Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

exneratunrisk
Topic Author

Do vendors think IT professionals are stupid?

January 17th, 2013, 9:11 am

CIO's frustrated by "fake" CloudsMaybe they should have read this business fable ?

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2013, 10:34 am

Barry Boehm "Software Engineering Economics".

rmax

January 17th, 2013, 11:09 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: exneratunriskCIO's frustrated by "fake" CloudsMaybe they should have read this business fable ?Good story. Key here is whether you care a damn about gardening. Some do and some don't. It depends on the size of the lawn and how important it is to you.

katastrofa

January 17th, 2013, 11:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: exneratunriskCIO's frustrated by "fake" CloudsWhat is the definition of a "true" cloud?

CrashedMint

January 17th, 2013, 11:26 am

Hmm, I always thought that "cloud" was just a new way to say "saved on a server, not your own hdd" in the same way that "app" is the new word for "software".
Last edited by CrashedMint on January 16th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

January 17th, 2013, 1:03 pm

So what is the difference between "genuine cloud offerings" and "merely conventional hosting services"?

Cuchulainn

January 17th, 2013, 1:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintHmm, I always thought that "cloud" was just a new way to say "saved on a server, not your own hdd" in the same way that "app" is the new word for "software".Every few years in IT we get a few years of hype.

rmax

January 17th, 2013, 1:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaSo what is the difference between "genuine cloud offerings" and "merely conventional hosting services"?I buy a hosted server and I get 4 processors + 1 TB for disc space for 25000 USDI buy a cloud service, I get the number of processorts I need + the disc space I need. I pay 100 USD/month /processor and 10 USD per GB per month

CrashedMint

January 17th, 2013, 1:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaSo what is the difference between "genuine cloud offerings" and "merely conventional hosting services"?I buy a hosted server and I get 4 processors + 1 TB for disc space for 25000 USDI buy a cloud service, I get the number of processorts I need + the disc space I need. I pay 100 USD/month /processor and 10 USD per GB per monthso cloud means scalable server(s)? has some industry body actually defined this?Probably should or it will end as with flat data rates ("Absolutely uncapped, truly unlimited* data only $30/month! *Dependent on §114c-§129 of our TOS which state "Data volume capped at max. 10 MB per month and/or 1 MB per day. Throttled to 1KB/s after 1MB. Data usage is rounded up to the nearest full MB hourly. Excess rates: $10/KB. Mobile video charged separately."

exneratunrisk
Topic Author

January 17th, 2013, 1:49 pm

My personal view: criteria on a cloud-in-heaven (from the software maker's standpoint)1. Simplified, virtualized platform - I am not interested in operating systems, versions ... 2. Manage multiple clouds - a kind of portability in the large3. Insight on the future - clouds are developing fast (nearly weekly you hear a drumroll ..). I want to know what they offer in a year.4. Support the application life cycle - from development to configuration management 5. Automation - of repetitive set-up and run procedures, resource management ...6. On demand licensing and pricing, transparent cost control ....
Last edited by exneratunrisk on January 16th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

January 17th, 2013, 1:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaSo what is the difference between "genuine cloud offerings" and "merely conventional hosting services"?I buy a hosted server and I get 4 processors + 1 TB for disc space for 25000 USDI buy a cloud service, I get the number of processorts I need + the disc space I need. I pay 100 USD/month /processor and 10 USD per GB per monthso cloud means scalable server(s)? has some industry body actually defined this?Not exactly to myself at least. Truly the cloud is a service offering where you don't need to care about the implementation and only pay for what you use (are structured notes cloud investments ). It is a good model that works for H/W, but could also work for a pricing service (i.e. 0.001 USD for every time you price a trade).Industry defintion is difficuly IMHO. I bit like Web 2.0. Cloud is hype at the moment, but like all other hyped things, the kernal is a good idea and might add value in certain contexts (e.g. tranistor, IC, Assembler, Cobol, C, OO, C++, Java, UML, TOGAF, Cloud, Internet, SOAP etc etc etc)QuoteProbably should or it will end as with flat data rates ("Absolutely uncapped, truly unlimited* data only $30/month! *Dependent on §114c-§129 of our TOS which state "Data volume capped at max. 10 MB per month and/or 1 MB per day. Throttled to 1KB/s after 1MB. Data usage is rounded up to the nearest full MB hourly. Excess rates: $10/KB. Mobile video charged separately."Cracked me up.

katastrofa

January 17th, 2013, 2:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaSo what is the difference between "genuine cloud offerings" and "merely conventional hosting services"?I buy a hosted server and I get 4 processors + 1 TB for disc space for 25000 USDI buy a cloud service, I get the number of processorts I need + the disc space I need. I pay 100 USD/month /processor and 10 USD per GB per monthYou can buy a hosted virtual server.

LTrain

January 17th, 2013, 4:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI buy a hosted server and I get 4 processors + 1 TB for disc space for 25000 USDI buy a cloud service, I get the number of processorts I need + the disc space I need. I pay 100 USD/month /processor and 10 USD per GB per monthOuch.. I spend ~$10k for a fully redundant machine incl routine MS software. Servers have a 3 year life span and include a nice biz write off on Schedule C (depreciation). Don't forget compliance costs of an offsite resource. ..and the best part... I get to bully a helpless IT contractor as part of the deal!But seriously, to me the big attraction of the cloud is containing maintenance costs. I spend wayyy to much time upgrading and replacing stuff, which includes a massive learning curve. (Im not an IT puke by anyone definition of the word)

Cuchulainn

Re: Do vendors think IT professionals are stupid?

November 8th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Is UML: dead?