like everyone in the biofuels space) are foremost interested in operation start, the plant construction timeline being less valuable information.

Above was OPIS. Argus, Made it clear: 

Valero plans for a new renewable diesel plant in Port Arthur, Texas, to enter operations in the first half of 2023, ahead of its previous expectation for a second-half 2023 startup.

tags

August 15th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Gawking at the data, to try to decide how to model them, is usually not a good idea. (commas are not mine)

"Gawking at" is getting me confused. What does it mean here, please?

Paul

August 15th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Staring at, open mouthed, perhaps drooling slightly. As at pictures of naked women/men/data according to your preference.

tags

August 15th, 2021, 10:07 pm

Thank you Paul. I hope the author actually introduces such family of distributions later in the book. The French must know it.

tags

September 25th, 2021, 8:05 pm