SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Hamilton

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 4:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonPutin gassed the school killing many civilians in 2002. The family emigrated to the United States in 2003.gassed the schoolindeed, but that was Putin not Bush, so why would the kids take it out on the US ?Given Putins willingness to kill civilians, I don't think its hard to figure out. Also, they hate "the West",so any westerner will do.

trackstar
Topic Author

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 4:46 pm

A few details on the brothers.The older one, Tamerlan, seems possibly to have been the leader. They had both lived here for about ten years and he got his citizenship oddly enough, on 9/11/12; the younger brother, Dzhokhar, was "legalized" in 2007, one source said. Tamerlan spent a few semesters at Bunker Hill Community College, studying engineering, but left school to train in boxing - he won the Golden Gloves award twice. It is not clear if he had a job and he was arrested on charges of domestic violence in 2009. I wonder if this is what caused the breach in the family - his uncle speaking from Maryland indicated that there was a rift in 2009, but did not specify why. He was articulate and ferocious in his long interview outside his house. I can see zerdna's point about the strong Chechen nature. The younger brother, Dzhokhar, was in a good high school here - Cambridge Ringe and Latin and graduated in 2011. By all accounts he was a good student and athlete, well-liked by teachers and classmates. He was currently enrolled at UMass Dartmouth, possibly interested in becoming a doctor.They lived together in Cambridge for some years and Dzhokhar also had a dorm room at UM Dartmouth. That is currently cordoned off and there is a large police presence there now. A neighbor who was interviewed said that the older brother may have gone deeper into Islam about a year ago - growing a long beard, wearing traditional clothing and talking more about religion. The neighbor said that behavior had stopped recently; he went clean shaven and started wearing European/American style clothing again.Quite a bit of hearsay and extrapolation, but it looks like Tamerlan was having a hard time with his post high school direction in life and might have become radicalized, even while living here. Then he drew his brother in.I wonder if Dzhokhar may not just turn himself in, if the opportunity presents itself. He is probably not well-trained for this and is most likely making decisions alone now. However, there may be other suspects or more of a network than has been disclosed to the media. There is no information flowing on that at all.Several cars have been searched, including a silver Honda CRV, the black Mercedes and a green Honda (possibly Civic or Accord). At least one other car, a red Accord-like vehicle has been towed away in Cambridge. The two hottest spots are still Watertown and Cambridge. There will be a controlled blast at the apartment in Cambridge later today. Black Hawk helicopters, hundreds if not thousands of law enforcement around those areas. The T is still closed, Logan is very tight and they may have shut down the Amtrak train service between Boston and Providence.Anyway, much of this you can get on the wires, but that is a collection of the best information available over the past few hours.**Correction - Dzhokhar got his US citizenship on 9/11/12. Tamerlan was not naturalized.
Last edited by trackstar on April 18th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gardener3

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 6:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.
Last edited by gardener3 on April 18th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar He was currently enrolled at UMass Dartmouth, possibly interested in becoming a doctor.I still think of that as southeastern massachussetts university, used to drive very close to there on the way to the cape

Hamilton

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Boston terrorist Tamerlan Tsarnaev's YouTube channel is replete with Islamist videos as seen here
Last edited by Hamilton on April 18th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.

Hamilton

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarA few details on the brothers.The younger brother, Dzhokhar, was in a good high school here - Cambridge Ringe and Latin and graduated in 2011. By all accounts he was a good student and athlete, well-liked by teachers and classmates. He was currently enrolled at UMass Dartmouth, possibly interested in becoming a doctor.....Quite a bit of hearsay and extrapolation, but it looks like Tamerlan was having a hard time with his post high school direction in life and might have become radicalized, even while living here. Then he drew his brother in.I wonder if Dzhokhar may not just turn himself in, if the opportunity presents itself. He is probably not well-trained for this and is most likely making decisions alone now. However, there may be other suspects or more of a network than has been disclosed to the media. There is no information flowing on that at all.Several cars have been searched, including a silver Honda CRV, the black Mercedes and a green Honda (possibly Civic or Accord). At least one other car, a red Accord-like vehicle has been towed away in Cambridge. The two hottest spots are still Watertown and Cambridge. There will be a controlled blast at the apartment in Cambridge later today. Black Hawk helicopters, hundreds if not thousands of law enforcement around those areas. The T is still closed, Logan is very tight and they may have shut down the Amtrak train service between Boston and Providence.Anyway, much of this you can get on the wires, but that is a collection of the best information available over the past few hours.Daniel Pipes wrote about this phenomenon back in 1995 (The Western Mind of Radical Islam) that relocated Islamic children become far more radical than their parents and also usually pursue advanced technicaleducations in the engineering and medical sciences, as Canada's first family of terrorism Omar Khadr demonstrates.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonPutin gassed the school killing many civilians in 2002. The family emigrated to the United States in 2003.gassed the schoolindeed, but that was Putin not Bush, so why would the kids take it out on the US ?Given Putins willingness to kill civilians, I don't think its hard to figure out. Also, they hate "the West",so any westerner will do.indeed, they hate the west.But the US has sided with militant islam against Russia and Russia's friend Serbia, be it with actual troops (Kosovo and Bosnia) or criticising Russia's actions in chechnya, for example clinton complains to putin about chechnya. Chechnya seems to be the issue that most caused the rift in US-Russian relations post the end of the cold war.Evidently standing up for the Chechens hasn't won the US any friends among the Chechens

