SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 12th, 2013, 7:32 pm

On another thread there was a conversation about babies whining in their prams...You don't have to have *every* toy that the other kids have.Good for wizards to have a few special tricks and for there to be some mysteries in life!If you already had everything and already knew all of the answers, you would take it all for granted.
Last edited by trackstar on April 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 12th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Is it worth waiting for?P

trackstar

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 12th, 2013, 8:11 pm

I have seen enough flipping, whizzing, convulsing tape loops and though this may not be a popular view, I do not see what the benefit is between video embedded in the frame as opposed to clicking on a link to go to youtube. At the least in the OT context. But if it is easy and doesn't take dozens of mythical man-months, why not?
Last edited by trackstar on April 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 12th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Yes, I see! It may take a while but def worth waiting for! You guys are soooooooo clever!P

traderjoe1976

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 5:11 am

It is an excellent clip. I watched it three times so far and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you copy and paste this link below:http://www.youtube.com/embed/PHQLQ1Rc_Js in Google Chrome, it will give you the option to go go directly to the YouTube and start playthe linking the video instantly without any delay.Or you can paste the link below in Google Chrome and it starts playing the video instantly: is a bunch of wimps for refusing to play this song on the weekly Charts show.

exneratunrisk

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 7:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulFor the young ones here who never witnessed the 1970s, early 1980s UK, and for the senile who've forgotten, I'd like to paint a picture. Look at this man. He is Bob Crow, the modern equivalent of Arthur Scargill, the man who destroyed the mining industry and the livelihoods of many families: Imagine if he had the country by the cojones. Also imagine power cuts, reading by candlelight, rubbish in the streets because of strikes, the dead unburied because of strikes. Now add in a prawn cocktail, boil-in-the-bag cod in parsley sauce, an avocado bathtub...and voila, you have the 1970s! PIndeed! Trade unions are just greed dressed up in solidarity clothing.(That said, the organizations that suffer from unionized labour probably deserve their fate.)????? This is not a T4A analysis? I take this as propaganda, Sorry.It is a bit more differencated? Take VW as prototype. The majority owner is the state of Niedersachsen, they have a strong union base, the workers earn sifgnificantly more than the average in similar jobs and they are "a little" more successful than Opel the GM subsidiary (bailed out by the German tax payers several times) And you might want to study the Swedish way - with the unexpected: consevatives wanted state ownership of the core industry and the social democrates and unions said NO.There is cooperation between management and unions - not all are a bunch of Scargills.No, it is not that simple, ideologies, movements, clans and individuals are not just brillant or stupid, all-knowing or naive, altruist or selfish ... ?
Last edited by exneratunrisk on April 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 8:05 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PolterQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaThere is one clip in which some liberal worm says, "yeah, undoubtedly everyone is better off now than when Mrs Thatcher came, but the gap, the gap!!! The gap between poor and rich increased! That's horrible!". To which Thatcher replies on the spot -- "you just agreed that everyone is better off and you dislike it. You really would rather poor were poorer only if rich could be less rich". I though it was very precisely put. RIPLOL! Exactly! The Liberals are the party of envy.Indeed -- and the politics of envy is precisely one of the key marketing techniques targeting LIVs. Every. Single. Election.I would not be overly concerned. Liberals are just republicans who don't go to mass and drive Volvos.A more insidious strain are - in the words of Bill O'Reilly - the set of left-wing secular progressives.And then neo-liberals are basically conservatives? I have no idea (and I don't really care) but a good definition is useful.As Exner intimated, we don't have these dichotomies on the mainland of Europe. It probably dates back the the Rheinland model.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Cuchulainn

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 8:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976It is an excellent clip. I watched it three times so far and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you copy and paste this link below:http://www.youtube.com/embed/PHQLQ1Rc_Js in Google Chrome, it will give you the option to go go directly to the YouTube and start playthe linking the video instantly without any delay.Or you can paste the link below in Google Chrome and it starts playing the video instantly: is a bunch of wimps for refusing to play this song on the weekly Charts show.The BBC has a long tradition of censorship when it deems a song is politically too sensitive or in bad taste (somewhat ironic, seeing the scandal of the Savil affair). Some prudish MP might also complain about Chuck Berry's song "My ding a ling" or Wings' "Give Ireland back to the Irish" the listDuring the Thatcher era, censorhip reached a new level: Reporting on the Falklands/Malvinas was blacked out, Gerry Adams' voice (an MP) was dubbed over by an actor etc.It was around that time I lost faith in the BBC world service.Is this the moral callousness of our age? Pravda is not always pravda
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 8:27 am

Also banned by BBCLulu, boom bang a bang QuoteSatire was another reason for banning: in 1953, 10 of the 12 tracks on Songs by Tom Lehrer were banned.So, Lulu is being satirical all along I suppose Gullivers Travels was banned as well?

traderjoe1976

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 9:42 am

Celebrations in UK

Paul

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 10:41 am

You don't hear much Gary Glitter on the radio these days either.P

trackstar

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 10:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulYou don't hear much Gary Glitter on the radio these days either.PI think he got in trouble for something...related to the Jimmy Saville situation.
Last edited by trackstar on April 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

RIP Margaret Thatcher

April 13th, 2013, 10:55 am

And Jonathan King.And rumours of other popstars.Soon there'll be no songs on the radio at all.P
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On