Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 6:11 pm

But he is choosy :-)

trackstar

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 6:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnBut he is choosy :-)Sorry, but I think it shows kind of poor judgment to take screen grabs of a series of good looking women from what is generally a professional networking site and then post them elsewhere.
Last edited by trackstar on February 19th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 6:52 pm

I was being ironic.

trackstar

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 6:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI was being ironic.Haha! Well, I just think we need to think about professional etiquette here.Part what makes the OT fun is that it can serve as a little quasi-anonymous break from the "real" world.Some people have pointed out that we might all be more *polite* to each other if real names were used, but you know it would take away some of the fun and the creativity too.
Last edited by trackstar on February 19th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 6:59 pm

QuoteSome people have pointed out that we might all be more *polite* to each other if real names were usedWhich people would that be? It's much more fun to insult someone when you know the real name
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 19th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Haha - maybe, but it would seem like you really meant it then!Let's see, the last time we had some very hot debates, I think maybe Fermion mentioned it, because he was open about his identity.Possibly Traden also mentioned it, but did not advocate for or against - it was just a rational comment.Then I am trying to think - we know who the bloggers are, like you and Paul, so it means a level of decency (well at least common sense) is desirable in speaking with you.On the other hand, it is lots of fun to get into brawls with farmer, zerdna, and others who have sort of fictional identities.And for the ones we do know outside of Off, we also keep in mind where the line is between the worlds.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

February 20th, 2013, 7:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnBut he is choosy :-)Sorry, but I think it shows kind of poor judgment to take screen grabs of a series of good looking women from what is generally a professional networking site and then post them elsewhere.If I were one of the women involved in this cross-community posting trick, I would be quite annoyed with the person who had done that.I think the point is that they try to get edouard to click on things by presenting him with *fake* meta lists ("people also viewed full of woman"). Those woman are probably uploaded by a 300 pound guy.I wonder if these are not girls actually looking at other females' pics.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

March 2nd, 2013, 12:51 pm

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

March 7th, 2013, 11:33 am

I asked a question to a guy I have never been in touch before via twitter (using @pseudoOfThisGuy). He replied to me.Our professional profiles and courses are very different.A couple of hours later, the guy is suggested on the main page as I enter in linkedin, in the "People you may know" column.I have never searched for this guy using linkedin engine (or any other search engine) as I even didn't know the guy exists only few seconds before I send him out a twitt.I have to say that I know very few about both companies that is twitter and linkedin.Are they tied? How?Such 'coincidences' (the topics/people you inquiry on one webiste appear on other websites, afterwards) have been occuring much frequently these last months. But, this is the first time this is so straight/quick/in-my-face.

Traden4Alpha

Linkedin me up Scotty!

March 7th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Or perhaps he searched for you on LinkedIn. (I think LinkedIn has some tools for see who looked at your profile.)The more likely scenario is that a third-party service has IDed both you and pseudoOfThisGuy (via IP address, computer characteristics, cookies, etc.), knows both your Twitter and LinkedIn names, and watches the twitter stream for connective messages. LinkedIn probably subscribes to this service to gather more information on all it's users and to promote cross connections.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