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.it's only about 200 miles to the canadian border from boston

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Boston Bomber Could Have Been Deported After 2009 Arrest

Hamilton

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 7:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonPutin gassed the school killing many civilians in 2002. The family emigrated to the United States in 2003.gassed the schoolindeed, but that was Putin not Bush, so why would the kids take it out on the US ?Given Putins willingness to kill civilians, I don't think its hard to figure out. Also, they hate "the West",so any westerner will do.indeed, they hate the west.But the US has sided with militant islam against Russia and Russia's friend Serbia, be it with actual troops (Kosovo and Bosnia) or criticising Russia's actions in chechnya, for example clinton complains to putin about chechnya. Chechnya seems to be the issue that most caused the rift in US-Russian relations post the end of the cold war.Evidently standing up for the Chechens hasn't won the US any friends among the ChechensAmerica is the Great Satan.

gardener3

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 8:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.OMG, we must alert the authorities with this important piece of information. The whole city is shut down, you don't think the police contacted all his relatives, friends, or anyone else these guys ever spoke with? So, tell me how this plays out. He finds a crossing point and goes on foot and being expert navigator manages to find his way to the city without food or means of communication and hope the aunt is home. But then what? If he is as dumb as you guys are it'll only hasten his capture.

Hamilton

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 8:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.OMG, we must alert the authorities with this important piece of information. The whole city is shut down, you don't think the police contacted all his relatives, friends, or anyone else these guys ever spoke with? So, tell me how this plays out. He finds a crossing point and goes on foot and being expert navigator manages to find his way to the city without food or means of communication and hope the aunt is home. But then what? If he is as dumb as you guys are it'll only hasten his capture.I listened to an interview on Canadian television with his aunt today, so you may want to switch to decaf.

zerdna

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 9:45 pm

I got to admit there seems like a lot of missing parts in this story. Putting together remotely controlled bombs, testing them to make sure they work, etc takes time and certain discipline, seemingly takes a different personality type than these guys have if i were to believe everything that happened. They blew bombs and they sat around for almost 4 days, then run, robbed a store, killed a policeman, hijacked a mercedes? The dead brother allegedly owned a Mercedes -- in 4 days he could have sold it -- it's a better way to raise some money than to rob a store. He could have sold it in preparation for the bombing as well. These guys have made some preparations -- according to the story they had guns they shot and explosives that they threw at police. They did not make home the guns they shot and the bombs they threw, i am guessing. So if they got as far as buying grenades in advance, why had they made zero preparation for leaving Boston?Then, what about these reports about Lord and Taylor video of 'dark skinned individual' putting a backpack in place of the explosion? I guess i could buy that "dark skinned" could be someone wishful thinking, although that's hardly the predisposition of US media. I guess i could buy that CNN and CBS and everyone else were simultaneously misinformed by their sources that the individual in question was arrested and is in Federal courthouse. Then no one was arrested and there is a bomb alert in the same federal courhouse that was evacuated. Shit happens i guess, and a lot of strange shit has happened there. What i don't get with all due respect is why FBI didn't release the video from Lord and Taylor that implicates these Chechen guys by showing how they place backpack with explosives. I'd be much happier to see this video instead of video of two dudes strolling around. Whatever the story is, it seems to me, it could not end with these two kids.

traderjoe1976

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 9:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.OMG, we must alert the authorities with this important piece of information. The whole city is shut down, you don't think the police contacted all his relatives, friends, or anyone else these guys ever spoke with? So, tell me how this plays out. He finds a crossing point and goes on foot and being expert navigator manages to find his way to the city without food or means of communication and hope the aunt is home. But then what? If he is as dumb as you guys are it'll only hasten his capture.You of course, know everything. If you listened to the interview with his Aunt, you would realize that their entire family believes that they are innocent and are being framed. They will probably try to slip the kid some cash so that he can survive. The logical thing to do is to run for the border.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On