Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 8th, 2013, 5:23 pm

A new general OT-style thread about Linkedin and other professional social networks.

rmax

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 8th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Has anyone actually used Linkedin for getting a new job? I have used it to check people out who I am (a) interviewing (b) being interviewed by (c) working with, and I have been contacted by HH through it - but nothing more. What are other people's experiences?

traderjoe1976

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 8th, 2013, 5:52 pm

I have used Linkedin mainly to connect with my batchmates from college. This has proved quite useful for keeping in touch with people. Whenever someone gets a promotion and updates their profile, it shows up on my Linkedin page when I sign in. Then, I can send them a congratulations message.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 8th, 2013, 7:00 pm

This allow me to have 'tighter' connections with colleagues and professional contacts made through work/business ("look I am this professional and I know this guy"), to maintain contacts with former colleagues, and to find new valuable contacts in my field.I have been contacted several times by HH via linkedin. Then, I have had nice talks on the phone, and have received a couple of emails. But, each time the genuine reason for their calls was to complete their database.But, there are people actually chasing for openings via linkedin. Eg, the trading manager of a bank (ouch! a Spanish bank) told me this eases his search effort when he needs to add someone to his teams.
Last edited by tags on January 7th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 8th, 2013, 8:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxHas anyone actually used Linkedin for getting a new job? I have used it to check people out who I am (a) interviewing (b) being interviewed by (c) working with, and I have been contacted by HH through it - but nothing more. What are other people's experiences?my 2 centsI am on LinkedIn but no one has offerred me a job (except someone from a largish search engine companyThe last while there have been pleasant discussions on technical stuff. Everyone's very polite because REAL NAMES are very used.It is useful imo; when someone does something you see it.And you can endorse and be endorsed. And a great way to find people.Negative:1. many job stuff.2. Heavy-handed moderators, sometimes (more of the old Wilmott style would be better).3. Sometimes posts contain "well when I worked at the world's biggest widget company as chief pod" stories...All fine stuff. // edouard, u getting into real estate, what?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 7th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 8th, 2013, 9:01 pm

/* NO. The illustration is not from my own linkedin profile. I posted it (this is OT) as I felt amused seeing this "PEOPLE ALSO VIEWED" itemand thinking that some people there seem interested in something elsethan professional contacts! */

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 10th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Do you know who are those "Linkedin Member" ?Anyone who has an upgraded account and configured his/her profile so that to appear incognito?Some specific cat of users?

DevonFangs

Linkedin me up Scotty!

January 11th, 2013, 8:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxHas anyone actually used Linkedin for getting a new job? I have used it to check people out who I am (a) interviewing (b) being interviewed by (c) working with, and I have been contacted by HH through it - but nothing more. What are other people's experiences?I got my current job through a HH that contacted me via linkedin.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 3rd, 2013, 4:08 pm

I just can't believe the girl uploaded this pic to her linkedin profile!

ppauper

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 3rd, 2013, 7:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardI just can't believe the girl uploaded this pic to her linkedin profile!princess of where ?

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 3rd, 2013, 8:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardI just can't believe the girl uploaded this pic to her linkedin profile!princess of where ?there must be a strip club next to the UN offices in NYC.

Cuchulainn

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 3rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

Quote I say it's old, Mr. La Forge. It can't handle the interface of your power converter. This equipment was designed for a different era. Now it's just a piece of junk.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 3rd, 2013, 8:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuote I say it's old, Mr. La Forge. It can't handle the interface of your power converter. This equipment was designed for a different era. Now it's just a piece of junk. LOL

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 5:42 pm

(I was searching profiles at BBVA Spain.)

trackstar

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 6:01 pm

You are becoming a LinkedIn stalker!