SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

What car do you drive?

April 25th, 2014, 4:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaIt's impossible to tell if someone buying of an old XXX for restoration or collection perceives the romance of the thing or perceives that others might perceive the romance of the thing. The canny speculator wonders more about future buyer's perceptions than their own perceptions.I disagree that people can quantify beauty without experiencing beauty. Someone made a web page where the text was scattered at random vertical positions, and the margins were too narrow. I told him the problems. But without a specific formula for how wide margins should be, how can he know what size margins people will find pleasing?I am good at doing fancy lettering. If you make an unbalanced set of letters, it looks wrong. If you make a letter that is too narrow in some spot, it looks wrong. If you make letters that combine curves and squares and textures in an excessive way, it looks wrong. I theorized that the mind has a crude way of judging the quality of physical structures, which it applies to letters.If you are not equipped with these same instincts, you will not be able to guess what other people will accept or reject based on these instincts. Just as it is easier for a guy to know what girls men will find attractive, and harder to know what guys women will find attractive.It took me a long time to make sense of Victoria's Secret models who look like men. My best guess is that most of their customers are girls. So they attract them with things they find attractive, which is going to be things that look masculine. But I don't know what the right recipe is, I cannot just put a man in a bra and imagine girls will think it looks hot.You don't need instincts to figure out the basic rules for what people like or don't like (shiny red sportscar with a throaty engine, nostalgic crap from the 1950s, "rare" anything mint in box). A good salesperson has instincts for the customer more so than the product. It's just like the cold reading techniques of psychics. You figure out what people want by their reactions and you give it to them.

Cuchulainn

What car do you drive?

April 25th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Quote It's just like the cold reading techniques of psychics. You figure out what people want by their reactions and you give it to themA psychic?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 24th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

farmer

What car do you drive?

April 25th, 2014, 4:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaYou don't need instincts to figure out the basic rules for what people like or don't like (shiny red sportscar with a throaty engine, nostalgic crap from the 1950s, "rare" anything mint in box). A good salesperson has instincts for the customer more so than the product. It's just like the cold reading techniques of psychics. You figure out what people want by their reactions and you give it to them.That is very good! I did not know the word for what a Two Brothers slip-on exhaust sounds like. I did not know exactly what is cool about little, red, shiny after-market clutch levers. Or consider the two examples I edited out of my post, where the buyer made 10,000 times his money. One was a red sports car, the other was a mint wooden box with the name of the famous person who made it, whom he made it for, and who was to inherit it after she died.But I think more people will be able to do it my way than your way. Round headlights are better than square headlights. Many people can see they like one better than the other, but did you know this? There may be other things also that are not so obvious. I do not like how Ducatis only have a swing-arm on one side. It looks unbalanced. But I guess looking space-age or unique is more valuable than looking correct. Or maybe I am right, and Ducati is wrong.Or maybe having an exposed-looking back tire is the most valuable, as Aprilia achieves by not having a back seat. Or maybe having an exhaust under the seat like a jet is more attractive. But only on bikes that have other retro qualities. I can look at them and tell you which one I like. Can you tell me?

farmer

What car do you drive?

April 25th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Here is a nostalgic video I like. But if you do not have the same tastes as me, you will not know why it is nostalgic.And here is what it is reminiscent of.Now you know that a nitrous bottle should not be red or black. Blue may be the color code for the gas, I don't know. But if you think you should paint it to match a red, white and orange bike, you would be wrong. If you think a bike should not have that color scheme, you would also be wrong.On the other hand, my friend was shopping for old motorcycles, and he found one that resembled the logo of the Miami city bus system. He showed it to someone else who also agreed. I don't know the bus system, to me it just looked like Miami Vice. It is likely both Miami Vice and the bus system are reminiscent of "Miami Modern" motel architecture. But a person who likes architecture, or Miami Vice, will not be able to sell a bike to someone who is tired of taking the bus.
Last edited by farmer on April 24th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

What car do you drive?

April 25th, 2014, 6:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerHere is a nostalgic video I like. But if you do not have the same tastes as me, you will not know why it is nostalgic.At one time I owned the truck in that video and the motorcycle in that video at the same time! Sometimes men do not recognize momentous events at the time they happen, but only realize their significance years later through an examination of history. I do not remember anything really spectacular about it.One time I was at the strip club, and they asked me if the strippers could do a photo shoot with that bike. I went outside to buy cigars, and they were all crowded around a Harley instead. But that was the taste of the old dude with the camera. You will notice in the pictures they were all looking left.
Last edited by farmer on April 24th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

What car do you drive?

April 25th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Maybe round headlights have romance today, but those "old timey" square ones will be all the rage among collectors in a couple of decades.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the speculator is more concerned with changes in the beholders than changes in beauty. Buy low, sell high is basically the same as buy ugly, sell pretty.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on April 25th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

What car do you drive?

April 26th, 2014, 7:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaMaybe round headlights have romance today, but those "old timey" square ones will be all the rage among collectors in a couple of decades.Burn in hell, proud man, who are you to think you can know the mind of God?

Traden4Alpha

What car do you drive?

April 26th, 2014, 11:44 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaMaybe round headlights have romance today, but those "old timey" square ones will be all the rage among collectors in a couple of decades.Burn in hell, proud man, who are you to think you can know the mind of God?LOL! There's no gods involved. It's the minds of men that follow the well-worn cyclic path of fads and nostalgia.

Cuchulainn

What car do you drive?

April 26th, 2014, 12:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaMaybe round headlights have romance today, but those "old timey" square ones will be all the rage among collectors in a couple of decades.Burn in hell, proud man, who are you to think you can know the mind of God?LOL! There's no gods involved. It's the minds of men that follow the well-worn cyclic path of fads and nostalgia.QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane,In proving foresight may be vain:The best-laid schemes o' mice an' menGang aft agley,An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,For promis'd joy!
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

farmer

What car do you drive?

May 2nd, 2014, 6:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaNot all are turned off by the necessity of work. That's the difference between the restorer mindset and the collector mindset. For the restorer: the greater the degradation, the greater the value. They take greatest pride in fixing broken old stuff. For the collector: the greater the perfection, the greater the value. They take greatest pride in owning the shiniest example of something.I have a funny anecdote. A guy I know bought an antique outboard motor, just to have something to tool around the bay. It was beautiful. It was like 50 years old, and somehow its original paint was almost perfect, just a few nicks.But somehow in transport, some of the old gunk got loose, and gummed up the cylinders. Eager to go visit some new islands, I watched him roll it around on a concrete floor, grinding off paint that had looked the same from Kennedy until that day. Without even a thought. After not really getting anywhere except to destroy the finish, he said "I am just going to throw it in the trash. To make sure no one else ever has to suffer as I have."

tagoma

What car do you drive?

May 11th, 2014, 4:07 pm

McLaren P1

ExSan

What car do you drive?

May 11th, 2014, 9:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaMcLaren P1let's be more realistic.this one is affordable after all

tagoma

What car do you drive?

July 6th, 2014, 7:05 pm

I jsut came across this website:www.fueleconomy.gov

tagoma

What car do you drive?

September 11th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Ferrari to Boost Production to Keep Pace With Super RichHigher supply, lower prices?

Traden4Alpha

What car do you drive?

September 11th, 2014, 8:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaFerrari to Boost Production to Keep Pace With Super RichHigher supply, lower prices?Not necessarily. If the net rate at which "people willing to pay X for a Ferrari" appear in the market is accelerating, then the rate of production can similarly accelerate. As long as the rate of more new buyers exceeds the rate of more new cars, the price can remain X.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On