SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
gardener3
Posts: 1496
Joined: April 5th, 2004, 3:25 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.OMG, we must alert the authorities with this important piece of information. The whole city is shut down, you don't think the police contacted all his relatives, friends, or anyone else these guys ever spoke with? So, tell me how this plays out. He finds a crossing point and goes on foot and being expert navigator manages to find his way to the city without food or means of communication and hope the aunt is home. But then what? If he is as dumb as you guys are it'll only hasten his capture.I listened to an interview on Canadian television with his aunt today, so you may want to switch to decaf.You think those tv cameras will scare him off when he arrives? I find decaf coffee, much like light beer, offensive.
 
User avatar
gardener3
Posts: 1496
Joined: April 5th, 2004, 3:25 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.OMG, we must alert the authorities with this important piece of information. The whole city is shut down, you don't think the police contacted all his relatives, friends, or anyone else these guys ever spoke with? So, tell me how this plays out. He finds a crossing point and goes on foot and being expert navigator manages to find his way to the city without food or means of communication and hope the aunt is home. But then what? If he is as dumb as you guys are it'll only hasten his capture.You of course, know everything. If you listened to the interview with his Aunt, you would realize that their entire family believes that they are innocent and are being framed. They will probably try to slip the kid some cash so that he can survive. The logical thing to do is to run for the border.That's the point dummy! Let's ignore the logistical difficulties of crossing the border on foot (have you tried finding your way through miles of woods and rough terrain without any equipment). If you are searching for someone, you look for close relatives, friends, people who are sympathetic and who believe the perpetrator is innocent. If the news crew can find the aunt's house, so can the cops.
 
User avatar
Hamilton
Posts: 5976
Joined: July 23rd, 2001, 6:25 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.OMG, we must alert the authorities with this important piece of information. The whole city is shut down, you don't think the police contacted all his relatives, friends, or anyone else these guys ever spoke with? So, tell me how this plays out. He finds a crossing point and goes on foot and being expert navigator manages to find his way to the city without food or means of communication and hope the aunt is home. But then what? If he is as dumb as you guys are it'll only hasten his capture.You of course, know everything. If you listened to the interview with his Aunt, you would realize that their entire family believes that they are innocent and are being framed. They will probably try to slip the kid some cash so that he can survive. The logical thing to do is to run for the border.That's the point dummy! Let's ignore the logistical difficulties of crossing the border on foot (have you tried finding your way through miles of woods and rough terrain without any equipment). If you are searching for someone, you look for close relatives, friends, people who are sympathetic and who believe the perpetrator is innocent. If the news crew can find the aunt's house, so can the cops.Its a good thing he has a very small family and they are immensely co-operative with the authorities, as well as having no possible sympathizers in the area.
 
User avatar
gardener3
Posts: 1496
Joined: April 5th, 2004, 3:25 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaI got to admit there seems like a lot of missing parts in this story. Putting together remotely controlled bombs, testing them to make sure they work, etc takes time and certain discipline, seemingly takes a different personality type than these guys have if i were to believe everything that happened. They blew bombs and they sat around for almost 4 days, then run, robbed a store, killed a policeman, hijacked a mercedes? The dead brother allegedly owned a Mercedes -- in 4 days he could have sold it -- it's a better way to raise some money than to rob a store. He could have sold it in preparation for the bombing as well. These guys have made some preparations -- according to the story they had guns they shot and explosives that they threw at police. They did not make home the guns they shot and the bombs they threw, i am guessing. So if they got as far as buying grenades in advance, why had they made zero preparation for leaving Boston?Then, what about these reports about Lord and Taylor video of 'dark skinned individual' putting a backpack in place of the explosion? I guess i could buy that "dark skinned" could be someone wishful thinking, although that's hardly the predisposition of US media. I guess i could buy that CNN and CBS and everyone else were simultaneously misinformed by their sources that the individual in question was arrested and is in Federal courthouse. Then no one was arrested and there is a bomb alert in the same federal courhouse that was evacuated. Shit happens i guess, and a lot of strange shit has happened there. What i don't get with all due respect is why FBI didn't release the video from Lord and Taylor that implicates these Chechen guys by showing how they place backpack with explosives. I'd be much happier to see this video instead of video of two dudes strolling around. Whatever the story is, it seems to me, it could not end with these two kids.I don't think these kids were acting alone either. I'll be more convinced if they can't find the younger kid in the next 48 hrs.
 
User avatar
Hamilton
Posts: 5976
Joined: July 23rd, 2001, 6:25 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaI got to admit there seems like a lot of missing parts in this story. Putting together remotely controlled bombs, testing them to make sure they work, etc takes time and certain discipline, seemingly takes a different personality type than these guys have if i were to believe everything that happened. They blew bombs and they sat around for almost 4 days, then run, robbed a store, killed a policeman, hijacked a mercedes? The dead brother allegedly owned a Mercedes -- in 4 days he could have sold it -- it's a better way to raise some money than to rob a store. He could have sold it in preparation for the bombing as well. These guys have made some preparations -- according to the story they had guns they shot and explosives that they threw at police. They did not make home the guns they shot and the bombs they threw, i am guessing. So if they got as far as buying grenades in advance, why had they made zero preparation for leaving Boston?Then, what about these reports about Lord and Taylor video of 'dark skinned individual' putting a backpack in place of the explosion? I guess i could buy that "dark skinned" could be someone wishful thinking, although that's hardly the predisposition of US media. I guess i could buy that CNN and CBS and everyone else were simultaneously misinformed by their sources that the individual in question was arrested and is in Federal courthouse. Then no one was arrested and there is a bomb alert in the same federal courhouse that was evacuated. Shit happens i guess, and a lot of strange shit has happened there. What i don't get with all due respect is why FBI didn't release the video from Lord and Taylor that implicates these Chechen guys by showing how they place backpack with explosives. I'd be much happier to see this video instead of video of two dudes strolling around. Whatever the story is, it seems to me, it could not end with these two kids.I've already read a couple of reports that the formation they used in a crowd was similar to the London Tube bombers, so they may not be showing the video for a reason.
 
