SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar

Re: A thread about people in the OT: or the Meta OT people thread

December 29th, 2019, 9:21 pm

@trackstar
Looks like I cannot send you PMs on Wilmott (Not even talking about the tight marital control I live under).
Did you finally publish the book you were talking about by 2013? Can you kindly mention title and suggest an online shop to buy it?
Thank you.
Hi tagoma, Thanks for your interest. Yes, I disabled the PM feature a long time ago. Easiest just to stay in the front of the house - WYSIWYG. 

Condolences on your marital lock down, but it must have some nice aspects too. : )

On the book, i finished the manuscript a few years ago, but decided not to publish it partly due to significant changes in the industry that guaranteed its obsolescence, especially given the time line for actual publication.  

Still, it was a very good exercise in research and self-discipline - sort of like training for a marathon - and I could certainly produce something else in the next year or so.

We'll see!

Happy holidays to you and yours!

tagoma
Topic Author

December 29th, 2019, 9:32 pm

@trackstar
Looks like I cannot send you PMs on Wilmott (Not even talking about the tight marital control I live under).
Did you finally publish the book you were talking about by 2013? Can you kindly mention title and suggest an online shop to buy it?
Thank you.
Hi tagoma, Thanks for your interest. Yes, I disabled the PM feature a long time ago. Easiest just to stay in the front of the house - WYSIWYG. 

Condolences on your marital lock down, but it must have some nice aspects too. : )

On the book, i finished the manuscript a few years ago, but decided not to publish it partly due to significant changes in the industry that guaranteed its obsolescence, especially given the time line for actual publication.  

Still, it was a very good exercise in research and self-discipline - sort of like training for a marathon - and I could certainly produce something else in the next year or so.

We'll see!

Happy holidays to you and yours!
Hello trackstar.
Thank you for replying!
I would have loved to read it!
The next one, maybe?

trackstar

December 29th, 2019, 9:45 pm

In a different costume maybe. : )

Pachelbel's Canon in D Major

10 hours of relaxation - enjoy!

Cuchulainn

December 29th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Also good with a hot chocolate in the evenings. Turn lights off.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DggOmuR9BpY

"A nocturnal state...That is what I want to convey: what goes on in a dream, during a dream." is how Joyce described it. The work, which would exhaust two decades of his life and the odd resources of some sixty languages, culminated in the 1939 publication of Joyce's final and most revolutionary masterpiece, Finnegans Wake 
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

katastrofa

December 29th, 2019, 10:01 pm

"Condolences on your marital lock down, but it must have some nice aspects too. : )"

That's what many people think about marriage before they get married. The love knot can become the Gordian know when you legalise it (even if there are no material obstacles to cut it, the emotional strength required may be more than you've assumed to have). Marriage and relationships should be banned. Trust me, get two cats and your house will be as dirty and stingy as if you lived with a man.

trackstar

December 29th, 2019, 10:12 pm

"Condolences on your marital lock down, but it must have some nice aspects too. : )"

That's what many people think about marriage before they get married. The love knot can become the Gordian know when you legalise it (even if there are no material obstacles to cut it, the emotional strength required may be more than you've assumed to have). Marriage and relationships should be banned. Trust me, get two cats and your house will be as dirty and stingy as if you lived with a man.
Once upon a time, I lived in a very large old mansion on a river in the north with ten housemates - a fairly even balance between men and women, plus various boyfriends, girlfriends, cats, and other familiars. My two cats and I had the attic to ourselves. Perfect.

The men were quite good - they could cook and did some cleaning too.  Of course, across the group, there was a wide spectrum from meticulous to sloppy, but on the whole, the house was well-kept (and great for parties!)

Despite the male presence there, it did not stink. Must have been the burning of patchouli candles and other sweet smoke that drifted through from time to time...  ; ) 

katastrofa

December 29th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Men who cook and don't stink?? Disgusting!

BTW, I've had a man cooking for me today. My smart cooker sent to me an S.O.S. message. I have no idea how cooking pasta can heat up the wiring of a piezoelectric fob so much that it shuts down in emergency mode - only true men can do this. In the olfactory department, everything smells with truffles and I'm actually getting nauseated from it... I feel so loved! :-D

trackstar

December 29th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Men who cook and don't stink?? Disgusting!

BTW, I've had a man cooking for me today. My smart cooker sent to me an S.O.S. message. I have no idea how cooking pasta can heat up the wiring of a piezoelectric fob so much that it shuts down in emergency mode - only true men can do this. In the olfactory department, everything smells with truffles and I'm actually getting nauseated from it... I feel so loved! :-D
Pasta and truffles sound very good - what will the final dish be?

On the malfunction of the cooking unit - were you using the right voltage?  I have a set of simple adapter plugs and then a set of charge converters.

It can make a difference from place to place.

katastrofa

December 30th, 2019, 11:32 am

It was pasta with thinly and regularly chopped and fried button mushroom and onion mixed with gravy leftovers and at least half a jar of truffle paste.

Smart devices don't require the user to know what voltage is. I have some Italian AI oven. You just put a pan on it and tell it "Make me the pasta of your people". Maybe it heated up so much because my boyfriend tried to overcook it? :-) (I definitely feel better in an old-school kitchen, too, but the flat is on sale and buyers apparently prefer such fancy-shmancy stuff.)

trackstar

December 30th, 2019, 12:52 pm

that pasta sounds delicious - slightly overcooked, with L for you.   : )

I am thinking of buying a new oven this year - not fancy digital stuff but a good quality double oven with a seven burner stove.

Image.

bearish

December 30th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Hallman? I was not actually familiar with them, but then again, haven't really shopped for major kitchen equipment for a couple of decades. In terms of minor kitchen equipment, the excitement of the year have been the sous vide circulator and the still. The less said about the latter the better, I guess, but the most surprising thing about the whole sous vide thing is that a set of really cheap plastic bags and what looks like a Barbie bicycle pump can make for a perfectly serviceable vacuum package for a variety of foods. 

trackstar

December 30th, 2019, 11:13 pm

well, that is not necessarily the brand I would buy, but I liked the picture and it was good for my illustrative purposes here.

Just as retweets do not imply endorsement, pictures grabbed from the internet...

On cooking methods - I am not attracted to sous vide (of course you probably use glass not plastic), but leaving that debate aside, what I really love are my Dutch ovens.  I have one Le Creuset and they are worth their fancy price (though if you don't mind small imperfections, the discount retailers usually have some in stock too). The other one is a Cuisinart and does the job fine too.

In possible expansion of culinary operations this year, I have a good set of canning and preserving supplies and might start making jams, pickles, and other delectable sweet, sour, and spicy things this winter.

It all takes time, but if you are happy in the kitchen, it is also a form of meditation. : )

and we can all probably use a little more of that!

trackstar

December 31st, 2019, 1:01 am

and one final thought - on the still front - as I do love specialty liqueurs.

I was looking for something to add to a pear-cranberry compote recipe and discovered Belle de Brillet.

This is a velvety pear-infused cognac - truly wonderful and just a taste is enough - 

by itself, in a pear dessert, or over french vanilla ice cream, which I tried this evening. 

Gilding the lily, but why not?  : )

Cuchulainn

January 14th, 2020, 10:25 am

Huge interest in job opportunity on the Great Blasket Island

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0114/1107302-huge-interest-in-jobs-on-the-great-blasket-island/

Wildlife, fresh air, no electricity, no wifi, no hot showers. Should appeal to some.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Paul

January 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm

If you are trying to trap me into saying that this sounds just like France then you have failed!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On