Ultraviolet

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

ppauper
Topic Author

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIn any case, RIP to the Iron Lady.Without the Conservative Party, we would not have the Sex Pistols.For every action, an equal and opposite reaction...God Save the Queen? Sex Pistols 1975-1979Britain had Labor prime ministers between March 1974 and May 1979

Fermion

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIn any case, RIP to the Iron Lady.Without the Conservative Party, we would not have the Sex Pistols.For every action, an equal and opposite reaction...God Save the QueenAre you a dialectical materialist, then?

trackstar

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIn any case, RIP to the Iron Lady.Without the Conservative Party, we would not have the Sex Pistols.For every action, an equal and opposite reaction...God Save the Queen? Sex Pistols 1975-1979Britain had Labor prime ministers between March 1974 and May 1979Yes, I know the dates and parties.I also know what the state of the UK and particularly London was in the '70s.Fine though - without politicians of various stripes (and Stagflation), we would not have the Sex Pistols.

trackstar

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIn any case, RIP to the Iron Lady.Without the Conservative Party, we would not have the Sex Pistols.For every action, an equal and opposite reaction...God Save the QueenAre you a dialectical materialist, then? I was in my 20s! A little schizophrenic, politically, nowadays...
Last edited by trackstar on April 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperBritain had Labour prime ministers between March 1974 and May 1979Harold Wilson was Head Boy at my school. He was ok. (Never met the man though.) Callaghan was lame. So we can thank Labour for the Sex Pistols. I knew they did something useful.P

ppauper
Topic Author

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperBritain had Labour prime ministers between March 1974 and May 1979Harold Wilson was Head Boy at my school. how did he get that nickname ?QuoteHe was ok. (Never met the man though.) Callaghan was lame. So we can thank Labour for the Sex Pistols. I knew they did something useful.P

trackstar

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperBritain had Labour prime ministers between March 1974 and May 1979Harold Wilson was Head Boy at my school. how did he get that nickname ?Head Boy is like Senior Prefect.I think you are a Choatie, right, pp?

Paul

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperHarold Wilson was Head Boy at my school. how did he get that nickname ?Because there were no girls. Dur!P

ppauper
Topic Author

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperBritain had Labour prime ministers between March 1974 and May 1979Harold Wilson was Head Boy at my school. how did he get that nickname ?QuoteHe was ok. (Never met the man though.) Callaghan was lame. So we can thank Labour for the Sex Pistols. I knew they did something useful.PHead Boy is like Senior Prefect.I think you are a Choatie, right? heck no !from another threadQuote(there used to be a saying in New England, "If you can't get a girl, get a dog. If you can't get a dog, get a Choatie")choate on family guy:sadly removed from youtube:QuoteStewie tries to trade Brian (his dog) for the teddy bear that Brian sold by accident in a yard sale. stewie:"I'll give you my dog for if I lose the ski race". Man:"what can the dog do?"Stewie:"He will lick peanut butter off of any part of your body.....Any part". Man:"Well,I did go to Choate"

trackstar

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 9th, 2013, 8:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarHead Boy is like Senior Prefect.I think you are a Choatie, right? heck no !from another threadQuote(there used to be a saying in New England, "If you can't get a girl, get a dog. If you can't get a dog, get a Choatie")choate on family guy:sadly removed from youtube:QuoteStewie tries to trade Brian (his dog) for the teddy bear that Brian sold by accident in a yard sale. stewie:"I'll give you my dog for if I lose the ski race". Man:"what can the dog do?"Stewie:"He will lick peanut butter off of any part of your body.....Any part". Man:"Well,I did go to Choate" Yes, this is what I had in mind.I figure for you, Choate, then Yale.

Cuchulainn

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 10th, 2013, 5:55 am

No PM compare themselves with Gladstone any more?

rmax

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 10th, 2013, 6:54 am

House of Cards is very good and was first broadcast by chance when Thatcher was on the ropes and was being ousted from the party. Made good viewing at the time.Thatcher also made Spitting Image and much other satirical comedy in the 80'sAlso this thread had made me remember the whole "US can use the UK as an unsinkable aircraft carrier" policy with nuclear weapons being installed along with launching air strikes against Libya (before we all became friends with them, and before we then decided that actually it wasn't a nice political regime and we should aid the Arab Spring).I have a feeling Paul might be right that the Conservative party might actually be more truthful - if you are rich and powerful you will remain rich and powerful and no other person will be able to take it away... doesn't make it right though.

exneratunrisk

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 10th, 2013, 7:10 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulDid Scargill get that Kremlin money in the end? To keep the strikes going. I can't recall the outcome.PI remember money being collected in Dundalk every week at the time. In some circles maybe the same thing .People contributed fivers and tenners on a regular basis all over the country. It was to feed the families of strikers because the union had insufficient money for strike pay. I am quite sure that striking miners would have greatly appreciated anything that came from the Kremlin without it making any difference to their opinion of the internal politics of the SU.But the fact that Thatcher was turning the UK into a giant US nuclear base was another hot issue at the time which I am quite sure had a major impact on the SU's decision to help the miners.It is impossible to asses the era from remote, because information about such events are deeply encapsulated in messages, opinions and appeals .. I confess, most of the "informations" I had, was from novels, fictions, ... But it was a tragedy in detail? Families and friendships were torn ... by the "ironness" of both sides?But trying to assess the Thatcher era in general, I ask myself: how much industry shall an industrialized country have? And is it a great motivation to weaken it "suddenly", because its workers are better "organized"? Could be embraced into the digging-holes-for-yourself problem? IMO, it belongs to the family of predictably-irrational behaviors ....
Last edited by exneratunrisk on April 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 10th, 2013, 7:33 am

@rmax I just want to be rich, not rich and powerful. P
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On