User avatar
trackstar
Topic Author
Posts: 26770
Joined: August 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Just now in Watertown - a barrage of gun fire and possibly blood seen on a boat in a back yard. Quiet now - no confirmation, but lots of police and agents massing there.Have an aerial shot of the boat behind a house. Est. size maybe 20 feet long - a good place to hide.
Last edited by trackstar on April 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
gardener3
Posts: 1496
Joined: April 5th, 2004, 3:25 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Well if the dude manages to reach the Canadian border, he can just walk across at any place without encountering USA or Canadian immigration.And how is he going to get there? If he crosses the border how is he going to survive? This guy has to eat, he has to sleep. Maybe he has a little cash now, but in a couple days, he'll either show up dead or robbing a store. If he doesn't than there has to be network with more then two people involved.His aunt lives in Canada.OMG, we must alert the authorities with this important piece of information. The whole city is shut down, you don't think the police contacted all his relatives, friends, or anyone else these guys ever spoke with? So, tell me how this plays out. He finds a crossing point and goes on foot and being expert navigator manages to find his way to the city without food or means of communication and hope the aunt is home. But then what? If he is as dumb as you guys are it'll only hasten his capture.You of course, know everything. If you listened to the interview with his Aunt, you would realize that their entire family believes that they are innocent and are being framed. They will probably try to slip the kid some cash so that he can survive. The logical thing to do is to run for the border.That's the point dummy! Let's ignore the logistical difficulties of crossing the border on foot (have you tried finding your way through miles of woods and rough terrain without any equipment). If you are searching for someone, you look for close relatives, friends, people who are sympathetic and who believe the perpetrator is innocent. If the news crew can find the aunt's house, so can the cops.Its a good thing he has a very small family and they are immensely co-operative with the authorities, as well as having no possible sympathizers in the area.Yes, I am sure the cops pack up and go home once the people who are close to the most wanted man in america stop cooperating. Sympathizers, eh? I suggest we invade canada and root out those chechen terrorists before they do more damage.
 
User avatar
trackstar
Topic Author
Posts: 26770
Joined: August 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 10:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarJust now in Watertown - a barrage of gun fire and possibly blood seen on a boat in a back yard. Quiet now - no confirmation, but lots of police and agents massing there.Have an aerial shot of the boat behind a house. Est. size maybe 20 feet long - a good place to hide.News reports but no official confirmation: Now word is that they found the person using thermal imaging and it is the second suspect.Just confirmed: he is "pinned down" in that location.Not sure if dead or alive.
Last edited by trackstar on April 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
zerdna
Posts: 3856
Joined: July 14th, 2002, 3:00 am

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 11:28 pm

bet anything that whoever is in this boat is dead many times over. Well, that took just two million overweight policemen, fbi, etf, dea, swat, armored tracks, robots with explosives, infrared devices, and just about everything else short of air carriers and cruise missiles.
 
User avatar
trackstar
Topic Author
Posts: 26770
Joined: August 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 11:30 pm

One police officer dead, 16 wounded. No civilian casualties.Marathon was Monday.This is Friday.Good work. He is not dead yet - they are tracking motion in the boat and there is yelling back and forth.
Last edited by trackstar on April 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
tagoma
Posts: 18259
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 11:35 pm

"cultural clash", they commented
 
User avatar
trackstar
Topic Author
Posts: 26770
Joined: August 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Official sources say that he has turned himself in. He is wounded and will be taken to the hospital.
Last edited by trackstar on April 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
tagoma
Posts: 18259
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 11:53 pm

"into custody", the red-headed female reporter said on BBG TV
Last edited by tagoma on April 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
zerdna
Posts: 3856
Joined: July 14th, 2002, 3:00 am

Boston Marathon 2013

April 19th, 2013, 11:56 pm

yeap, i was wrong. Before they said police riddled this boat with bullets, now they say they never even shot at it. Don't believe anything you hear and only 10% of what u see, as my ex girlfriend used to say. I hope this one is more alive than Ossama.
 
User avatar
trackstar
Topic Author
Posts: 26770
Joined: August 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Boston Marathon 2013

April 20th, 2013, 12:00 am

He was already wounded - they found him because a homeowner discovered a trail of blood leading to the boat.They have no reason to lie about this. There was a conversation, he came out of the boat, is in custody and will be treated at the hospital.If he survives his injuries tonight, then we will find out more tomorrow.
Last edited by trackstar on April 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...


GZIP: On