May 13th, 2013, 6:45 pm

QuoteOn May 13, 2013, LinkedIn published revised versions of our Privacy Policy and our User Agreement. Your continued use of LinkedIn means you agree to these revised documents, so please take a few minutes to read and understand them.QuoteSummary of Changes to LinkedIn Privacy PolicyWe have revised our Privacy Policy as of May 13, 2013. The changes summarized here provide more detail and clarification on our collection and use of personal data so that you may have a clearer understanding of how the data you provide to LinkedIn is used. We at LinkedIn work hard to gain and retain your trust, and believe our Privacy Policy reflects the reasonable expectations of our users. We provide this summary of changes to facilitate your review and understanding of LinkedIn?s present privacy policies and practices. However, you should read the full Privacy Policy, as you will be bound by its terms when you view, access or otherwise use LinkedIn.Please note that this summary only explains the parts of our Privacy Policy that contain changes to the content of the document.Following are highlights of the revisions to the Privacy Policy:We shortened the Privacy Policy by removing some of the introductory remarks and our high level summary. As noted below, we have built out additional summary information alongside our longer document to help our members read, understand and find important information about how LinkedIn treats your information.Simple text summaries: We added simple text summaries of the each section of the Privacy Policy to improve readability and to provide a quicker way to reference our information collection and use practices.Introduction:Section 1.A. We have added text explaining which LinkedIn entity (either LinkedIn Corporation or LinkedIn Ireland Limited) is your data controller and reiterating our commitment to protect your data. We also added additional descriptions of the LinkedIn services in this section.Section 1.B. Registration: We clarified the information that is required to register for LinkedIn. In addition, we added that we collect your credit card information from you when you purchase certain LinkedIn services.Section 1.C. Profile Information: We have added references to some of our new features such as following companies and endorsements.Section 1.D. Address Book and other services that sync with LinkedIn: We restated the ?Contacts Information? section from the previous version of our Privacy Policy to clarify how we collect information that you sync to LinkedIn (including your address book) and how we use this information including to help invite other people to use LinkedIn and add to your connections. Additionally, we added detail to this section explaining how LinkedIn offers other services that allow you to sync your information with LinkedIn (such as your iPhone or iPad calendar, and also with external email services).Section 1E. Customer Service: We added language to clarify how we use information collected through LinkedIn?s Help Center.Section 1.F. Using the LinkedIn Site and Applications: We added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 1.G. Using Third-Party Services and Visiting Third-Party Sites: We added language to this section to clarify that we do not use any plugin impression information for advertising.Section 1.H. Cookies: We have shortened this section because we have added a Cookie Policy, available here.Section 1.I. Advertising and Web Beacons: We have added clarifying language to this section related to our advertising practices including advertising technologies, reiterating our commitment not to share your non-public personal information with third-party advertisers or ad networks, and that we may use information from our partners to deliver relevant advertising. We also added an explanation of sponsored content that will show in your network update stream, which will permit social gestures (such as ?like?) that will be visible to other LinkedIn members. Additionally, we have added information about our adherence to the Digital Advertising Alliance?s self-regulatory principles.Former Sections 1.J. and 1.K.: We moved ?Rights to Access, Correct and Eliminate Information About You? and ?Data Retention? to Section 3 of the Privacy Policy.Section 1.J. Log Files, IP Addresses and Information about Your Computer and Mobile Device: We have made minor clarifying language to this section.Section 1.K. Other: We have added this section to let you know that there might be changes to our practices in the future as the LinkedIn service changes.Section 2.A. Consent to LinkedIn Processing Information About You: We added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 2.B. LinkedIn Communications: We added minor clarifying language to this section to better explain the types of messages that we send our members.Section 2.C. User Communications: We added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 2.D. Customized Content: We changed this section to include our use of aggregated information from your network to show you content.Section 2.E. Sharing Information with Affiliates: We added this section to clarify that we may share information between LinkedIn Corporation and LinkedIn Ireland and we may share with other futures affiliates.Section 2.F. Sharing Information with Third Parties: We added that we work with middleware providers for archiving for compliance purposes. In addition we added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 2.G. Developers using LinkedIn Platform Services: We have made minor clarifying changes to this section, including removing the reference to InApps which are no longer offered and simplifying the language in this section.Section 2.H. Polls and Surveys: We added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 2.I. Search: We added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 2.J. Groups: We added minor clarifying language to this section, including by adding reference to sharing done through your Network Update Stream and to describe the difference between open and closed Groups. Additionally, in this section, and throughout the Privacy Policy, we have removed section to the Answers section of LinkedIn. The Answers section is no longer available.Former Section 2.K. Advertising and Endorsements on LinkedIn. We removed this section.Section 2.L. Recruiters: We have added this section describing the LinkedIn Recruiter premium service, the export of public profile information by recruiters, and how you can configure your visibility settings to limit the export of your public profile information to LinkedIn Recruiter customers.Section 2.M. Pages for Companies, Schools, Influencers, and Other Entities: We have added this section to describe LinkedIn pages related to organizations on LinkedIn, and also to support LinkedIn?s Influence program.Section 2.N. Compliance with Legal Process and Other Disclosures: We have made minor clarifying changes to this section.Section 2.O. Disclosures to Others as the Result of a Change in Control or Sale of LinkedIn Corporation: We have made minor clarifying changes to this section.Section 3 Your Choices and Obligations3.A. Rights to Access, Correct, or Delete Your Information, and Closing Your Account: We changed this section to add further description of your rights to access, correct or delete your information. Additionally, we added further detail on the process of closing your account including that with certain exceptions, when you close your account, we generally remove your information from the LinkedIn website within 24 hours and delete or de-identify it within 30 days.Section 3.B. Data Retention: We have added additional information in this section related to our data retention practices to clarify exceptions to our deletion practices.Section 3.C. Your Obligations: We added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 4.A. Minimum Age: We have updated this section to refer to the minimum age requirements in the User Agreement.Section 4.B. TRUSTe and Safe Harbor: We modified this section to update the information about TRUSTe. Additionally, we have added an additional description of our compliance with the U.S. ? E.U Safe Harbor Framework.Section 4.C. Changes to this Privacy Policy: We added minor clarifying language to this section.Section 4.D. California?s Shine the Light Law: We have added this section to describe our compliance with California?s Shine the Light Law.Section 4.E. Security: We added minor clarifying language to this section, including that we offer secure https access to the LinkedIn site.How to contact us: We have added contact information for LinkedIn Ireland Limited.

tags
Topic Author

Linkedin me up Scotty!

May 25th, 2013, 11:59 pm

Some show the company they work with on Linkedin, other don't. Why that?